What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Ranking of CU's Recruiting Class

Agreed. While I think it would be a lot to ask to win many battles against USC, it's not too much to win a few against ASU, Cal, Stanford, UO, UCLA and Washington. And yes, we did win a few against those schools, but we lost more than we won.

EVERYBODY loses more than they win. And we won more than a "few" against those schools. We're a couple good years away from competing with USC for the same kids. But c'mon mannnn, you have to see the big picture here. Recruiting is sales! You win some and you lose some. You have to get through the NO's to get to the YES's. ABC, always be closing! AIDA! Luck is when preparation meets opportunity!

Agreed. While I think it would be a lot to ask to win many battles against USC, it's not too much to win a few against ASU, Cal, Stanford, UO, UCLA and Washington. And yes, we did win a few against those schools, but we lost more than we won.

I agree that we need to be winning more batltes, but not even Texas, USC or Alabama wins more battles than they lose on the recruiting trail.

Yes, you lose more than you win, but even Embree would tell you we need to be better in California going forward, which is where most of the battles with PAC-12 schools will take place. Not a big secret or anything.

I agree that we need to be winning more batltes, but not even Texas, USC or Alabama wins more battles than they lose on the recruiting trail.

Agreed. If you're offering the right athletes, you're going to lose a heck of a lot more than you'll win.

Yes, you lose more than you win, but even Embree would tell you we need to be better in California going forward, which is where most of the battles with PAC-12 schools will take place. Not a big secret or anything.

:bang: You mean to say that we need to do better? What?

Agreed. If you're offering the right athletes, you're going to lose a heck of a lot more than you'll win.

Haha, yeah I think Hawkins hated battling for kids. Which is why he wanted to be the best offer for each of his recruits. Take THAT Weber State!!

Just expanding upon my original statement.

Pipelines to DC and New Jersey (tenuous) are nice, but they are not our longterm path to success. Next year, we will hopefully see a big step up in California.

rivals has us at #39 in the nation, tied with penn st. and one spot behind wisconsin (who finished 11-3, i think). updated 34 minutes ago. just a little FYI.

rivals has us at #39 in the nation, tied with penn st. and one spot behind wisconsin (who finished 11-3, i think). updated 34 minutes ago. just a little FYI.

WI only has 11 or 12 recruits last I looked, so that's not a fair comparison.

I really like the class that the staff put together this year but I am not happy that they couldn't take advantage of the big coaching shake ups in the Pac12 and win some more recruiting battles in the conference. Losing those consistently will ultimately hurt us.

out of the top 50, our average star ranking is the worst.

Haha, I was about to make the same point. We are 53rd in AVG star rank with Scout.

Point being that we should not get too excited or too down about this class. It is a solid class for a team in our current position. And should be a good building block for the future. Regardless, 2013 is going to be a rough year on the field with so much turnover and big lack of depth.

i'm encouraged. hopefully, we see a couple more big surprises.

get to a bowl game next year and i expect our Buffs will be back in the top 25 recruiting classes. we consistently recruited top 20 classes for several decades (mallory, crowder, at to a much lesser extent, fairbanks included). we're a top 20 historical program. we just need to show some success and this thing will start to get turned around. the guys we have in this class look more athletic and they definitely had better offers than the last few hawkins classes. this is a class they can build upon to return us to greatness.

Haha, I was about to make the same point. We are 53rd in AVG star rank with Scout.

Point being that we should not get too excited or too down about this class. It is a solid class for a team in our current position. And should be a good building block for the future. Regardless, 2013 is going to be a rough year on the field with so much turnover and big lack of depth.

I really hope 2013 is not a rough year.:wink2:

I'm praying for a bowl game! But with all of the uncertainty, I won't be devastated if we don't make it. This team will have a brand new QB, young, inexperienced and lacking depth at many positions. Hopefully that doesn't cost us any wins in our OOC games that we need to win in a bad way in order to get to that bowl.

Here's hoping that Connor Wood coming out firing on all cylinders!!!

I have two BIG expectations for this upcoming year. One, we will continue to recruit strongly and should have a solid 2013 class. Because we'll be limited in numbers and thus ranked lower, so I'll be expecting at least a 3 star average with at least 3 or 4 4 star commits. Two, we continue down the path of dominating the Utes every year. And we'll start calling it the yearly hysterectomy, because we're tearing out the UTErus.

The importance of this class is that it will create a base to build upon.

I'm pretty good at this recruiting ****, aren't I?

As long at 'tini doesnt say... "Top-25 class. Lock." ill be happy

The following are Rivals national ranking by position. In some cases having a high number of recruits (RB and DT) helps to push up our ranking. In other cases having fewer than hurts (QB, OL, and LB):

QB: tied # 27
RB: # 11 (includes FB)
TE: tied # 20
WR: tied # 38
OL: not ranked
DT: # 13
DE: # 22
LB: not ranked
DB: tied #38
Ath: tied #41

This basically shows what has been the theme in this recruiting class. We are light on OL and LB heading into signing day, but overall we have a pretty good class that will fill in the necessary holes where we are missing talent. We will get the prototypical QB we want, add size and power to the running game, add talent to TE/WR, put bodies up front on the DL who are big and strong, and add talented DB’s so we aren’t converting RB’s mid season to DB’s.

