What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Ray Polk is a Safety (Polk asked to be moved)

Looking at that list and as athletic and talented as I get the sense that Ray is....there should be no way he isn't on the field a lot next year, which puts much of my concerns to rest!

Glad this was his decision and I think this will work out great in the end!

I did get permission from Ray to give some info. He requested this move, (some of this I am inferring from a couple of conversations), felt he can make a great safety, and said that if there is a problem with injuies, etc, in the RB ranks, he cold switch back over if that is what the team needed.

He is jacked about this year, I think he feels he has a shot at playing alot, maybe will be the starter, if not immediatly, sometime during the year. But true to how he was when he came to CU, it was not about starting, it was about competing for the spot, if he earns the starting spot, then great. If he doesn't right away, no big deal, he is happy fo keep pushing and doing everything for CU football. That is what I got from him, was that he was a through and through Buff-- he loves it here and the team. There is absolutely no thoughts at all of a transfer.

I think him on the field for 40-70 plays a game is better for CU football than him getting 10-12 carries if he had to share time with the other RBs.

He also seemed to find it rather amusing that there is all this talk about him and the switch. just a great, humble level headed guy. Well, he is confident-- he knows that he has talent, but just seems to want to work hard and do whatever, play whatever position that can help CU win now. Since I think he could make it into the NFL if everything we have seen on him pans out, he could make it as a RB or as a safety. Which has a longer career in the NFL? I remember RBs only lasting 6 years on average-- have to think that safeties have longer careers than that on average.

I did get permission from Ray to give some info. He requested this move, (some of this I am inferring from a couple of conversations), felt he can make a great safety, and said that if there is a problem with injuies, etc, in the RB ranks, he cold switch back over if that is what the team needed.

He is jacked about this year, I think he feels he has a shot at playing alot, maybe will be the starter, if not immediatly, sometime during the year. But true to how he was when he came to CU, it was not about starting, it was about competing for the spot, if he earns the starting spot, then great. If he doesn't right away, no big deal, he is happy fo keep pushing and doing everything for CU football. That is what I got from him, was that he was a through and through Buff-- he loves it here and the team. There is absolutely no thoughts at all of a transfer.

I think him on the field for 40-70 plays a game is better for CU football than him getting 10-12 carries if he had to share time with the other RBs.

He also seemed to find it rather amusing that there is all this talk about him and the switch. just a great, humble level headed guy. Well, he is confident-- he knows that he has talent, but just seems to want to work hard and do whatever, play whatever position that can help CU win now. Since I think he could make it into the NFL if everything we have seen on him pans out, he could make it as a RB or as a safety. Which has a longer career in the NFL? I remember RBs only lasting 6 years on average-- have to think that safeties have longer careers than that on average.

Great post, hopefully this alleviates any remaining concerns people have about this move.

Where does Vigo fit into this picture? Anyways, I would say that after those 3, I worry. I know Polk hasn't played a down at S yet, but I just trust him to kick ass, and I trust Brown to coach him up. As for the other two, both are solid and dependable guys. I think Mahnke has the potential to be a GREAT college player.

However, ya, after the three in bold I am very much concerned. Sanderfield I at least know as a solid special teams guy. Vince and Bret I know NOTHING about...

Don't forget the frosh we have coming in, but ya, I would rather RS those guys than throw them into the fire.

However, barring injuries, with those 3 guys and Brown coaching... I think we will be fine next season. :woot:

Vigo is another one that I considered putting on the list. It's hard to tell with him since he's a 'tweener.'

The depth at DB is a concern at this point, so I can't argue against the move on positional grounds. BTW -- has anyone heard of what's happening with Nate Vaiomounga since he was dismissed from the team? We posted on the depth situation at Safety before last season and I commented then that I hoped they'd eventually move him back to Safety. The current depth situation at Safety is a little scary. There's some numbers, but not enough quality nor experience.

SAFETY POSITION 09/10

27 Ewing, Vince S 6-0 205 RFr. RS Carlsbad, Calif. (Carlsbad)
12 Mahnke, Patrick S 6-1 200 So. 1L Parker, Colo. (Mountain Vista)
22 Meyer, Matt S 5-9 185 So. VR Laguna Niguel, Calif. (Santa Margarita)
46 Perkins, Anthony S 5-10 195 So. 1L Northglenn, Colo. (Northglenn)
26 Polk, Ray S 6-1 190 RFr. RS Scottsdale, Ariz. (Brophy Prep)
19 Sandersfeld, Travis S 6-0 200 So. 1L Limon, Colo. (Limon)
28 Smith, Bret S 5-11 190 Jr. 1L Highlands Ranch, Colo. (Regis)

Also, possibly -- 17 Hicks, Steven DB 5-10 175 RFr. RS Tyler, Texas (Whitehouse)

44 Adams, Trace DB 6-0 220 Sr. VR Steamboat Springs, Colo. (Steamboat Springs)

Yet one more, I forgot him:

21 Wright, Anthony CB 6-0 190 So. 1L Compton, Calif. (Compton)

Vigo, Paul ATH 6-1 190 Fr. HS New Brunswick, N.J. (New Brunswick)

Just so the list is a little more complete, and we could consider the rest of the CBs but the depth there isn't much better.

