What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

QB

Buffnik is talking about something that directly impacts the QB position. Being able to have a threat in the running game, having time to pass, having decent field position, and not being forced to have to score and score fast on possessions makes a huge difference in how effective a QB can be.

Relax big fella. Just trying to make a joke. Sheesh.

Syko's point is correct. While Mpschetti was pretty good and one of may favorite Buffs too, QB recruiting has been dreadful for nearly 15 years. For me, this is one of the main reasons, CU has struggled since then. I give credit to this staff, they went out and recruited a blue chip QB in Dillon and have filled the void with transfer Connor Wood who has very high upside for us as well.

Buffnik is talking about something that directly impacts the QB position. Being able to have a threat in the running game, having time to pass, having decent field position, and not being forced to have to score and score fast on possessions makes a huge difference in how effective a QB can be.

What's with the short posts? :lol:

Cody at the end of his career was not a better option than Tyler Hansen. The fact that Tyler Hansen is not very good does not change that fact.

Goldberg is moving to QB to run the two minute drill. Meanwhile, Greg Brown will be starting cunningham at nickel this saturday.

Time for a few special personel packages. PRich and Clemmons to the bench, Dustin Ebner and his younger brother Drew at the wide outs, Cefalo in the slot.

Must.....get.....better. Those that ripped, I'm going to get killed here, Hawkins for playing Cody over Tyler owe Cody an apology. Hansen is gawd awful. Ugh. Our QB situation can only get better. Tyler has a football IQ of, maybe, 75.

:rofl:

Exellent post #27,294.

Just to put it out there. Tyler's stats for the season:

98 Completions on 173 Attempts (56.6%) - pretty average, 1325 Yards in four games - pretty average, 11 TDs and 2 INT - nothing bad there but he could have had several more interceptions because he does make some pretty questionable decisions. 37 Rushes for 28 Yards and 2 TDs - nothing spectacular there either... but Tyler has shown glimpses of having that athleticism that creates problems for defenses. I thought he moved around in the pocket particularly well in the second half of the WSU game.

Looking at that it is obvious that Tyler is not going to go out and be a stud QB for us, but I also do not think he is going to go out and lose games for us. He is a capable journeyman and if our play-makers on offense can do something once they get the ball we can put up points. Need to run better, need to catch better (all of the WRs - including P-Rich are dropping the ball TOO MUCH! Clemons looks like he has club hands unless he happens to be in the end zone or ridiculously wide open - he needs to concentrate and realize that a catch for a 1st down is just as important as a TD... just less glamorous).

Tyler needs to make better decisions and spread it around better. He had tons of time to make good throws in the second half but couldn't seem to spot the open receiver or be able to commit to a throw. There were several downs where I watched him pat the ball three or four times and still not get it out. If you have time to pat the ball four times you have time to find your RB in the flat or to find a running lane yourself. He is too focused on P-Rich in my opinion and overlooks or doesn't have the confidence in his other receivers. Perhaps this is rightly so as Clemons drops almost everything, Bahr and Deehan don't have the best hands either and I think Gray, Cefalo, and McCulloch seem capable but not brilliant.

Not all of the blame should be laid at Tyler's feet, but he may be the best we have to work with and it is true that he has not had the best coaching in the past. No one has seen Hirschman play in a game and I doubt that we will this year unless there is and injury to Tyler or Embree just gets so tired of losing that he tries something different. I doubt there will be a QB controversy here anytime this season and we can hope for Woods, Dillon, Schrock, or Hirschman to step up next season.

The question I think would be is that if we bench tyler now before the halfway point and not let him see the field at all the rest of the season, would we have a shot at a petition to the NCAA for a RS? Give NH some experience, coach up TH in the system another year and have a 5th year senior, a true freshman a RS sophomore, and a talented transfer compete for the starting QB gig next fall?

I don't think benching your QB qualifies as a hardship entitling him to additional eligibility.

Tyler is just one piece of the problem and one of the reasons we are in for a long season. Not all on him at all but is is nothing but average to below as a D1 qb

I really hate giving him grief. He's been through a lot for the team the last few years.

