What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Pull The Offer?

Screw that. That is not how this business works. You need to have both your feet in one program or the other. If he wants to coach the bowl game then he can stay at Cincinnati. If he wants to be at Colorado then they are on their own for the bowl game.

Unreasonable, IMO. Coaches often are allowed to coach their last game before moving on. It happens. I think we need to collectively take a step back from the ledge, here. Lots of wild speculation and finger pointing without any actual facts. Let this play out.

In my experience, and I've written lots and lots of contracts, they all must be perishable. You cannot say "here you go and let us know what you think some time soon". It sounds like we offered him everything including the kitchen sink. There MUST be a deadline, if not, we are not doing very smart business. Now, maybe we gave him until Friday at noon, who knows? One thing for sure, if we do not have plan B locked and loaded, we're gonna look like fools.

Way to early to be talking about pulling the offer. Waaaay too early

You don't pull the offer. You bring other coaches in to hedge your bets and force a decision from Butch.

Screw that. That is not how this business works. You need to have both your feet in one program or the other. If he wants to coach the bowl game then he can stay at Cincinnati. If he wants to be at Colorado then they are on their own for the bowl game.

There is an NCAA blackout period staring in a about 10 days that will extend past bowl season. I don't see him coaching a bowl game as a big issue of any kind. N

Doesn't he need that time to hire a staff??

I think he knows who to hire. They have reasons for having coaching conventions besides making fun of Lou Holtz. :smile2:

More importantly he needs to evaluate our current class, none of whom he might be familiar with, then decide ho to keep and who to let go. If we hired him now he'd have about 10 days to do some recruiting.

I think he knows who to hire. They have reasons for having coaching conventions besides making fun of Lou Holtz. :smile2:

More importantly he needs to evaluate our current class, none of whom he might be familiar with, then decide ho to keep and who to let go. If we hired him now he'd have about 10 days to do some recruiting.
especially if he is bringing his current staff...and pretty sure he could be talking to other possible coaches, no rule against that. Who knows, all this might have been presented and dealt with on Monday? and what did the comment by Bohn "real productive day" mean??

Conspiracy in another direction - the Belk Bowl is 3 weeks. Maybe BJ told Bohn that he's taking the CU job but that everyone had to keep their friggin mouths shut because (here's the conspiracy) - he plans to bring just about his entire staff to CU. If that were indeed the case and the entire Bearcat team knew that, how would bowl practice/the game go? Who would even coach the game (not anyone from an entire staff planning to relocate).

I do think if he currently intends to stay, he would have already said so. Is he coming to CU?...don't know.

coachingsearch.com - Wisconsin: Don't be surprised if Seattle Seahawks offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell emerges as a candidate for the Wisconsin head coaching job.

Conspiracy in another direction - the Belk Bowl is 3 weeks. Maybe BJ told Bohn that he's taking the CU job but that everyone had to keep their friggin mouths shut because (here's the conspiracy) - he plans to bring just about his entire staff to CU. If that were indeed the case and the entire Bearcat team knew that, how would bowl practice/the game go? Who would even coach the game (not anyone from an entire staff planning to relocate). yep ^^

Conspiracy in another direction - the Belk Bowl is 3 weeks. Maybe BJ told Bohn that he's taking the CU job but that everyone had to keep their friggin mouths shut because (here's the conspiracy) - he plans to bring just about his entire staff to CU. If that were indeed the case and the entire Bearcat team knew that, how would bowl practice/the game go? Who would even coach the game (not anyone from an entire staff planning to relocate).

I do think if he currently intends to stay, he would have already said so. Is he coming to CU?...don't know.

coachingsearch.com - Wisconsin: Don't be surprised if Seattle Seahawks offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell emerges as a candidate for the Wisconsin head coaching job.

Why aren't we looking at anyone from the pro ranks (above TE coach)? No good candidates?

Conspiracy in another direction - the Belk Bowl is 3 weeks. Maybe BJ told Bohn that he's taking the CU job but that everyone had to keep their friggin mouths shut because (here's the conspiracy) - he plans to bring just about his entire staff to CU. If that were indeed the case and the entire Bearcat team knew that, how would bowl practice/the game go? Who would even coach the game (not anyone from an entire staff planning to relocate). yep ^^

This happened to us 3 years ago with Brian Kelly. He left to get set up, make the calls and start recruiting, left his staff behind to coach the game then brought most of them to ND shortly after. He would not need his whole staff the first day.

Pulling the offer is an amateur move.

We're throwing around the big bucks, have to live with prospect of not closing every deal. If we can't live with that, don't play at the high stakes table.

For once, CU is running this like a business, same way teams like the Yankees do. Running from that position is weak. Not surprised local media is suggesting pulling the offer, they're small time.

Pull the offer....give jones a deadline just before cu vs csu tip off....any answer but yes we pull the offer.
Put a tent on this circus

Time to pull the offer.

I think that Bohn still believes Jones is coming here. Otherwise, the offer would have been pulled already. Too much time has passed. Something is happening, I just don't think any of us know what it is.

Agreed.....but should we be at the mercy of jones ? Or put the pressure on? Bohn (if already hasnt) needs to call him

Poorly handled, there was no rush, they put all their eggs in one basket. Bohnhead and co should be calling other candidates now, expanding the search. Can't believe our AD don't even know how to make a deal, poor.

shut up, like you know whats going on

Haha.....time to move forward......everyone is hiring coaches but us......cincy? Really? Midwest blows....9-3 season with 15k stadium filled? Going to a crappy conference? No money or facilities? Yeah i would think that over for a couple days....

Pulling the offer is an amateur move.

We're throwing around the big bucks, have to live with prospect of not closing every deal. If we can't live with that, don't play at the high stakes table.

For once, CU is running this like a business, same way teams like the Yankees do. Running from that position is weak. Not surprised local media is suggesting pulling the offer, they're small time.
Probably right on pulling the offer. CU should have had an expiration date when they offered it though. Who knows, maybe they did.

Haha.....time to move forward......everyone is hiring coaches but us......cincy? Really? Midwest blows....9-3 season with 15k stadium filled? Going to a crappy conference? No money or facilities? Yeah i would think that over for a couple days....

uh no, there are still a lot of schools that have been searching longer than us

I'm mostly pissed because we are not being given any sort of timeline. If he needs till the end of his day to finish his business then fine, but he needs to let people know.

I'm mostly pissed because we are not being given any sort of timeline. If he needs till the end of his day to finish his business then fine, but he needs to let people know.

Don't you think he is in contact with the people who need to know this stuff? I think as fans, we believe we should be privvy to way more information than we ultimately will be or should be. But seriously - why should we know what kind of timeline Butch has discussed with UC & CU officials?

When asked about a resolution Jones says, "Yes, Pretty soon." Uh, huh. What are you waiting for? Another offer?

Suppose Jones is asked how soon CU would start winning and says "Pretty Soon", I'm sure AllBuffers would love that! :bang:

Did Jones say when he was making his decision or was it his agent who planted the notion the decision would be forthcoming? If it was the latter I've never had much regard for agent speak. Sports agents are a useless entity as far as I am concerned and this may be another example of that.

On the other hand a very fair and generous offer has been tendered and as someone else said, a head coach, a man who should be capable of making big decisions should be able to decide before much more time passes.

Don't you think he is in contact with the people who need to know this stuff? I think as fans, we believe we should be privvy to way more information than we ultimately will be or should be. But seriously - why should we know what kind of timeline Butch has discussed with UC & CU officials?

I think that if you pony up enough money then you deserve to have some insight about what's going on. Other than that, I agree with you. I would like to know more but I certainly don't think I deserve to know more.

Back