1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about the 3-4

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by BuffsNYC, Aug 6, 2009.

1. BuffsNYC

BuffsNYC Uptown Club Member

Who plays the 4th linebacker position when CU is in a 3-4 defense? One of the "middle" 'backers like Sipili, Mohler, Burton, or Major or one of the (only 2 ready to play) "outside" 'backers-Rippy or Beatty?

Maybe it's an academic discussion, but it seems Rippy and Beatty are expected to be the best pass rushers. In any case, if one of you makes it to practice maybe you could let us know (in code, of course) who's lining up at LB in the 3-4.

2. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

Have to think Burton and Mohler are going to play a lot this year, along with Smart and Beatty. Would be pretty surprised otherwise.

3. buffsyko

buffsyko Club Member Club Member

I think those four will get most the time also. Actually, I thought mohler would start in front of smart. Rippy will get his reps and depending on how major catches up,he ccould be a factor down the road, mid-season.

4. CUwhit21

CUwhit21 Club Member Club Member

I think it will be Beatty and Rippy on the outside with Burton/Sipili at the strong MLB and Smart/Mohler at the weak MLB

5. buffaholic

buffaholic Club Member Club Member

Mohler and Smart both are pretty mobile and could play inside or outside. Burton and Sipili are inside guys. Rippy and Beatty are outside. I think Major could see action in or out as well.

I expect we will see them all to keep the Mizzou like offenses from gassing out D like the last two years.