What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

promoted QB Davis Webb Transferring to COLORADO from TTU (Committed to COLORADO)

A 4* QB who set numerous Big 12 freshman passing records, and was named MVP of a bowl game as a freshman is going to be buried on CU's depth chart?

Btw, I got this info from his Wikipedia page. Couldn't find any current CU QBs wiki pages so I couldn't really compare side by side.

That's the great thing about message boards: differences of opinion.

My opinion is that Webb is going to be an NFL quarterback which I can't say about any QB on CU's roster, has had success at the college level far beyond anyone on the CU roster, and if he came here would immediately make the Buffs a threat in a wide open Pac-12 South this season.

I see this as low risk, high reward. If you cannot find a scholarship for a one-year transfer at the most important position on the field, you are doing it wrong.

Fair enough; like I said, I can definitely see it that way as well. Committing a scholarship for a year is definitely low risk. I guess I'm not looking from the standpoint of someone who would be someone who's not coaching for a job next year, and MM and co. definitely are. Also, I may be influenced by recency bias with Jordan Webb, Connor Wood, and Logan Gray. Finally, it's hard to make a call without knowing the scholarship situation for next year, which I definitely don't (i don't think any of us do). I may also understand this incorrectly: as a transfer, does he count against the class limit? Or just against the 85?

Fair enough; like I said, I can definitely see it that way as well. Committing a scholarship for a year is definitely low risk. I guess I'm not looking from the standpoint of someone who would be someone who's not coaching for a job next year, and MM and co. definitely are. Also, I may be influenced by recency bias with Jordan Webb, Connor Wood, and Logan Gray. Finally, it's hard to make a call without knowing the scholarship situation for next year, which I definitely don't (i don't think any of us do). I may also understand this incorrectly: as a transfer, does he count against the class limit? Or just against the 85?

He wouldn't count against the class limit. The 25 won't effect us, though. We're way under the limit and won't be able to count enough guys backward next year through early enrollees and blueshirts to get to that 25 limit.

All upside for CU if they can land Webb, very little if any downside. It is great that Chiv has a relationship with the guy and that Chiv is going to be the Co-OC. What is more concerning is that if a bigger fish than CU, and the P5 has a few, recruits him. Florida State, Oregon, Florida, and quite a few others are in desperate need of a QB next year and have shown an openness to bringing in one-and-done graduate QB's (FSU and UO).

All upside for CU if they can land Webb, very little if any downside. It is great that Chiv has a relationship with the guy and that Chiv is going to be the Co-OC. What is more concerning is that if a bigger fish than CU, and the P5 has a few, recruits him. Florida State, Oregon, Florida, and quite a few others are in desperate need of a QB next year and have shown an openness to bringing in one-and-done graduate QB's (FSU and UO).
Well, from what I've read on here, Oregon is grabbing that transfer from Montana State and Florida just grabbed Purdue's transfer. Plus, this Webb kid isn't very mobile, right? Doubt Oregon would be a fit in that case. But yes, your basis for being concerned is valid.

Well, from what I've read on here, Oregon is grabbing that transfer from Montana State and Florida just grabbed Purdue's transfer. Plus, this Webb kid isn't very mobile, right? Doubt Oregon would be a fit in that case. But yes, your basis for being concerned is valid.

I did not know that about UO or FU. Good to know and it makes it seem as if CU has a better shot at Webb. Thanks.

I would wager that one of Sefo, Apsay, or Montez could provide CU with good QB play next year.
Gotta disagree with you on this one. The ideal situation is where Montez has two full years in the system before taking over. I have almost no faith at all in Sefo, and Apsay is the prototypical backup.
If we can get this kid in for one year, win a few games, get to a bowl game and set up Montez to break out in 2017, that's a perfect scenario.

Therefore it will not happen. We can't have nice things. That's been established.

I would wager that one of Sefo, Apsay, or Montez could provide CU with good QB play next year.
Gotta disagree with you on this one. The ideal situation is where Montez has two full years in the system before taking over. I have almost no faith at all in Sefo, and Apsay is the prototypical backup.
If we can get this kid in for one year, win a few games, get to a bowl game and set up Montez to break out in 2017, that's a perfect scenario.

Therefore it will not happen. We can't have nice things. That's been established.

+1

One would think Mac knows his time is up if he can't produce in 2016. A QB like Webb could put CU over the top. Not sure I see any issue whatsoever here.

The market for transfer QB's seems to have really proliferated these past few years. Kind of like college basketball players.
It's the one position where one guy earns the job and the others sit. Quarterbacks have the biggest egos on a team. They were always "The Man" through high school. The sudden realization that you he will be relegated to a backup role is tough for a lot of these guys to deal with, I'm sure. A lot of 'em red shirt and are smart enough to graduate in 4 years, giving 'em a 5th year option for a free move.

It's the one position where one guy earns the job and the others sit. Quarterbacks have the biggest egos on a team. They were always "The Man" through high school. The sudden realization that you he will be relegated to a backup role is tough for a lot of these guys to deal with, I'm sure. A lot of 'em red shirt and are smart enough to graduate in 4 years, giving 'em a 5th year option for a free move.
are you saying they make All the Right Moves?

The NY Times article that was linked on this board somewhere pointed out that more and more QB's are accelerating their matriculation rate, taking 20 credits/semester rather than 12-15 and jamming a bunch of summer classes in so that they can graduate in 3-4 years. This is being done with an eye towards flexibility if they don't get the starting gig like you mentioned.

I know the Hawaii QB did that at USC, he graduated in 3 or 3.5 years, which gave him the ability do a graduate transfer with out losing a year of eligibility.

Does the Jones transfer put us out of the running here? I hope not. We still need help in 2016.

Webb would be a great get in addition to Jones. If at first you don't succeed, try, try again.

We'd still be bringing in 3 scholarship QBs to replace 1 and that's assuming Gerhke leaves. Not sure that's what we want to do with limited scholarships, but I hope so.

Webb would be a great get in addition to Jones. If at first you don't succeed, try, try again.

Yep. If the coaches have to use non-traditional methods to get the talent this team needs, then fine. Just get the talent needed to win.

Yep. If the coaches have to use non-traditional methods to get the talent this team needs, then fine. Just get the talent needed to win.
I'm not a graduate of the College of Sports Governance, but I'm pretty sure we have to self report to the NCAA, the fact that you used the term, "non-traditional methods" with regards to recruiting.

I'm not a graduate of the College of Sports Governance, but I'm pretty sure we have to self report to the NCAA, the fact that you used the term, "non-traditional methods" with regards to recruiting.
Sounds like post-grad thinking to me.

Ok; you guys win. I was not that invested in my stance before and you've won me over. Go get 'em, Chev.

The Jones transfer, I would imagine, would have no bearing on Webb's decision at all. I would guess it would be the same with the coaches since Webb is a one year grad transfer. The only issue would be going over the 85 scholarship limit.

Back