What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

RB Preference: Workhorse or Racehorse?

RB Preference

• Workhorse

Votes: 31 63.3%
  • Racehorse

Votes: 18 36.7%

• Total voters
If you go the workhorse route, you better have a very good offensive line and fullbacks that can punch it in from 10 yards out. It's a lot easier to pick up 5-6 yards per carry from your own 30 yard line than it is from inside the opponent's 10. You also better have some good special teams, because you'll always be playing the field position game.

Not that any of that is bad, but it's important to know what components you need to compliment the skill position players you have.

The opposite side of that is that if your offense is predicated on explosive plays rather than ball control, you better be more talented than the teams you are playing or you'll be shut down and your defense will be on the field for 40 minutes.

I think that we're much more likely to be able to implement the Wisconsin and Stanford models at CU than the Florida (Urban era) and Oregon models.

Even Florida under Urban didn't work all that well when they had to go up against the top teams, even with Tebow giving them the ability to run power with a QB for ball control and short yardage. Oregon similarly struggled with LSU and USC last season.

You can also get workhorses that can break long ones as well. Ahman Green and Eric Bieniemy are good examples. Still would love to get a little speedster that every team and fan fears every time he touches the ball.

Stanford and Wisconsin are certainly models we can use if we want to go that route. Kinda interesting to look back at how those schools have recruited at RB and which RBs have thrived in their systems:

Stanford
Anthony Kimble-A player Harbaugh inherited and led the Cardinal in rushing in 2006/2007 and was the second leading rusher in 2008. Big back at 6'0"/215.
Toby Gerhart-Another player Harbaugh inherited, but Gerhart obviously thrived in Harbaugh's system. He was a big back at 6'0"/231 and led Stanford in rushing in both 2008/2009.
Stepfan Taylor-The leading rusher in both 2010/2011. Another bigger RB (5'11"/205) that has a bit more speed than either Kimble or Gerhart had, but still not a burner.
Tyler Gaffney-Athletic big back (listed as a fullback coming out of high school and plays outfield for the Stanford baseball team) who has had 11 TDs over the last two seasons at 6'1"/215.
Anthony Wilkerson-About 700 career yards rushing thus far in two seasons. Another bigger back at 6'1"/220.
Jeremy Stewart-9 TDs as a senior from the fullback position at 6'1"/218.

Stanford has grabbed some smaller backs in recent classes to add more speed.

Wisconsin
Brian Calhoun: A name Buffs fans know very well. Not the biggest guy (5'9"/200), but he had really good athleticism and speed. He was a national-class long jumper coming out of high school and he ended up being a part of a Big 10 Championship 4x100 team. Led the Badgers in rushing in his only season playing there in 2005.
PJ Hill: Bigger back at 5'10/218 (listed as a fullback coming out of high school) who led them in rushing in 2006/2007.
John Clay: Bigger back at 6'1"/230 who led them in rushing in 2008/2009 and was second on the team in 2010.
Montee Ball: Listed at 5'11"/210, but I am guessing he is a bit smaller. Still, he has some size and has speed and was flat-out dominant in 2011.
James White: Definitely more of a speed back at under 200 pounds, but adds a different dimension to the Wisconsin attack.

Wisconsin seems to have blended size and speed more in their attacks over the years, but definitely have had bigger backs carrying the load.

How the Buffs rushing attack should look entering the fall:
Tony Jones: 5'7"/185
DD Goodson: 5'7"/170
Josh Ford: 5'9"/205
Malcolm Creer (possibly): 5'11"/205
Clay Norgard: 6'1"/240
Donta Abron: 5'8"/185
Terrence Crowder (possibly): 5'10"/212
Davien Payne: 5'11"/214
Christian Powell: 5'11"/250

Then you have Lindsay committed for this class at around 5'10"/170. It would appear that we are adding some size, but there are also a fair amount of undersized backs as well. We seem to be collecting backs in all shapes and sizes, not necessarily all fitting the same system (I realize some were inherited).

Easy answer is to have one back that can do both of those but they arent everywhere. Davien Payne has the exact size I like in a back. 5'10 to 11" 210 to 220, alot like TD. I think id rather have the hr threat in college. Holy ****, I wish Calhoun was playing these days. I watched an old Wiscy game a few weeks ago he played in. Believe he had 30 carries or so, he could do both. He could catch the ball pretty well too.

Give me the guy who can be an every down back and CONSISTENTLY get you 4-5 yards over the guy who will get stuffed behind the line due to too much dancing three plays in a row and then will get you 20 yards on the 4th play.

Workhorse backs sustain drives.

For what we're trying to do, we badly need a top notch workhorse. Tired of constantly getting stuffed on 3rd and 2, 4th and 1.

For what we're trying to do, we badly need a top notch workhorse. Tired of constantly getting stuffed on 3rd and 2, 4th and 1.

It's a lot easier to find a decent short-yardage back than the next LaMichael James. The fact that we didn't have one on our roster last year was a failing of the previous coach IMO.

So is Salaam considered a workhorse or racehorse?

I considered him more of a racehorse. Not elite speed, but fast and shifty. Not a pounder.

I think you need both to really have a great running attack. A lot of Colorado's great offensive teams have had both styles of runners. In 89 we had EB and George as the pounders (Hemm was a FB, but did a lot of physical running), while JJ was our racehorse.

Speed kills, it really does. Poundign away is nice, but the elite teams have speed speed speed!!!! And Colorado's elite teams from the past have had speed speed speed!!!

I considered him more of a racehorse. Not elite speed, but fast and shifty. Not a pounder.

I think you need both to really have a great running attack. A lot of Colorado's great offensive teams have had both styles of runners. In 89 we had EB and George as the pounders (Hemm was a FB, but did a lot of physical running), while JJ was our racehorse.

Speed kills, it really does. Poundign away is nice, but the elite teams have speed speed speed!!!! And Colorado's elite teams from the past have had speed speed speed!!!

insert the 1994 40 times graphic here.

insert the 1994 40 times graphic here.

179317_1857992532454_1320110575_32146644_3101040_n.jpg

So is Salaam considered a workhorse or racehorse?

Salaam was one of those rare guys who was both, although agree more of a racehorse.

The true combinations you can count on your fingers.

AP
Herschel Walker
Bo Jackson
Walter Payton

etc.

In the long and glorious history of CU football Salaam was probably the closest we ever had to a guy who was both and it is hard to think of many others who would even be in the conversation.

Salaam was one of those rare guys who was both, although agree more of a racehorse.

The true combinations you can count on your fingers.

AP
Herschel Walker
Bo Jackson
Walter Payton

etc.

In the long and glorious history of CU football Salaam was probably the closest we ever had to a guy who was both and it is hard to think of many others who would even be in the conversation.

EB was pretty fast. He broke A LOT of long runs for TD's

I'd much rather have a thoroughbred. A workhorse can be simulated by a running back by committee approach (a fantasy football owner's nightmare).

I would love an MJD (Jacksonville fan here), He was our offense last year. Led the league in rushing, and had a lot of receiving and touchdowns. Hes a small dude but a brick, he could run over more guys then most 6' 1" and 5' 11" guys. And he's only 5' 6".

Back