What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

QB Situation in 2014

If Wood doesn't play next year can he still go to some spring training sessions to take some throws and give the two QB's an occasional break? Or would that be similar to a walk-on eating a burrito in the eyes of the NCAA?

Not nervous, addition by subtraction. Hopefully Coach Mac has a walk on lined up. We need to throw a lot in Spring ball and get a lot of reps for the young receivers.

Ridiculous beyond your normally ridiculous statements.

In your world a walk-on, by definition a kid who wasn't impressive enough in HS to get a scholly from any school he wanted to go to is going to come in and be better than an experienced, and talented, back-up who was recruited by major schools.

I hope that M2 has a plan in place but who has any information that gives an indication of that right now.

Ideally we would see a 5th year senior graduate transfer in. Second choice would be a quality JC guy. Don't see any indication that there are any of either available right now who would be interested in coming into a place where the writing is on the wall that Sefo is the man baring injury.

Ridiculous beyond your normally ridiculous statements.

In your world a walk-on, by definition a kid who wasn't impressive enough in HS to get a scholly from any school he wanted to go to is going to come in and be better than an experienced, and talented, back-up who was recruited by major schools.

I hope that M2 has a plan in place but who has any information that gives an indication of that right now.

Ideally we would see a 5th year senior graduate transfer in. Second choice would be a quality JC guy. Don't see any indication that there are any of either available right now who would be interested in coming into a place where the writing is on the wall that Sefo is the man baring injury.

Genius, Can CU still sign a JC guy before the start of Spring ball?

Last edited:

Of course they can, but my point is that every one that was considered to be any good was long ago committed someplace else.

The odds of finding a true freshman who is any good who is not already committed and who would be interested in us is also so small as to be outside of consideration.

Same probably applies with a fifth year transfer. About the only chance we would have of finding one of those is somebody gets freed up by a last minute coaching change or other unusual situation.

Of course they can, but my point is that every one that was considered to be any good was long ago committed someplace else.

The odds of finding a true freshman who is any good who is not already committed and who would be interested in us is also so small as to be outside of consideration.

Same probably applies with a fifth year transfer. About the only chance we would have of finding one of those is somebody gets freed up by a last minute coaching change or other unusual situation.

What is the deadline to add or drop classes for the Spring semester?

What is the deadline to add or drop classes for the Spring semester?

Don't know, maybe someone on campus could say. Also issue with getting admissions to process fast enough. We also end up with a question that most JC kids have issues getting transfer credit approved, don't see that happening in the time available.

Are they going to have a scholarship in the Spring? Based on the fact that MM couldn't get a scholarship until the summer for the transfer I've been talking about I doubt there's going to be any extra scholarships to go around in the Spring and into Fall

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't know, maybe someone on campus could say. Also issue with getting admissions to process fast enough. We also end up with a question that most JC kids have issues getting transfer credit approved, don't see that happening in the time available.

Just checked, it is past the deadline. Hopefully Coach Mac had a servicable walkon enrolled at CU Before Connor Wood announcement. It is critical for our young WRs to get a lot of reps.

Last edited:
The good JC QB's and halfway good JC's are all gone. If you look on Scout.com, then colleges, then Junior Colleges, then prospects, it will show you a list of all the JC QB's and who they committed to. From WVU to Bemidji State in Minnesota! Pretty cool site! You can look at any position and see where they went. Just found it today! Looks like we missed a TON of lineman, secondary, receivers, etc, I had NO IDEA how many went on to big time schools from last year. SEC, Big 12, Pac 12, etc. They are all gone. Snooze you lose, as the saying goes. There are some good QB's that just transferred like the Minnesota and Indiana former starters, who both have started a few games and actually have done well, but they have to sit out a year. I'm sure our coaches are looking far and wide, but not much out there, and with Gehrke and Sefu sophomores, and Aspy a freshman, all schollied, a walk on wouldn't have much of a chance to play, and they better have rich parents!

Last edited:
Isaac Archuleta and Josh Moten played QB in HS. I am sure there are others. Someone from that group will switch positions for spring ball. That's what college coaches do. Not a starter or backup that will make significant contributions, then move you over.

Are they going to have a scholarship in the Spring? Based on the fact that MM couldn't get a scholarship until the summer for the transfer I've been talking about I doubt there's going to be any extra scholarships to go around in the Spring and into Fall

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can't they use the one Wood just vacated?

Isaac Archuleta and Josh Moten played QB in HS. I am sure there are others. Someone from that group will switch positions for spring ball. That's what college coaches do. Not a starter or backup that will make significant contributions, then move you over.
Richard Yates II also.

Regardless of what else happens I would expect to see at least one PWO at QB in the fall if for no other reason than to give them another arm in practice.

I don't think the situation is as dire as many are making it out to be.
And it is incredibly rare to switch a guy from one position to QB, as opposed to the other way around.
There are a few JC guys still available, many with three years to play three or 4/3. Sure, they wouldn't be here in time for the spring, but I'd be more happy with four scholly QBs than three.

Maryland had decent success for the '12 season when they were in a similar situation - they put one of their linebackers behind center, he started and did fairly well. There may already be an arm on the team good enough to help us through spring, if it comes to that.

In before some one comes up with the idea to offer J-Mac at QB.

Reactions: aik
Maybe Schrock wants to come back out of self-imposed retirement to see if he might impress?

We definitely need more QBs for spring ball.

Maybe Schrock wants to come back out of self-imposed retirement to see if he might impress?

Mentioned this on another thread. If we have some unexpected attrition we might even keep him active for another year with a scholly. The out of state tuition and expenses are enough to make it worthwhile financially.

You might have lost Wood but gained Awini.

GIF_154480_cuando_mi_novia_me_dice_tu_veras_lo_que_haces.gif

If Wood doesn't play next year can he still go to some spring training sessions to take some throws and give the two QB's an occasional break? Or would that be similar to a walk-on eating a burrito in the eyes of the NCAA?

Uh, no. If he's graduating in spring and "moving on" he isn't going to want to dedicate the time it take to "be on the team" as a tackling dummy with no expectation of playing time ever.

Uh, no.

Moten is recovering from the Achilles injury, I don't think he will be ready for the Spring practices.

A friend of mine who works at CU in this area has said as much. PE classes don't transfer in. CU only gives fractional credit for those credits they do honor at all (.6 I believe) for out of state JCs. Thus, any transfers that come in will need three years to finish a degree with only two years left to play. And to add insult to injury I bet CU makes them pay out of state tuition after the scholy ends. :pissed:

A friend of mine who works at CU in this area has said as much. PE classes don't transfer in. CU only gives fractional credit for those credits they do honor at all (.6 I believe) for out of state JCs. Thus, any transfers that come in will need three years to finish a degree with only two years left to play. And to add insult to injury I bet CU makes them pay out of state tuition after the scholy ends. :pissed:

Thanks for clearing that up, because I don't think we've ever discussed Juco admissions at CU on this site before. :bang:

FWIW, everything in bold above is wrong. CU gives full credit for many transferable credits. There are going to be some that are not transferable at all, or at reduced credit. That is true for some classes you can take as well at Front Range here in Colorado. Tell your buddy his information is wrong and outdated.

Announcement came day after too late to enroll. Karma back to OCBL. Next time play kids on the bench when it's 59-7 and take your blinders off.

Back