What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Pryor leaves Ohio State (was: We now take you to Columbus, Ohio)

Are we going back to Columbus in this thread yet?

Getting back to Columbus!

Here is a link for some interesting reading and for some off season discussion.

I'm not sure Ohio State thinks there is going to be much of a drop off without the "Tattoo Crew" playing the first 5 games. I think they will be missed more than many think (in Ohio anyway).

Here are some predictions:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ctions-for-the-games-tressel-and-co-will-miss

Thoughts?

I'm not sure Ohio State thinks there is going to be much of a drop off without the "Tattoo Crew" playing the first 5 games. I think they will be missed more than many think (in Ohio anyway).

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ctions-for-the-games-tressel-and-co-will-miss

Thoughts?

First thought: **** OSU. Second thought: Still going to be a very tough game to win, but much more winnable in the current state of affairs.

Third thought: thanks for getting back on topic.

lolcats-finish-him.jpg

Thoughts?
How can a "writer" make 6 predictions about Ohio State's first 5 games without mentioning Colorado? Exhaustive journalism...

Why do I have the feeling that something else is going to come out in this situation.

Tressel was dirty before he got to Ohio State, he tried to slide the tatoos for memorabilia thing under the rug then lied about it after, the Auburn guys on the TV special mentioned OSU, they have some players with sketchy recruiting backgrounds and boosters with money and a "desire to help the program win."

Now that the door is opened how much longer till something else comes up to pile onto the situation.

Pryor may be leaving because he is involved in some of the stuff and faces a bigger suspension. Remember that his recruitment went way past LOI day and there were some loud whispers about it then.

Don't know what it is but something definitely smells coming out of Columbus (and it isn't the same smell as has been present in Lincoln all these years, it's more than animal waste.)

i just want the final nail to hammer them

This could be it.

Former Ohio State wide receiver Ray Small said Friday a campus newspaper twisted his words and that he has no knowledge of other players breaking NCAA rules.

"I've come back to retract my words, because there's two sides to every story, and I want to tell the world my side of the story," Small said in an interview Friday with ESPN's Tom Farrey.

The newspaper, The Lantern, said it stands by its story and everything Small said is on tape. On Friday, Small said he sold his own memorabilia, but he never said everyone was doing it.

Small said he acquired the Chrysler 300 through Aaron Kniffin, the former Columbus, Ohio, used car salesman whose transactions to football and other Buckeye athletes have come under scrutiny by officials from a state agency as well as the university's athletic compliance department. Kniffin confirmed to ESPN that he sold the car to Small, or more specifically his grandmother whose credit was used to qualify for the loan.

Small said during his time at Ohio State he drove three cars acquired through Kniffin who encouraged him to use other people to secure the financing. He lacked the credit to qualify for a loan on his own. He said one of the other cars was purchased through his parents, and the other through his then-girlfriend's mother.

He said he was referred to Kniffin by teammates, as the Jack Maxton Chevrolet and later Auto Direct salesman was popular among players. He said they gravitated to Kniffin because he was "cool" with Ohio State players, not because they believed he would give them the discounts based on their athletic stature.

The Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles is investigating at least 50 transactions to try to determine whether athletes and their relatives received discounts not available to the public, which would be a violation of NCAA rules. Ohio State, which has suspended its investigation until the BMV investigation is complete, has said it has no reason to believe any violations occurred.

More **** is hitting the fan....
http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-fo...u-compliance-director-called-me-over-50-times
Aaron Kniffin, the Columbus, Ohio car salesman linked to Ohio State’s internal investigation into athletes receiving alleged preferential treatment, told Sporting News on Friday that every deal he made with players was cleared by the school’s NCAA compliance department — in direct contrast to Ohio State’s claims.

Kniffin said he has sold more than 50 cars to Ohio State athletes and/or their relatives over the last five years, and that the OSU compliance staff directed players and relatives to him. OSU compliance director Doug Archie told The Columbus Dispatch that he had spoken to Kniffin only once and that he never sends players to dealerships.

