What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Real concerns regarding this team

Don't think there's much, if any, talent gap. For all the raving of "hidden gems", seems like CSU has found them equal to or greater than us.

****. With our front four being so pedestrian, I don't know why the **** we don't just do a continuous 3 down rotation so we have fresh legs in there constantly. Maybe we could actually put more pressure on the QB if we can out-quick an offensive lineman because we've got more energy. It sure as **** didn't help to have the same four guys play most of the game.

On the flip side, I don't like the idea of trying to get carries each game to four different running backs. Running backs can get into a rhythm, and constantly putting different guys in there doesn't give them a chance to do so. Also, when Lindsey only gets two carries: one a dive over the top, and another a slowly developed sweep, it's hard to see what he can do.

One thing that's becoming a trend with games under MacIntyre is that we're seeing very good initial game plans followed by the other team adjusting and the Buffs having no answer.

I don't know enough to say whether that's mostly a coaching issue, mostly a lack of veteran player leadership issue, mostly a lack of talent issue, or something else. But we have been an awful counter-punching team in the last year + 1 game.

I believe it was Herbstreit a couple of years ago who explained that halftime adjustments are just something the media likes to talk about, but in college football they are really logistically impossible. There is so little time and so many pieces to move into place. I know in HS we just change how we are calling plays a little...that is our adjustment.

Watching the game to me it was really surprising how long it took McElwain to see that his Oline was dominating. In the first he kept calling pass plays and our secondary was shutting Grayson's receivers down...but, given all the time the coverage was providing, our dline not so much as layed a had on grayson. McElwain had some success with those sweep-like running plays in the 3rd quarter and he just kept calling the hot hand. Our Freshman ends were just getting pancaked. When they tried to do some new things...I saw CU went to a 3-4...the young players were overthinking and getting burned. So I saw no adjustment by CSU and an ineffective one by us.

****. With our front four being so pedestrian, I don't know why the **** we don't just do a continuous 3 down rotation so we have fresh legs in there constantly. Maybe we could actually put more pressure on the QB if we can out-quick an offensive lineman because we've got more energy. It sure as **** didn't help to have the same four guys play most of the game.

On the flip side, I don't like the idea of trying to get carries each game to four different running backs. Running backs can get into a rhythm, and constantly putting different guys in there doesn't give them a chance to do so. Also, when Lindsey only gets two carries: one a dive over the top, and another a slowly developed sweep, it's hard to see what he can do.

I bet we move to a 3-4 look more often - with parker topou and solis up front

OK I have watched every play in the second half three times now. Hart ran either sweeps around our defensive ends and even more often, he ran through huge holes made between our d-tackles and ends. Our D-tackles weren't great but our Freshman ends really showed their inexperience. They were pancaked. Then our outside linebackers missed tackles. This led to our safeties and CBs having to make the tackles on what seemed to be a really strong little back. A lot of times we had a LB get to the running back early but they missed tackles.

So to me the problem is our freshman ends and our outside backers. This problem will get better but it ain't going away. Remember when Embree was having to play a freshman backfield? I recall that season so well.

I believe it was Herbstreit a couple of years ago who explained that halftime adjustments are just something the media likes to talk about, but in college football they are really logistically impossible. There is so little time and so many pieces to move into place. I know in HS we just change how we are calling plays a little...that is our adjustment.

Watching the game to me it was really surprising how long it took McElwain to see that his Oline was dominating. In the first he kept calling pass plays and our secondary was shutting Grayson's receivers down...but, given all the time the coverage was providing, our dline not so much as layed a had on grayson. McElwain had some success with those sweep-like running plays in the 3rd quarter and he just kept calling the hot hand. Our Freshman ends were just getting pancaked. When they tried to do some new things...I saw CU went to a 3-4...the young players were overthinking and getting burned. So I saw no adjustment by CSU and an ineffective one by us.

