What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Quick Post: On Bakhtiari declaring for the NFL Draft

RSSBot

News Junkie
Fine, I'll talk about football.

The news has broken that CU's best offensive set-piece, David Bakhtiari, has decided he's had enough of this losing crap, and is turning pro. In doing so, he'll forgo his final year of eligibility, and become only the 7th player in school history to leave early for the NFL.
Bakhtiari was the face of CU football, speaking for the team at Pac-12 media day last year.
The 6'4", 295lb redshirt junior was CU's best offensive lineman the last two years, securing back-to-back second team All-Pac-12 nods despite playing with a shambolic, and mostly ineffective group. With his departure, CU loses not only their anchor, but a returning captain. It's a big roster loss.

There's been a lot of resistance from the CU fan community to losing the biggest name on the O-line, with many questioning where he'll go in the draft, and if he wouldn't be better served staying another year. I take the opposite view, and basically assume anyone questioning his decision is just selfishly bitter about losing the team's leader in the trenches.

Despite what some may think, Bakhtiari is a strong NFL prospect. CBSSports.com tabbed him the 12th best offensive tackle available (essentially a 3rd or 4th round pick), and, according to this ESPN article, Bak was told by the NFL evaluation committee that he's considered a 2nd or 3rd round talent. Considering how high the draft usually values offensive tackles, I don't find this out of the norm. For the record, CU's last early departure, all-time badass and Husker-killer Chris Brown, went in the third round to the Titans in 2003, putting Bak in-line with history. His draftability is not in question.

As to whether a return would help him, I'm not so sure. From my perspective, it's all risk, no reward. I can't imagine his stock really rising all that much higher with another year in college, while another season only offers more losses and a high injury risk. With the change in coaching scenery (the third coach of his collegiate career) bringing yet another change in line scheme, now's as good a time as any for him to make the leap.

Go get that money, Bak.

ar0RZ3fy7QM

Fine, I'll talk about football.

The news has broken that CU's best offensive set-piece, David Bakhtiari, has decided he's had enough of this losing crap, and is turning pro. In doing so, he'll forgo his final year of eligibility, and become only the 7th player in school history to leave early for the NFL.
Bakhtiari was the face of CU football, speaking for the team at Pac-12 media day last year.
The 6'4", 295lb redshirt junior was CU's best offensive lineman the last two years, securing back-to-back second team All-Pac-12 nods despite playing with a shambolic, and mostly ineffective group. With his departure, CU loses not only their anchor, but a returning captain. It's a big roster loss.

There's been a lot of resistance from the CU fan community to losing the biggest name on the O-line, with many questioning where he'll go in the draft, and if he wouldn't be better served staying another year. I take the opposite view, and basically assume anyone questioning his decision is just selfishly bitter about losing the team's leader in the trenches.

Despite what some may think, Bakhtiari is a strong NFL prospect. CBSSports.com tabbed him the 12th best offensive tackle available (essentially a 3rd or 4th round pick), and, according to this ESPN article, Bak was told by the NFL evaluation committee that he's considered a 2nd or 3rd round talent. Considering how high the draft usually values offensive tackles, I don't find this out of the norm. For the record, CU's last early departure, all-time badass and Husker-killer Chris Brown, went in the third round to the Titans in 2003, putting Bak in-line with history. His draftability is not in question.

As to whether a return would help him, I'm not so sure. From my perspective, it's all risk, no reward. I can't imagine his stock really rising all that much higher with another year in college, while another season only offers more losses and a high injury risk. With the change in coaching scenery (the third coach of his collegiate career) bringing yet another change in line scheme, now's as good a time as any for him to make the leap.

Go get that money, Bak.

ar0RZ3fy7QM

Originally posted by The Rumblings of a Deranged Buffalo
Click here to view the article.

Back