What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

QB Situation for 2012 and Beyond

That's not how I interpreted his post. I interpreted it meaning that having no knowledge of the playbook will be made up for by having game experience.

yes that is exactly what he meant. You have guy A who sat on the bench for 4 years and was the number 2 or 3 QB on the team and knows the playbook in an out and zero game experience and you have guy B who transfers from another school, who has a ton of ability and a ton of experience, who do you want?

Webb doesn't have a ton of ability but I'll still take Wood.

he had enough ability to start about 20 games for a BCS school, which is 20 more than Wood has at this point. You like Wood more due to his raw talent, BNG might see them more equal due to the live game experience. In the end it doesn't matter what we think.

What make some think that Wood didn't clearly win the qb job this spring. If your Embry, do you want to rely in a guy that broke his foot stepping off of a sidewalk.

Wood was 7 of 10 during the spring game. Looked to me like he had a good grasp of the offense. He did over throw a few long balls but that will come with more time. Had a couple nice check downs when the downfield guy wasn't open.

I like the fact they are trying to bring in another healthy qb in Webb. I am not sold that Hirschman can stay healthy and I think Embry is thinking the same thing.

I see Hirschman being another Ballenger this time next year and can see him moving on.

What make some think that Wood didn't clearly win the qb job this spring. If your Embry, do you want to rely in a guy that broke his foot stepping off of a sidewalk.

Wood was 7 of 10 during the spring game. Looked to me like he had a good grasp of the offense. He did over throw a few long balls but that will come with more time. Had a couple nice check downs when the downfield guy wasn't open.

I like the fact they are trying to bring in another healthy qb in Webb. I am not sold that Hirschman can stay healthy and I think Embry is thinking the same thing.

I see Hirschman being another Ballenger this time next year and can see him moving on.
Re: Bolded. No. No. No.

Embo? Yes
Emburrito? Yes

Embry? Oh hells no.

What make some think that Wood didn't clearly win the qb job this spring.

Let's face it, Wood wasn't really pushed this spring was he. So winning the job this spring was pretty empty IMO. I think Embree is going to let both Hirsch and Dillon and even Webb challenge for that starting spot this fall, but Wood is the de-facto starter right now.

Let's face it, Wood wasn't really pushed this spring was he. So winning the job this spring was pretty empty IMO. I think Embree is going to let both Hirsch and Dillon and even Webb challenge for that starting spot this fall, but Wood is the de-facto starter right now.

And I think he will be the starter come September as well.

Webb is better than people think. He was pretty damn good as a freshman. As a sophomore he regressed, but that OL was awful... worse than our 2009 OL.

If Webb comes I think he will have every chance to win the starting job but in the end I expect it to be Wood. Embree is building a team an Wood has more talent to grow into.

I think Webb coming in is a bigger comment on Hirsch. Hirsch didn't exactly tear it up last year when he got his shot and he really needed to come in and have a strong spring. Instead he missed the spring with a second broken foot. Hirsch is a good guy and a hard worker but his ceiling is not that high. Combine that with his inexperience, missed time with the injuries, and the ongoing risk of further foot issues and at worst Webb is a solid insurance policy going into the next couple of years.

Having Wood and Webb along with Schrock also insures that they can RS Dillon. I know that Embree stated that he wasn't looking to RS Dillon but I also can't imagine that he is thrilled with the idea of burning a year of eligibility for a limited number of plays as a back-up. I don't see Dillon as being ready to tear things up and grab the starting job do saving him makes sense.

That's not how I interpreted his post. I interpreted it meaning that having no knowledge of the playbook will be made up for by having game experience.

That is not what I said....of course he will learn the playbook but the playbook is not as big of deal as you make it out to be. A player who has been starting at another school for 2 years already knows a plays - nomenclature may be different but reads and patterns are pretty much the same. He will learn the playbook a lot faster than someone else will pick up game experience.

Many Fans seem to think the team is set at QB (all the objections to recruiting Webb) but I do not think that is the case. The QB is so critical to offensive success that Embree and staff has to find the player that can best fill the position. Wood is doing all the right things but he is still very green since he has not played at the college level yet and I think the coaches were hoping he would use the spring to distance himself more from the competition.

Whoever can win the competition will be the starter and at this point that could be almost anybody. If Webb does come in I think he has an excellent chance of being the starter - no knowing the playbook is easily offset by having 20 some games as a starter at the Div 1 level.

I really wanted to see Wood come out of the spring as clearly defined starter but it did not happen so the competition is still wide open...if Dillion can show that he can do the job then he will be the starter.

That is not what I said....of course he will learn the playbook but the playbook is not as big of deal as you make it out to be. A player who has been starting at another school for 2 years already knows a plays - nomenclature may be different but reads and patterns are pretty much the same. He will learn the playbook a lot faster than someone else will pick up game experience.
No you said it.

I am coming around to the idea that Dillon should see the field this season. Not as the starter, but as a viable backup in garbage time. Makes no sense if it is 25 snaps over the season, but get that closer to 100 and I like it.

