1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ranking to Heisman Seasons in Past 25 Years - SI

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by CUFan, Dec 10, 2010.

1. CUFan

CUFan Welcome back Club Member

2. dply

dply Doble hoja Club Member

Sounds like Stewart Madel is about to get some death threats.

3. GoldStampede

GoldStampede Well-Known Member

Wow... I had no idea Crouch's stats were that terrible (at least for a heisman winner...)

4. dply

dply Doble hoja Club Member

His competition:

Other finalists: Rex Grossman, QB, Florida; Ken Dorsey, QB, Miami; Joey Harrington, QB, Oregon.

That was a pretty weak group.

5. CUBUFF80

CUBUFF80 No Stinkin' Title Club Member

Agree, I'm sure the classiest fans on the planet have already threatened him.

6. The Guest

The Guest Guest

When I read the OP, I thought, 'how could someone have been ranked below Gino Torretta??" I'm glad to see Gino down near the bottom. I used to do a Gino Torretta impersonation in college when I was drinking (usually). I won't go into too many details but it involved rolling up my shirt, pushing my gut out and saying "Hey, catch that, I'm Gino ****ing Torretta. There you go...catch that...you know who I am? That's right, Gino ****ing Torretta". Actually, come to think about it, that's pretty much all the details after all.

Oh, and then I read the article. The two things that jumped out at me:

1. I remember that article on the Plymouth Running Back, and I still think about it every single Heisman weekend.

2. Ron Dayne...1999!!!!???? Are you ****ing kidding me? That was 1999??!!! I thought it was, like, two years ago. Christ I'm old.

7. Tatanka™

Tatanka™ Well-Known Member

Last edited: Dec 10, 2010
  8. CUBUFF80

CUBUFF80 No Stinkin' Title Club Member

9. BuffNut99

BuffNut99 Club Member Club Member

No mention of finalists Hagan in '89 or Bienemy in '90

10. UrbanaBuff

UrbanaBuff Member

I think Mandel's list is pretty good. There were a few that I disagreed with (like Troy Smith being so high). In general, it is easy to step back and just look at stats. That is the baseball fans in us. But football is a different animal. Guys like Crouch/Brown/Woodson might not have logged eye-popping numbers, but they didn't exactly play stat-friendly positions. Instead, you need to look at their impact on the game and for their teams... and then who their Heisman competition was that year.

There are many runners-up in one year that were hands-down better than winners in another year. That's the way it goes. Newton is pretty good, though I wouldn't put him at #2. But what will build his legend is the fact that his competition is weak (Kellen Moore, I mean, seriously??)

11. Daaah

Daaah Club Member Club Member

1999 was, like, two years ago, dumbass.

12. ScottyBuff

ScottyBuff Well-Known Member

Didn't he (Joe Dudek) play for the Broncos during the strike year of 87?

My first Bronco game was that year. Against the Raiders. And Steve Watson broke his leg. I was crushed.

13. The Guest

The Guest Guest

Don't know Scotty. I watch exactly zero NFL games each year of my life. When they leave college, I don't know what happens to them.

14. CarolinaBuff

CarolinaBuff Weekend Poster Club Member

Yes he played in 2 games for them that year. I can't remember if they were replacement player games or not but I think they were.