I sorta agree but to me a good offensive coordinator will run multiple plays from the same formation. For example in the first half we lined up in shotgun with a flanker on each side of sefo and two receivers wide left. CSU played the run heavy and covered the inside receiver 8 yards off the los and the outside at least 15 yards. We run a zone read and sefo keeps it and gains 2 yards. If he had tossed to the outside receiver it was a first down at worst and a TD at best with only one man to beat. Did we go back to that formation and throw? Of course not. Those are the adjustments we needed to see.

I sorta agree but to me a good offensive coordinator will run multiple plays from the same formation. For example in the first half we lined up in shotgun with a flanker on each side of sefo and two receivers wide left. CSU played the run heavy and covered the inside receiver 8 yards off the los and the outside at least 15 yards. We run a zone read and sefo keeps it and gains 2 yards. If he had tossed to the outside receiver it was a first down at worst and a TD at best with only one man to beat. Did we go back to that formation and throw? Of course not. Those are the adjustments we needed to see.

To that point, we had the CSU DBs pressing the WR screens. There has to be a counter to that in the offense. For example, I saw one earlier today where the slot guy who had been the primary blocker on the screen faked a block and took off down field wide open. Where was that or something like it? We can't know if it would work, but try something. It just seemed like CU kept running the plays that weren't working to try to make them work instead of attempting the counters that those plays are supposed to set up.

To that point, we had the CSU DBs pressing the WR screens. There has to be a counter to that in the offense. For example, I saw one earlier today where the slot guy who had been the primary blocker on the screen faked a block and took off down field wide open. Where was that or something like it? We can't know if it would work, but try something. It just seemed like CU kept running the plays that weren't working to try to make them work instead of attempting the counters that those plays are supposed to set up.

They play the safety over the top near the sideline. The middle of the field is wide open for a te.

So our line is really bad at run blocking. They get to the second level with ease and miss blocks, block the wrong guy, or get abused by linebackers (Nembot) they just don't do well getting their hands on a guy and staying in front of them. The technique is so bad.

They play the safety over the top near the sideline. The middle of the field is wide open for a te.

So our line is really bad at run blocking. They get to the second level with ease and miss blocks, block the wrong guy, or get abused by linebackers (Nembot) they just don't do well getting their hands on a guy and staying in front of them. The technique is so bad.
THe RBs, mainly Powell, did not hit the holes that were created. For example Powell on the 1st play should have bounced left to gain a few more yards but he bounced right and right into the defense. CSU kept crashing the middle, we needed more misdirection and off tackle stuff.

THe RBs, mainly Powell, did not hit the holes that were created. For example Powell on the 1st play should have bounced left to gain a few more yards but he bounced right and right into the defense. CSU kept crashing the middle, we needed more misdirection and off tackle stuff.

Are talking the first play of the game? Irwin pushed the DE to the middle, couldn't seal the edge and the de pushed him off balance and made the tackle for a two yard gain.

On any given play there are at least six or seven one on one battles. On almost every play, we would lose at least one of those battles and CSU would get the stop. Our technique is not where it should be in terms of blocking.

Are talking the first play of the game? Irwin pushed the DE to the middle, couldn't seal the edge and the de pushed him off balance and made the tackle for a two yard gain.

On any given play there are at least six or seven one on one battles. On almost every play, we would lose at least one of those battles and CSU would get the stop. Our technique is not where it should be in terms of blocking.
Yes the first play of the game. Irwin sealed his guy off, but Powell bounced back into him. There wasn't a ton of running room on the right but they were corners and there was a gap he could have gotten to, but he bounced right back into the defense

Yes the first play of the game. Irwin sealed his guy off, but Powell bounced back into him. There wasn't a ton of running room on the right but they were corners and there was a gap he could have gotten to, but he bounced right back into the defense

Go watch it again. The DE caught Irwin off balance and tossed him aside and made the play. That crappy two yard gain was on Irwin not on Powell.

Go watch it again. The DE caught Irwin off balance and tossed him aside and made the play. That crappy two yard gain was on Irwin not on Powell.
Irwin did get off balance...but if Powell wouldn't have bounced inside it wouldn't have mattered much. Munyer had the guy at the 2nd level and there was a safety up top and a corner on the same side. I've watched the play 12-15 times now =.