I am coming around to the idea that Dillon should see the field this season. Not as the starter, but as a viable backup in garbage time. Makes no sense if it is 25 snaps over the season, but get that closer to 100 and I like it.
Interesting. Only makes sense if we have a transfer imho.

Interesting. Only makes sense if we have a transfer imho.

Transfers.

I want a QB pushing for all-conference honors in 2013 and 2014.

Also, we really need to stop overrating this "knowing the playbook" talk. Nebulous concept that sounds better in theory than how it actually plays out in reality. If you have the right guy at QB, natural ability will take over more often than not and that can be more than enough to succeed in college football.

I definitely welcome the addition of Webb. Playing a QB with no experience generally does not equal wins. I understand Wood has all this upside, but inevitably he is going to have some serious growing pains.

If Dillon is ready and you have enough snaps, play him. Generally we are not in a position to redshirt anyone who can help.

Transfers.

I want a QB pushing for all-conference honors in 2013 and 2014.

Also, we really need to stop overrating this "knowing the playbook" talk. Nebulous concept that sounds better in theory than how it actually plays out in reality. If you have the right guy at QB, natural ability will take over more often than not and that can be more than enough to succeed in college football.

:nod:

Exhibit A - Wisconsin last season.

Do you remember when Chase Daniels was a RS Frosh at Missouri. Pinkel had him play a drive or two every game even though Smith was the starter. It cost them a game or two...(CU was able to take away the momentum when Daniels was in the game and threw a pick of course CU won by 41-12 anyway). The next year came and Daniels was More than ready to take over the offense. That experience was invaluable and led to the Missouri turnaround.

If Webb transfers to CU, he will be the starter. He'll be one of the most seasoned QB's in the conference. I think only Barkley would have more starts.

If Webb doesn't transfer to CU, my money is on Shane Dillon to start. He almost won that elite 11 show on espn. The guy is a big-time talent. Seems like he just plays the game, doesn't get too neurotic. Plus, Embree and staff have to be thinking long-term. 2014 has to be a good year or they get canned. Staff can get away with bad 2012 and 2013.

Connor wood. He seems ****ed in the head. Too much pressure, ego.

If Webb transfers to CU, he will be the starter. He'll be one of the most seasoned QB's in the conference. I think only Barkley would have more starts.

If Webb doesn't transfer to CU, my money is on Shane Dillon to start. He almost won that elite 11 show on espn. The guy is a big-time talent. Seems like he just plays the game, doesn't get too neurotic. Plus, Embree and staff have to be thinking long-term. 2014 has to be a good year or they get canned. Staff can get away with bad 2012 and 2013.

[video=youtube;oavMtUWDBTM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oavMtUWDBTM[/video]

Amazing coming from someone who made idot status in a mere 9 posts.

Oh and Connor seems very down to earth and does not have an ego.

I think Webb coming in is a bigger comment on Hirsch.

Agree completely. I'm still scratching my head over the idea of bringing in Webb. The only possible explanation I can come up with is that Embree really has no confidence at all in Hirschman. Assuming Webb does come in, and Liufau signs as expected, we'll have SEVEN quarterbacks on the roster to start the 2013 season. Do we even have that many running backs? Safeties? Wide Receivers? Cornerbacks? I understand the desire to have quality depth at the quarterback position. I really do. That's going overboard, though. I can only suspect that Embree doesn't feel he has *quality* depth - i.e. Hirschman & Dorman.

What have you seen that leads you to think he is ****ed in the head? Same question for him having too much of an ego? Just curious your reasoning. Not sure if I am missing something.

What have you seen that leads you to think he is ****ed in the head? Same question for him having too much of an ego? Just curious your reasoning. Not sure if I am missing something.
neg rep is pending on the answer.

:popcorn:

Agree completely. I'm still scratching my head over the idea of bringing in Webb. The only possible explanation I can come up with is that Embree really has no confidence at all in Hirschman. Assuming Webb does come in, and Liufau signs as expected, we'll have SEVEN quarterbacks on the roster to start the 2013 season. Do we even have that many running backs? Safeties? Wide Receivers? Cornerbacks? I understand the desire to have quality depth at the quarterback position. I really do. That's going overboard, though. I can only suspect that Embree doesn't feel he has *quality* depth - i.e. Hirschman & Dorman.

I think it reflects on the lack of game experience at the position with none of them being either a junior or a senior. I think we have 5 QBs with Webb it would be 6. Having a lot players at the position does not translate into have quality at the position. Right now Shrock may have more upside than either Wood or Hirschman and he is a walkon.

The coaches are waiting for someone to step up and seize the opportunity - since it has not happened yet coaches are still looking for answers at the position. That is why they are interested in Webb.

Hold on a sec, let me finish ejaculating in tini's mouth.

Ahhh, OK.

Embree said he tries too hard and needs to relax. He's putting pressure on himself mentally. He might be great or he might suck like tini. Time will tell.

Back