Last edited:
Just to put it out there. Tyler's stats for the season:

98 Completions on 173 Attempts (56.6%) - pretty average, 1325 Yards in four games - pretty average, 11 TDs and 2 INT - nothing bad there but he could have had several more interceptions because he does make some pretty questionable decisions. 37 Rushes for 28 Yards and 2 TDs - nothing spectacular there either... but Tyler has shown glimpses of having that athleticism that creates problems for defenses. I thought he moved around in the pocket particularly well in the second half of the WSU game.

Looking at that it is obvious that Tyler is not going to go out and be a stud QB for us, but I also do not think he is going to go out and lose games for us. He is a capable journeyman and if our play-makers on offense can do something once they get the ball we can put up points. Need to run better, need to catch better (all of the WRs - including P-Rich are dropping the ball TOO MUCH! Clemons looks like he has club hands unless he happens to be in the end zone or ridiculously wide open - he needs to concentrate and realize that a catch for a 1st down is just as important as a TD... just less glamorous).

Tyler needs to make better decisions and spread it around better. He had tons of time to make good throws in the second half but couldn't seem to spot the open receiver or be able to commit to a throw. There were several downs where I watched him pat the ball three or four times and still not get it out. If you have time to pat the ball four times you have time to find your RB in the flat or to find a running lane yourself. He is too focused on P-Rich in my opinion and overlooks or doesn't have the confidence in his other receivers. Perhaps this is rightly so as Clemons drops almost everything, Bahr and Deehan don't have the best hands either and I think Gray, Cefalo, and McCulloch seem capable but not brilliant.

Not all of the blame should be laid at Tyler's feet, but he may be the best we have to work with and it is true that he has not had the best coaching in the past. No one has seen Hirschman play in a game and I doubt that we will this year unless there is and injury to Tyler or Embree just gets so tired of losing that he tries something different. I doubt there will be a QB controversy here anytime this season and we can hope for Woods, Dillon, Schrock, or Hirschman to step up next season.

So.... Tyler is Steve Beuerlein?

If Hirschman or Wood has the stats that Tyler has next year I will be happy. Knowing that they will have a couple of years to get better and improve on them. The problem I have with Tyler is that being a senior I was hoping he would be more of a playmaker. He is not killing us back there but he is not being that senior threat I was hoping for.

We can't block or run the ball, we can't cover, we can't stop committing stupid penalties but all you guys want to do is trash the QB...he is not nearly the biggest problem we have on this team. That wasn't TH fumbling the game away Saturday. Richardson got all the credit for the game he had against California but Hansen put the ball right on him just like he put the ball right on him Saturday before he fumbled it away.

blocked FG to negate Polk's INT was bad. fumble, and tipped pass for INT. not exactly helping ourselves out with any of those plays.

We can't block or run the ball, we can't cover, we can't stop committing stupid penalties but all you guys want to do is trash the QB...he is not nearly the biggest problem we have on this team. That wasn't TH fumbling the game away Saturday. Richardson got all the credit for the game he had against California but Hansen put the ball right on him just like he put the ball right on him Saturday before he fumbled it away.

To be fair on PR: he SHOULD get 90% of the credit for the game against California, if not all.

I agree that we didn't lose the game just because of QB. However, Hansen is one of the big reason our offense sucks constantly. He is just indecisive, all the time. That's too bad for QB.

:lol:

Cody sucked ass, get over it DBT. Tyler, while average at best, is still far superior to Cody as a QB. Let me know when Tyler retreats 30 yards into his own endzone for a safety and we can revisit this debate.

Does anyone know the rules of allowing palyers into the coaches box upstairs? Because if a player is allowed to be up there I think i could be benificial to have Wood up there to develop a working dynamic with EB and the other O-Coaches up there (Scherer or Brookhart).

:lol:

Cody sucked ass, get over it DBT. Tyler, while average at best, is still far superior to Cody as a QB. Let me know when Tyler retreats 30 yards into his own endzone for a safety and we can revisit this debate.
I wanted TH to be the starter, not Cody, BTW. But I'm disappointed in how TH has played thus far and don't see that he is all that much of an upgrade over Hawkins at this point. I'd say "far superior" is a stretch.

Back