What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

PSU players released from scholarship

We may actually have some "ins" with some upperclassmen on the PSU roster:

Ryan Scherer

5651142.jpeg

arrow.gif
Class:
Senior
arrow.gif
Hometown:
Avon Lake, Ohio
arrow.gif
High School:
Avon Lake
arrow.gif
Height / Weight:
5-8 / 176
arrow.gif
Position:
WR
arrow.gif
Experience:
JR
arrow.gif
H.S. Coach:
Dave Dlugosz

Ryan Scherer continues to work hard on the practice field and in the weight room in his bid to break into the wideout rotation. Scherer played in two games last year and gained significant experience during spring practice. He has good hands and continues to make steady progress up the depth chart. Scherer is another member of the 2011 squad who has family ties to Penn State football. A Dean's List student, Scherer owned a superlative 3.76 cumulative grade-point average through the spring semester and is a potential Academic All-Big Ten candidate. He is on schedule to graduate in December.

2010 Junior Season

Scherer continued to improve and saw action against Youngstown State and Kent State, while also playing an important role on the foreign team.

2009 Sophomore Season
Scherer made his Nittany Lion debut in the win over Eastern Illinois.

2008 Freshman Season
Redshirt season.

High School
Scherer was an all-conference wide receiver, safety and kick returner for Coach Dave Dlugosz at Avon Lake HS. A two-year starter and letterman, Scherer was named first-team All-Southwest Conference, All-Lorain County, All-Northeast Ohio District, and honorable-mention All-Ohio. He made 27 receptions for 571 yards and eight touchdowns, along with 19 kick returns for 166 yards as a senior. He also made 28 tackles and grabbed an interception in his senior season and helped his team to conference championships in 2005 and 2007. He played in the 2008 Lorain County All-Star game. Scherer was captain of the track and field team and was third-team all-conference in the 4x400 and a district finalist his junior and senior years.

Personal
Full name is Ryan Michael Scherer. His parents are Rip and Michele Scherer. His father was a graduate assistant coach at Penn State in 1974 and '75 and his grandfather, William Scherer, played for the Nittany Lions from 1945-49. Rip Scherer is the assistant head coach and quarterbacks coach at the University of Colorado and the former head coach at James Madison and the University of Memphis. Ryan has two older siblings, Scott and Melanie. Scott played quarterback at Memphis from 1999-2002. Ryan enjoys music, movies and spending time with friends. Scherer is a finance major in the Smeal College of Business and owned a superlative 3.76 cumulative grade-point average through the spring semester. Born May 14, 1990 in Tucson, Ariz.

http://www.gopsusports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/scherer_ryan00.html

We may actually have some "ins" with some upperclassmen on the PSU roster:

Ryan Scherer

5651142.jpeg

arrow.gif

Class:
Senior

arrow.gif

Hometown:
Avon Lake, Ohio

arrow.gif

High School:
Avon Lake

arrow.gif

Height / Weight:
5-8 / 176

arrow.gif

Position:
WR

arrow.gif

Experience:
JR

arrow.gif

H.S. Coach:
Dave Dlugosz

Ryan Scherer continues to work hard on the practice field and in the weight room in his bid to break into the wideout rotation. Scherer played in two games last year and gained significant experience during spring practice. He has good hands and continues to make steady progress up the depth chart. Scherer is another member of the 2011 squad who has family ties to Penn State football. A Dean's List student, Scherer owned a superlative 3.76 cumulative grade-point average through the spring semester and is a potential Academic All-Big Ten candidate. He is on schedule to graduate in December.

2010 Junior Season

Scherer continued to improve and saw action against Youngstown State and Kent State, while also playing an important role on the foreign team.

2009 Sophomore Season
Scherer made his Nittany Lion debut in the win over Eastern Illinois.

2008 Freshman Season
Redshirt season.

High School
Scherer was an all-conference wide receiver, safety and kick returner for Coach Dave Dlugosz at Avon Lake HS. A two-year starter and letterman, Scherer was named first-team All-Southwest Conference, All-Lorain County, All-Northeast Ohio District, and honorable-mention All-Ohio. He made 27 receptions for 571 yards and eight touchdowns, along with 19 kick returns for 166 yards as a senior. He also made 28 tackles and grabbed an interception in his senior season and helped his team to conference championships in 2005 and 2007. He played in the 2008 Lorain County All-Star game. Scherer was captain of the track and field team and was third-team all-conference in the 4x400 and a district finalist his junior and senior years.

Personal
Full name is Ryan Michael Scherer. His parents are Rip and Michele Scherer. His father was a graduate assistant coach at Penn State in 1974 and '75 and his grandfather, William Scherer, played for the Nittany Lions from 1945-49. Rip Scherer is the assistant head coach and quarterbacks coach at the University of Colorado and the former head coach at James Madison and the University of Memphis. Ryan has two older siblings, Scott and Melanie. Scott played quarterback at Memphis from 1999-2002. Ryan enjoys music, movies and spending time with friends. Scherer is a finance major in the Smeal College of Business and owned a superlative 3.76 cumulative grade-point average through the spring semester. Born May 14, 1990 in Tucson, Ariz.

http://www.gopsusports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/scherer_ryan00.html

3.76 GPA and graduating in December. Kid would have to want to play football really bad to leave that behind.

Does have two years of eligibility left so if he could finish his degree here and do his grad program but even with everything going on more likely he just doesn't play football and finishes up rather than transfer.

