What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Random thought about Mullen's Dave Logan as the next CU head coach

Not only won't Logan be a serious candidate, he won't even be a candidate, so we shouldn't even pay much attention to all the "Logan for CU coach" talk. After bringing in a coach from a small-time school like Boise that blew up in his face, there's no way that Bohn would hire a HS coach this time around.

That aside, I doubt that Logan would be interested anyway because I'm not sure that he would want to give up his Bronco play-by-play and other radio gigs.

Ahh, ya gotta love the bi-annual "Logan" thread! This too, shall pass.

But I do stand behind my assertion that coaching at Mullan is somewhere between coaching at a HS and a college. Not so much "on the field" wise, but administration wise. Mullan has an organization more akin to college than HS. But still, Logan is a part time employee and, as a college coach, he'd have to go from part time to over time. I'd bet that is why a HS coach jumping to college fails. They aren't geared to work 20 hours a day.

I wish one of these idots in the hire Logan camp would site an example where ANY HS coach, in the modern era, successfully made the jump to college.

I've found the only people that are floating Logan's name out there are the casual CU fans that own a shirt or 2, come to a game once ever few years, but are really bigger Denver Broncos fans. They don't know much about college football and its intricacies, but think that because Logan sounds brilliant on the radio, played a few downs in the NFL, graduated from CU and has dominated the local H.S. area for a decade that he'd be more than qualified.

I've met a few of these folks and they're not going to have much say over what CU does

You sir, are 100% correct in this statement

Logan would have to take a pay cut.

I'll say this: Mike Shanahan thinks very highly of him as a football mind. FWIW. Too bad he probably isn't willing to go the assistant coach route. WR coach to OC to HC. But they say the biggest skill needed to be an HC is to be able to manage a program. Mullan lies somewhere between a high school program and a college program.

And how do you know that Mike Shanahan thinks highly of him as a football mind? Because some talk show host says it. Shanahan has never worked with Logan as a coach. Of course he is going to be complimentary of DL when he is a local media person.

I agree. With his advantage he should go undefeated every game, every year. IF he was developing kids and had a top notch coaching ability. JMHO.

He doesn't even do that much actual coaching. That's the amazing thing. I've seen it up close. Mullen has something like 15 assistant coaches. And no, I'm not exaggerating. I'm not even really 100% sure what Logan actually does there other than recruit and chirp at the refs all game long.

He doesn't even do that much actual coaching. That's the amazing thing. I've seen it up close. Mullen has something like 15 assistant coaches. And no, I'm not exaggerating. I'm not even really 100% sure what Logan actually does there other than recruit and chirp at the refs all game long.

I have often wondered when he even has time to coach. I like him on the radio, but between the afternoon rush hour show and traveling with the donkey's for NFL.... how does he do it?

Sackman, that is a bullseye statement. I've got a buddy who refs 4A and 5A and has done many playoff and a few championship games--and that statement mirrors what he says.

All I can tell you for sure is what I've seen with my own eyes, which is that Mullen literally has about 15 assistant coaches. These guys do all the work. During games, Logan does a lot of talking on the headsets and a ton of chirping at the referees. I swear, his team is up 45-0, and he's all bent out of shape over an illegal formation penalty. Doucherocket extrordinaire. He would be a certified disaster as HC at CU. If Bohn hires him (he won't), I'd have to seriously question Bohn's motives.

Sackman, that is a bullseye statement. I've got a buddy who refs 4A and 5A and has done many playoff and a few championship games--and that statement mirrors what he says.

The refs can't stand him. They roll their eyes at the very mention of his name. I'm sure it's good for a few penalties or non calls every game. Refs are people too, and Logan is universally regarded as a fraud amongst most high school officials.

I don't doubt Logan knows his football x's and o's, but going from HS to D1 (or FBS) is a completely different animal. Way too much risk and controversy to make a Logan hire, especially with the current state of the program and the pending move to the PAC.

I think worrying about Logan being hired is wasted energy. He's got to be highly comfortable in his current positions: HC of the top HS program, KOA gig and Bronco gig.

And how do you know that Mike Shanahan thinks highly of him as a football mind? Because some talk show host says it. Shanahan has never worked with Logan as a coach. Of course he is going to be complimentary of DL when he is a local media person.

Mike told me so.

Hell if I know! I heard it somewhere. Isn't that good enough? :lol:

Mullen would get ****ed up down in Texas by many a team. They are good, no doubt, it might be overstated how good they are. Euless would beat the piss out of them.

Back