29 Brown, Cha'pelle CB 5-7 180 Sr. 3L La Puente, Calif. (Los Altos)
23 Brown, Jalil CB 6-1 210 Jr. 2L Phoeniz, Ariz. (South Mountain)
42 Burney, Benjamin CB 5-11 190 Sr. 3L Lone Tree, Colo. (Mullen)
18 Hawkins, Jonathan CB 5-11 190 So. 1L Perris, Calif. (Rancho Verde)
3 Smith, Jimmy CB 6-2 195 Jr. 2L Colton, Calif. (Colton)
21 Wright, Anthony CB 6-0 190 So. 1L Compton, Calif. (Compton)

[Wright is listed already]

INCOMING FROSH AT DB

Orms, Parker
Olatoye, Oyodeji

Last edited:

He really is. I've had the pleasure of meeting him at a party and he looks like a REAL athlete. I'm looking forward to seeing him at safety.

It's too bad he wont be participating in spring ball. He had shoulder surgery on both shoulders and one of them will keep him in a sling through spring practice

It's too bad he wont be participating in spring ball. He had shoulder surgery on both shoulders and one of them will keep him in a sling through spring practice

Are you sure about that? I'm pretty sure it was his left elbow and left shoulder (Yes he is in a sling right now...left arm)

Are you sure about that? I'm pretty sure it was his left elbow and left shoulder (Yes he is in a sling right now...left arm)

This is from Ringo...http://colorado.scout.com/2/838629.html

Polk is making the switch at a time when he won't be able to get the full benefit of spring practices to help in the transition. He has undergone two shoulder surgeries since November (one on each side) with the latest coming late last month. He had torn labrums on both sides, the left side was originally injured in high school.
His left arm is in a sling for several more weeks and he will not participate in any of spring practices, which begin March 31 and end with the annual spring game April 25

OH MY GOD NO!!!! IT'S THE END OF THE ****ING WORLD!!!!! WHAT THE **** IS HAWK THINKING!!!!!!!!! OH MY GOD!!!!!!!! WHAT THE **** ARE WE GOING TO DO!!!!!!!!

I'VE NEVER SEEN THE KID PLAY BUT HE'S THE BEST RUNNING BACK ON THE ROSTER!!!!!!! HOW COULD HAWK DO THIS TO THE BEST RUNNING BACK ON THE ROSTER!!!!!!!!!!!! I KNOW SPEEDY LOOKED SICK, AND SUMLER AND LOCKRIDGE WERE STEPPING IT UP AT THE ENDS OF THE SEASON, AND SCOTT HAS SERIOUS POTENTIAL TOO!!!!! IT'S OBVIOUS IF YOU'VE WATCHED FILM THAT POLK IS THE BEST!!!!! WHAT THE ****!!!!!!!!

HOW DARE RAY REQUEST A MOVE TO SAFETY WHEN US ARMCHAIR QUARTERBACKS THINK HE SHOULD BE A RUNNING BACK!!!!!!!!! HOW DARE THE COACHING STAFF TRY TO GET THE BEST TALENT ON THE FIELD FOR MOST OF THE GAME!!!!!!! I PLAY EA SPORTS NCAA 09 AN I KNOW WHAT'S BEST FOR THIS TEAM!!!!!!!!!

:rolleyes:

I personally can't wait to see a safety back there that's big enough to play the run and quick enough to help slow down all the 4 and 5 receiver sets CU sees in the Big 12. Ray sounds like a great kid, the kind of player that can step up and lead a team.

OH MY GOD NO!!!! IT'S THE END OF THE ****ING WORLD!!!!! WHAT THE **** IS HAWK THINKING!!!!!!!!! OH MY GOD!!!!!!!! WHAT THE **** ARE WE GOING TO DO!!!!!!!!

I'VE NEVER SEEN THE KID PLAY BUT HE'S THE BEST RUNNING BACK ON THE ROSTER!!!!!!! HOW COULD HAWK DO THIS TO THE BEST RUNNING BACK ON THE ROSTER!!!!!!!!!!!! I KNOW SPEEDY LOOKED SICK, AND SUMLER AND LOCKRIDGE WERE STEPPING IT UP AT THE ENDS OF THE SEASON, AND SCOTT HAS SERIOUS POTENTIAL TOO!!!!! IT'S OBVIOUS IF YOU'VE WATCHED FILM THAT POLK IS THE BEST!!!!! WHAT THE ****!!!!!!!!