Irwin did get off balance...but if Powell wouldn't have bounced inside it wouldn't have mattered much. Munyer had the guy at the 2nd level and there was a safety up top and a corner on the same side. I've watched the play 12-15 times now =.

He ran right off Irwin's back which is what he is supposed to do. I don't understand how you don't blame it on Irwin when his guy made the tackle.

He ran right off Irwin's back which is what he is supposed to do. I don't understand how you don't blame it on Irwin when his guy made the tackle.
It looked like a misdirection. His guy made the tackle because Powell cut back in when it looks like he should have bounced it outside based on the blocking. Either way, the OL is a very small reason why we lost. They protected Sefo in the passing game, but the playcalling didn't give the offense a chance.

It looked like a misdirection. His guy made the tackle because Powell cut back in when it looks like he should have bounced it outside based on the blocking. Either way, the OL is a very small reason why we lost. They protected Sefo in the passing game, but the playcalling didn't give the offense a chance.

I love going back and watching the game. I know people think we are just two idots arguing about what happened on a single play but I think it is cool we can both watch the exact play multiple times and see different things.

I love going back and watching the game. I know people think we are just two idots arguing about what happened on a single play but I think it is cool we can both watch the exact play multiple times and see different things.
Definitely, and neither of us will know for sure either. Watching the game has depressed me, but it's really nice seeing what went wrong. Our DEs were awful, just zero containment on clear running plays. Playing not to lose playcalling f'in blows

Definitely, and neither of us will know for sure either. Watching the game has depressed me, but it's really nice seeing what went wrong. Our DEs were awful, just zero containment on clear running plays. Playing not to lose playcalling f'in blows

Watch that first WR screen a few plays later. That is maddening.

Kudos, my friend. I've got it DVR'd and it's highly doubtful I ever re-watch any of it.

I mean, hell. We had a 10-0 lead. We didn't turn the ball over, get a kick blocked or give up a return into FG range. Those things don't add up to losing by 14 to the Rams. All I can wrap myself around in terms of hope is that it was one of those nights when nothing works (like a bad shooting night in hoops), we are able to flush it, and that we'll see the real team next week. If that's a true representation of what we are, then it's so ugly I don't think I'll be able to stand watching any more of it.

Kudos, my friend. I've got it DVR'd and it's highly doubtful I ever re-watch any of it.

I mean, hell. We had a 10-0 lead. We didn't turn the ball over, get a kick blocked or give up a return into FG range. Those things don't add up to losing by 14 to the Rams. All I can wrap myself around in terms of hope is that it was one of those nights when nothing works (like a bad shooting night in hoops), we are able to flush it, and that we'll see the real team next week. If that's a true representation of what we are, then it's so ugly I don't think I'll be able to stand watching any more of it.
The biggest issue I see on the offensive side from last night was the extremely conservative playcalling. CSU was stacking 8/9 guys in the box, just daring us to throw the ball and we kept running dives right into the middle. When CSU did space it out we threw that stupid screen to either Spruce or Fields. Screens can work, but they need to be set up, which they weren't at all. The OL did a decent job protecting Sefo when they did actually throw so I don't know why we didn't change other than Lindgren was determined to prove that they could run the ball. The PA game was there all night to, as was the intermediate game because CSUs LBs were playing pretty heavy run commit most of the game.

Our defense gave up three third down conversions on the drive where CSU took the lead. Two of those conversions were from Six yards or more. That's where the game was lost. Get off the field when they're on their own 30 and it's third and eight and you march down the effing field and put a dagger in their neck. Third down defense reminded me of a Hawkins coached team. It's infuriating.

Alas, we are soft.

The Coaching staff seems be trying to rectify something... Lights are still on at Dal Ward

Zimmer and Johnson kept saying, "The Buffs are setting something up." I can't count how many times I've thought the same thing only to never see that "something" happen. Maybe we give the OC too much credit.

Back