What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Quick reaction to Coach Mac?

Feelings Today About Coach Mac?

• More Positive

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • More Negative

Votes: 94 81.0%
  • About the Same

Votes: 19 16.4%

• Total voters
Both of them on one year contracts so they wouldn't have been cut short

Hypothetically, since Mac has been on the airwaves stating that CU needs multi-year contracts for all its football coaches...

Do you think Mac would be on the radio tonight questioning Embree's integrity if JE made the decision to fire Greg Brown while there was a year or two remaining on the contract?

I don't think he would be. And that's why I believe this is about something else (Mac's race crusade) and has almost nothing to do with the other arguments he is trying to make.

P.S. Welcome to the board. Rep for making this more a discussion and less of a pile-on.

Mac needs to rally whatever fans he has and turn attention and focus on what positives they can do with the university and the administration

The letter wasn't bad, but what followed was really bad. He's not of clear mind right now, that much is obvious.

He's wrong about how many head coaches CU has gone through in the last 41 years. It's 8. Alabama has gone through 10 in the same time period.

I never agreed with everything Mac said, but I still love and respect the man. Like it or not, Mac is still the best thing to ever happen to CU. He can vent however he wants.

:gobuffs:

I'm the one who voted more positive, but I misread the poll. Meant to vote that I'm more positive we are making a change.

As I said in another thread, coach Mac has contributed more to CU football than any of us. This, of course, doesn't make him infallible. Just worth keeping in mind.

As I said in another thread, coach Mac has contributed more to CU football than any of us. This, of course, doesn't make him infallible. Just worth keeping in mind.

That's true, but this isn't the pros. Many of us here have sent CU tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of dollars in tuition. We deserve a voice also. We were here before Mac, and apparently we are going to be here after Mac.

Hypothetically, since Mac has been on the airwaves stating that CU needs multi-year contracts for all its football coaches...

Do you think Mac would be on the radio tonight questioning Embree's integrity if JE made the decision to fire Greg Brown while there was a year or two remaining on the contract?

I don't think he would be. And that's why I believe this is about something else (Mac's race crusade) and has almost nothing to do with the other arguments he is trying to make.

P.S. Welcome to the board. Rep for making this more a discussion and less of a pile-on.

I thought GB was on a year to year contract. Also, how do you think Mac would have reacted if Bohn had been fired too? My guess is that his reaction would have been different. Again, Bohn has been given seven years and counting and Embree got one and half recruiting classes. Think what you will about whether it's fair or not, but I do think that's affected how Embree supporters have reacted.

That's true, but this isn't the pros. Many of us here have sent CU tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of dollars in tuition. We deserve a voice also. We were here before Mac, and apparently we are going to be here after Mac.

Mac isn't going anywhere. People need to relax a bit.

Let the man say whats on his mind without trying to make him out to be some kind of monster. He's not.

I thought GB was on a year to year contract. Also, how do you think Mac would have reacted if Bohn had been fired too? My guess is that his reaction would have been different. Again, Bohn has been given seven years and counting and Embree got one and half recruiting classes. Think what you will about whether it's fair or not, but I do think that's affected how Embree supporters have reacted.

I think that is a perfectly fair argument to have. I don't agree with how the media personalities in town have handled it - but it is definitely a fair question to ask. But they just lost all that traction they built up with Mac's rant.

Let the man say whats on his mind without trying to make him out to be some kind of monster. He's not.

It may have been some guy speaking his mind, but he damaged by school in the process. I also found his comments about race offensive. He is allowed to say it, and we're all allowed to react.

I lost every ounce of respect I had for Mac.

Now I am willing to say it... He was a stupid coach for kicking to Ismial and it wasn't a damn clip. He should have earned a bonehead of the year, not a NC.

So there! :eviltongue:

I never agreed with everything Mac said, but I still love and respect the man. Like it or not, Mac is still the best thing to ever happen to CU. He can vent however he wants.

:gobuffs:

ymssra. Hope someone can hit him for me.

It may have been some guy speaking his mind, but he damaged by school in the process. I also found his comments about race offensive. He is allowed to say it, and we're all allowed to react.

So think for a minute that Mac's swill won't be used against CU's basketball recruiting too.

I'm trying to figure out how WE are the ones overreacting? :lol:

We didn't just accuse the University of Colorado of being racist for firing the football coach of the worst team who had the worst season in school history.