We have 22 recruits for the cycle so far (counting McCartney as a GS and Norgard in the 2011 class), which means heading into NSD there are 3 spots left. With the NSD announcements I know the rankings above will move around a bit (WR and OT seem to have the highest rated prospects yet to commit), but in general that gives a good indication on the strengths/weaknesses of the class.

I would assume this highlights how important OL (and possibly LB recruiting depending on how NSD goes) recruiting will be in 2013.

The following are Rivals national ranking by position. In some cases having a high number of recruits (RB and DT) helps to push up our ranking. In other cases having fewer than hurts (QB, OL, and LB):

QB: tied # 27
RB: # 11 (includes FB)
TE: tied # 20
WR: tied # 38
OL: not ranked
DT: # 13
DE: # 22
LB: not ranked
DB: tied #38
Ath: tied #41

This basically shows what has been the theme in this recruiting class. We are light on OL and LB heading into signing day, but overall we have a pretty good class that will fill in the necessary holes where we are missing talent. We will get the prototypical QB we want, add size and power to the running game, add talent to TE/WR, put bodies up front on the DL who are big and strong, and add talented DB’s so we aren’t converting RB’s mid season to DB’s.

We have 22 recruits for the cycle so far (counting McCartney as a GS and Norgard in the 2011 class), which means heading into NSD there are 3 spots left. With the NSD announcements I know the rankings above will move around a bit (WR and OT seem to have the highest rated prospects yet to commit), but in general that gives a good indication on the strengths/weaknesses of the class.

I would assume this highlights how important OL (and possibly LB recruiting depending on how NSD goes) recruiting will be in 2013.
Well, just doing it in my head, so I probably ****ed up, that is 210/10=21st!!!!

Landing Yuri would be so huge for this class. That would provide us with three young DB's who appear to know how to play. Gives our defense options for matchups for a change. I still think our safeties are very weak unless Polk figures things out this year.

very disappointed with the lack of O-line recruits.

#1 - it seemed to be a very strong class for Colorado o-linemen
#2 - the o-line wasn't the strongest unit on the team.

very disappointed with the lack of O-line recruits.

#1 - it seemed to be a very strong class for Colorado o-linemen
#2 - the o-line wasn't the strongest unit on the team.

I was where you are. I went into this cycle thinking we needed to sign 5 or 6 OLs. But with Kelley grayshirting last year (and adding Cotner) plus Nembot moving from defense to offense, we ended up with less need than what I had in my head. Plus, there's a chance that some of these DLs we are taking will end up on the OL. I'd still like to see one more, though, on top of Irwin and Kough.

I, like some others, am disappointed at the fact we haven't flipped recruits from other PAC schools with coaching changes. Yet. I expect a couple surprise poachings by signing day, just like last year.

Also, what value (stars) does Nembot deserve coming to the Oline after a redshift?

Last edited:
Completely agree.

Hopefully it does not come back to haunt us. As I have said all along, I am disappointed in the OL recruiting this year but will chalk it up to a fluke if it improves next year. Cannot afford to have two mediocre OL classes in a row.

Embree mentioned in a BDC article that some of the DL might end up on the OL eventually

Embree is a proponent of recruiting a lot of defensive linemen because he believes that the cream will rise to the top and those who don't excel on that side of the ball sometimes can be converted to the offensive line.

Defensive linemen generally already possess the speed and athletic ability to compete on the offensive side when they are moved. They simply need to add weight and learn techniques.

"Every year I'm going to try to bring in a decent amount -- depending on our scholarship numbers -- of defensive or o-linemen," Embree said.

I think this is smart move by Embree and I'm glad we have a coaching staff thinking smart for a change. But yeah I wish we had at least one big time OL type coming in.

I, like some others, am disappointed at the fact we haven't flipped recruits from other PAC schools with coaching changes. Yet. I expect a couple surprise poachings by signing day, just like last year.

Also, what value (stars) does Nembot deserve coming to the Oline after a redshift?

The coaching changes hurt us.

Although I do think we had some opportunities to poach from Arizona's class before they named Rich Rod.

Landing Yuri would be so huge for this class. That would provide us with three young DB's who appear to know how to play. Gives our defense options for matchups for a change. I still think our safeties are very weak unless Polk figures things out this year.

I may be completely wrong but I think Polk could have a huge senior season for us. Last year I saw Polk spending much of his time trying to cover up for our deficiencies at corner. Many plays it looked like Polk getting beat were cases of Polk coming over after a corner had been beat and he was coming over.

With at a minimum Henderson and Crawley at the corners along with some of last years freshman for depth we will be much stronger at the position. Add Yuri and it becomes while young a strength position. This will allow Polk to be available for run support, to read and take advantage of opportunities for big plays, to shut off some of the dump offs that killed us on third downs last year.

It will also help him a lot to be able to play healthy, most of Polk's critics don't want to acknowledge that he played last year with a variety of injuries that coudn't help but to slow him down.

That all said I would love to see us pick up some safeties for the future. Polk will be a senior, Terrell Smith will be a junior, and everyone else will be very young and unproven. I am also not sold that Terrell is who you want playing as a full time safety. Solomon would be a big get at the position and might be looking at significant playing time right away.

All the DBs will be helped a lot as well by a more consistent and effective pass rush which the coaches are trying to address with DL recruits.

Back