3.76 GPA and graduating in December. Kid would have to want to play football really bad to leave that behind.

Does have two years of eligibility left so if he could finish his degree here and do his grad program but even with everything going on more likely he just doesn't play football and finishes up rather than transfer.

He was a junior in 2010. 2011 was his last season.

He was a junior in 2010. 2011 was his last season.

didn't even look at the years, was reading his class by class. Duh! show's how much attention I'm paying.

Anybody want to finish up the set up on the computer I reformatted so I can pay more attention to important things, like Allbuffs.

didn't even look at the years, was reading his class by class. Duh! show's how much attention I'm paying.

Anybody want to finish up the set up on the computer I reformatted so I can pay more attention to important things, like Allbuffs.

No.

Noticed on the espin runner that some of their higher rated recruits have pledged allegiance; but one, a 4* CB has decommitted. He may have opened the flood gates.

I simply don't understand how any recruit of any caliber could stay committed to them. If you aren't even going to get a shot at a championship or a bowl game - then what's the point?

That place is going to be in turmoil for the next 3 years. Seems like a silly choice for some of these recruits.

I simply don't understand how any recruit of any caliber could stay committed to them. If you aren't even going to get a shot at a championship or a bowl game - then what's the point?

That place is going to be in turmoil for the next 3 years. Seems like a silly choice for some of these recruits.
Give them some time, most will figure it out....

Give them some time, most will figure it out....

Kind of a sick analogy, but I see this turning out kind of like the aftermath of 9/11 - at first, everyone rallied around the cause and no one played partisan politics. In about 1 year, that all fell apart. At Ped State, the players and students will rally, but then their friends, family, media, etc will start to seep into their conscience and the team will disintegrate.

Another interesting twist. Any scholarship athlete who wants to, as long as they stay academically eligible, may choose not to participate in the sport and still retain the scholly.

In other words. "Coach, practice sucks and you aren't playing me enough, I'm just going to be a student and you get to pay for it."

Kind of a sick analogy, but I see this turning out kind of like the aftermath of 9/11 - at first, everyone rallied around the cause and no one played partisan politics. In about 1 year, that all fell apart. At Ped State, the players and students will rally, but then their friends, family, media, etc will start to seep into their conscience and the team will disintegrate.

I can see this happening. Lose a couple games and the good feelings go away replaced by the reality of the situation.

I hope the special clause mentioned by the ncaa -- i.e., being able to go over the total # of schollies next year if you take a pennst player -- doesn't apply to other teams already on ncaa restrictions. [cough] u$c [cough]

Kiffin making a hard push to get Silas Redd to fill the weak RB link of USC team

http://espn.go.com/college-football...edd?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

God I hate Kiffin

At the Media Day Q&A Kiffin might as well have been flashing a neon sign "Silas Redd come play here." He referenced needing to shore up their RB depth 3 or 4 times and how there would be a lot of opportunities for a RB to shine there since teams were likely planning to load up against the pass when playing them. Someone even asked him if they were pursuing him and he said they couldn't talk about specific players just like HS guys.

It would be interesting to see if they are restricted to 15 recruits, graduated a normal class last season, and have say 15-20 guys leave the program they could end up with 60 scholarship players this year. Another class of 15 next year replacing a graduating class of say 20 and you are suddenly in the 50's not counting walk-ons.

Is the option to leave without penalty restricted to this year or could a player stay for a year then take advantage next off-season. If that is the case they may see the ship sinking and end up with a mass bail-out next year.

PSU has 3 guys from Texas plus 1 from Kansas and Arizona

You're missing the point of my post. We need a fast gamebreaker WR and after skimming their roster (thanks Buffnik) and operating in a fantasy world, I wish we could convince this guy to transfer to CU.

You're missing the point of my post. We need a fast gamebreaker WR and after skimming their roster (thanks Buffnik) and operating in a fantasy world, I wish we could convince this guy to transfer to CU.

It wasn´t solely aimed at you, just more of a general statement.

It would be interesting to see if they are restricted to 15 recruits, graduated a normal class last season, and have say 15-20 guys leave the program they could end up with 60 scholarship players this year. Another class of 15 next year replacing a graduating class of say 20 and you are suddenly in the 50's not counting walk-ons.

Is the option to leave without penalty restricted to this year or could a player stay for a year then take advantage next off-season. If that is the case they may see the ship sinking and end up with a mass bail-out next year.

Pretty sure they can exercise their transfer option any time during the next 4 years...so if things start to really go south in say year 2, the NCAA wanted to make sure the players still have a get out of jail free card.

Pretty sure they can exercise their transfer option any time during the next 4 years...so if things start to really go south in say year 2, the NCAA wanted to make sure the players still have a get out of jail free card.

I thought I read somewhere (here, of course) that they have until pre-season 2013 to transfer.

Guy id love to have is Mauti. He talked yesterday and hes not going anywhere. Hes a very good player, he'd start right away.

Back