This has already been picked up locally, and I guarantee there are SI and ESPN articles by tomorrow morning. How will that impact recruiting? It may blow over by then, except if other coaches negatively recruit. More importantly, how is this poison going to impact the coaching search?

We already have enough challenges

I'm trying to figure out how WE are the ones overreacting? :lol:

We didn't just accuse the University of Colorado of being racist for firing the football coach of the worst team who had the worst season in school history.

This has already been picked up locally, and I guarantee there are SI and ESPN articles by tomorrow morning. How will that impact recruiting? It may blow over by then, except if other coaches negatively recruit. More importantly, how is this poison going to impact the coaching search?

We already have enough challenges

Just a smidgen. :lol:

Reactions: dio
Mac was the best thing to ever happen to CU football and I will always respect him for that.

That said he is now at a point where his personal loyalties are taking priority over honest evaluation of what is going on. He has an agenda to promote black coaches. He is absolutely correct in his belief that black coaches overall don't get a fair shot. In this case he is dead wrong. Just like a guy shouldn't be excluded from a job simply for being black that same guy shouldn't be protected from responsibility for his production simply because he is black.

At the same time JE, along with EB and a number of others are Mac guys. They are among the guys who were with him when he reached his greatest heights and he will stand with them regardless of the obvious failures of the current moment.

This same single minded belief is what allowed him to take a joke of a program to the apex of success and at the same time is what prevents him from accepting that "his guys" are not getting it done now.

I will always respect him for who he is and what he did but we also have to recognize that he is a guy who was a great football coach, not some kind of infailable god. Now we are seeing the warts and wrinkles that it was easy to ignore when he was leading us to glory.

I've said this many times and I'll say it once more - If you want to discourage people from hiring Black coaches, all you have to do is make it hard to fire them. Mac isn't doing Black coaches any favors.

So true

Everyone is raw and emotional right now. Coach Mac is human just like the rest of us. When someone does something that effects what he considers his family, he is subject to reacting emotionally and fighting for his family. Embree and all of his former players are like sons to him. Somethings are more important than even institutional loyalty. God and family are two of those things to Coach Mac. He has a passion for young black men and their plight in society. The fact of the matter is, statistically, young black men are much more likely to come from broken homes where poverty is much more likely. Not all, not even a majority perhaps. That said, Coach's honorable passion is for society to provide an equal basis for their advancement based on their merit. It breaks his heart to see injustice and he is a fighter at heart. So, don't judge him too harshly for emotional responses. Lets not do him the disservice of deifying him or holding him to a higher standard than we would anyone else in his place. God bless him. Right or wrong and I happen to believe this ship has sailed and we all need to get behind CU's future, he is still the type of guy you want on your side. Like someone else said here, if he is on your side, he's on 1,000%. No relativism there, even when it might be warranted. You can certainly critisize the letter and his response. I have my misgivings and want to move on as quickly as possible. That said, we should let him grieve in his own agressive and active way. I will always love him. He's family to me.

Mac needs to rally whatever fans he has and turn attention and focus on what positives they can do with the university and the administration

Now that I will agree with 100%

The letter wasn't bad, but what followed was really bad. He's not of clear mind right now, that much is obvious.

Mac has never been at his best in a fluid situation. We probably all remember that game day coaching wasn't his strength, and he seems to be having similar difficulties with reacting on the fly here as well...

I've said this many times and I'll say it once more - If you want to discourage people from hiring Black coaches, all you have to do is make it hard to fire them. Mac isn't doing Black coaches any favors.

Very wise comment. I want to chime in with someone at the beginning. I never liked the guy. I went to the Buff Club meeting at the Elks Club here in Longmont when he was hired. He had the bible quotes right from the beginning. Gack!!!! I thought much of his success came from two dynamics: he could recruit because he looked into the eyes of an 18 yo with that "deer in the headlight" focus (no one home, tho) and communicated on their plane which worked; then he hired stellar offense and defense coordinators. It worked.

That he needs to shut the **** up and admit failure but he's too old and senile to do so.

I lost every ounce of respect I had for Mac.

Now I am willing to say it... He was a stupid coach for kicking to Ismial and it wasn't a damn clip. He should have earned a bonehead of the year, not a NC.

So there! :eviltongue:
and what about the 5th down

Back