"Kniffin said he has sold more than 50 cars to Ohio State athletes and/or their relatives over the last five years, and that the OSU compliance staff directed players and relatives to him."

Ouch. That one's gotta leave a mark. Taking it beyond Tressel puts the lack of institutional control charge in play, if it wasn't already.

sounds like tOSU is trying to throw Kiffin under the bus. if in fact tOSU's compliance people cleared it, Kiff should have receipts, bill of sale and documentation etc. one would think....both sides could be dirty and doing the rat off a sinking ship blame game...as well.

sounds like tOSU is trying to throw Kiffin under the bus. if in fact tOSU's compliance people cleared it, Kiff should have receipts, bill of sale and documentation etc. one would think....both sides could be dirty and doing the rat off a sinking ship blame game...as well.

Just means that they are all rats in this case.

People who stretch the rules tend to associate with others who are willing to stretch the rules. The big problem for OSU as you state is that this isn't like a $100 handshake, cars changing hands means paperwork that is available for review and hard to argue with.

The next step here is for a couple of these car "sales" to show up in the name of some relative who is clearly not eligable for credit and doesn't have the means to purchase the car, especially as a "gift" for some nephew or cousin who they rarely ever see.

OSU should have taken a lesson from some other schools and jumped on this from the very start. Instead of denying that anything wrong had happened they should have thrown the 5 guys under the bus, made a big deal out of doing an "internal investigation," self-reported on a few other things to make it look like they had really done an investigation, acted on those, and moved on.

Had they done that the media would have been happy to have a little blood to report and OSU would have had time to push some of this other stuff under the table and likely move on with minimal consequences. Instead by insisting that they were pure as the driven snow they provoked the media to continue following up and eventually to dirt comes out. Now that they are on the trail I wonder what other "surprises" are just waiting to come out.

“Doug Archie has called me well over 50 times,” Kniffin said. “This year alone, I’ve talked to him 25-30 times. You can print out your Verizon (phone) bills; his numbers are right there calling me.”
When asked why Archie, who did not immediately respond to voice mail messages, said he only spoke to Kniffin once and denied that the deals were approved by OSU compliance, Kniffin said, “That’s something you’ll have to ask him. I’ve got records of it.”
Jim Lynch, of Ohio State media relations, told Sporting News: “There was a misunderstanding with the original Dispatch story. While Doug Archie did in fact only speak to Aaron Kniffin once while he was at the first car dealership he worked at, they spoke often when Mr. Kniffin changed jobs and moved to the second dealership he worked at.”

Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/feed/2010-12/osu-suspensions/story/car-dealer-osu-compliance-director-called-me-over-50-times#ixzz1NelmoD5b

Looks like OSU backpedaling again with their compliance director getting caught this time in a lie. I actually feel bad for the normal OSU fan, as I remember what it feels like when your team is at the center of a media circus. It is getting to the point where the regents need to start stepping in and cleaning house. Tressel has to go, the AD and compliance folks and even Gee may need to go as well. It may not be fair in all cases, but OSU is absolutely saturated with this cheating stench.

As much as I loved what started to be built at CU during his time here, I have to now question whether Gordon Gee allows an environment that is ripe for abuse.

As much as I loved what started to be built at CU during his time here, I have to now question whether Gordon Gee allows an environment that is ripe for abuse.
Gee wants to win he doesnt care how.

despite the uncritical adulation of the guy among CU fans and AB, i never really liked the guy here or at Vandy (where i went for two years). he always seemed like a guy who was an opportunist....

no big surprise for me a lot of shady shizz went on under his watch.

I think they should get hit harder than USC but doubt they will.

It would be hard to get hit harder than USC. If you look at their sanctions, they're pretty harsh. Of course, USC is pretending that they never happened in the first place. Convenient. I guess they figure if they ignore the NCAA, it'll just go away.

Sooner or later tOSU regents are going to say "enough is enough" and send him packing. If he stays through this whole situation I'll be shocked.

Yeah, but I mean the very end, when he actually died. That was very sudden...

Back