HOW DARE RAY REQUEST A MOVE TO SAFETY WHEN US ARMCHAIR QUARTERBACKS THINK HE SHOULD BE A RUNNING BACK!!!!!!!!! HOW DARE THE COACHING STAFF TRY TO GET THE BEST TALENT ON THE FIELD FOR MOST OF THE GAME!!!!!!! I PLAY EA SPORTS NCAA 09 AN I KNOW WHAT'S BEST FOR THIS TEAM!!!!!!!!!

:rolleyes:

I personally can't wait to see a safety back there that's big enough to play the run and quick enough to help slow down all the 4 and 5 receiver sets CU sees in the Big 12. Ray sounds like a great kid, the kind of player that can step up and lead a team.

You forgot having a rivals account. :thumbsup::smile2:

You forgot having a rivals account. :thumbsup::smile2:

I was ranting in the heat of the moment... I can't be expected to remember EVERYTHING! LOL

I was gonna go back and delete it before i posted it after ranting, but that just wouldn't be me! :lol:

Another HUGE scoop. Cameron Wright has moved to safety as well. :thumbsup: Oh, yeah, he is a walk on. But, hey, you never know.

Re: Ray Polk is a Safety

Actually some pretty intelligent discourse on this issue...

My main beef is that I happen to think that Polk, if he were given the bulk of the carries, would be the best RB on the team.

It is not intelligent to think Polk would be the best RB on the team when none of us have ever seen him play.

This is a fantastic move imo because we are deep at RB and thin at Safety!

His dad played DB in college.
His HS coach thought he'd play DB eventually in college.
Hawk wanted to ask him to try safety.
The kid himself came to this decision.
We are very thin there and need competition.

Ray - get healthy. I love the way you are selfless and team oriented. I loved it when you signed with CU even though D.Scott was coming here. I love this move.

When was the last time we had a guy with Polk's speed at safety? I believe he was a 4.5 guy.

His dad played DB in college.
His HS coach thought he'd play DB eventually in college.
Hawk wanted to ask him to try safety.
The kid himself came to this decision.
We are very thin there and need competition.

Ray - get healthy. I love the way you are selfless and team oriented. I loved it when you signed with CU even though D.Scott was coming here. I love this move.
And Irv's kid believes he has NFL talent at safety. 'nuff said. If Irv's kid says so, it is so.

Re: Ray Polk is a Safety

It is not intelligent to think Polk would be the best RB on the team when none of us have ever seen him play.

This is a fantastic move imo because we are deep at RB and thin at Safety!

But it's intellegent to think polk will start at safety and be great when none of us have seen him play.

Just playig devil's advocate.

Polk having surgery on both shoulders and out for the spring. Well, that's a little doozy after yesterday. He could have used the reps and practice.Can he catch up and become the man in the fall? Maybe wright can switch.

Polk having surgery on both shoulders and out for the spring. Well, that's a little doozy after yesterday. He could have used the reps and practice.Can he catch up and become the man in the fall? Maybe wright can switch.

What would Spring ball be without CU missing a safety or two?

As I said yesterday, there is no doubt in my mind you will see Polk on the field early and often in 2009. We don't have many options there and I don't see Perkins putting a stranglehold on that job.

Last edited:
What would Spring ball be without CU missing a safety or two?

It's always something lately. Here I get myself on board with the switch and he's not even going to play in the spring. Will he be able to play at all in 2009? Is shoulder problems something you want to have as a safety?

It's always something lately. Here I get myself on board with the switch and he's not even going to play in the spring. Will he be able to play at all in 2009? Is shoulder problems something you want to have as a safety?

I have no reason to believe you will not see him on the field a bunch next season. At the very least, he can start breaking down film with Coach Brown this Spring.

I have no reason to believe you will not see him on the field a bunch next season. At the very least, he can start breaking down film with Coach Brown this Spring.

I think it's almost a good thing he'll have to focus on the film first before getting on the field. Almost. We know he's a great athlete, so it's not the physical part of the position that will be difficult. It will be the mental part of the position that will make the switch work or not. Safeties have to know their **** and make sure they are in the right spot.

Yeah, best case scenario you get to immediately take what you learn and put it on the field, but as long as he is able to get the mental part down before fall camp starts, his athleticism should allow him to catch up really quickly from what he missed in the spring.

I think it's almost a good thing he'll have to focus on the film first before getting on the field. Almost. We know he's a great athlete, so it's not the physical part of the position that will be difficult. It will be the mental part of the position that will make the switch work or not. Safeties have to know their **** and make sure they are in the right spot.

Yeah, best case scenario you get to immediately take what you learn and put it on the field, but as long as he is able to get the mental part down before fall camp starts, his athleticism should allow him to catch up really quickly from what he missed in the spring.

Agreed. While it is not an ideal situation, the focus on film will really help. Get him on the field for summer workouts and he should be ready to compete for the starting job in the fall.

Back