What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Real Hope … Or Just More Hype?

RSSBot

News Junkie
By Stuart

[h=3]Real Hope … Or Just More Hype?[/h]—
Okay, class. Time for a quiz.
Which of the following quotes came from Mike MacIntyre after the first day of practice this week?
Choice No. 1:
“Yes, I definitely think we can win every game that we play. That’s what we want to do. I feel like we’re maturing. I think we’re competing better. I feel like we’re starting to understand the intensity and focus it takes to be successful week in and week out. The old saying, ‘You have to bring you’re A-game’; you better bring all you got every game or you don’t have a chance. That goes for any team in our league. I think that that’s important and in our conference and with the teams we’re playing, anybody can beat anybody. So, we have to be ready anytime we play. I do think we have good athletes and I think we’re getting more mature”.
Choice No. 2:
“To really be a good team and a good leader sometimes you have to kind of put the blinders on and just keep going. People don’t think you can do it and then all of a sudden it happens. You see it happen all the time. It’s amazing how that happens in sports. I think that’s one of the great things about sports. It’s not a sure thing every Saturday that this is going to happen so I think that’s exciting. We’re really excited about this season. Our players are working extremely hard and thinking they can go toe to toe with anybody they play. That’s what we want to do.”
Choice No. 3:
“Our kids took advantage of our meetings this summer and stayed in shape so I feel good about where we are. Guys are bigger, stronger. We have guys that lost 10 pounds of fat and gained like eight or nine pounds of muscle, which is pretty amazing. Our strength shows, our stamina shows, so now we just have to keep working to polish it up.”
Sort of a trick question.
All three of the above quotes are from*Mike MacIntyre.
All three of the above quotes are from the first week of practice.
Here’s the thing … one of them is from the first week of practice in 2013, one from the first week of practice in 2014, and one from this week.
Now, go back and figure out which quote is from Mike MacIntyre’s first fall practice, in 2013,*when the former San Jose State coach was coming in to try and raise the Titanic, making something good out of a team which had gone 1-11 in 2012 … and had looked terrible in doing so.
One of the quotes is from last fall, when the Buffs, fresh off of a 4-8 season – but a 1-8 Pac-12 campaign – were trying to build on a modicum of momentum.
And one of the quotes is from this week, with optimism for 2015 over-shadowing the fact that the Buffs are entering the season on an eight game losing streak.
Not that easy, is it?
The moral of the story is to not get too wrapped up in the hype of positivism which comes from the post-practice quotes.
It’s not Mike MacIntyre’s fault, it’s just the nature of the beast. You expect the head coach to accentuate the positive, at least publicly. Every team is*undefeated in August; every team has an equal shot at*a title.
We just have to be*able to take a step back and try and be objective.
We have to*remember that CU*has been 100th or worse in the nation in both total defense and scoring defense … for the last four years in a row.
We have to remember that CU has been 10th, 11th or 12th in the Pac-12 in scoring in every year the Buffs have been in the conference.
We have to remember that CU is 4-32 in conference play since joining its new conference. That’s 4 wins and*32 losses, folks, with half of those wins coming four years ago.
That being said, I am more optimistic than I was at this time last year, even though the Buffs are coming off of a two-win season instead of a four-win season.
Here’s what I had to say last August, in a (hopefully) prophetic article entitled, “Buffs Still A Year Away“:
“Would close losses be frustrating? Hell, yes. It would be agonizing to be that close to a bowl game, and still come up short.
“But CU has to get closer to the rest of the Pac-12, in both talent and experience,*before it can expect to start winning those games.
“2014 is all about being competitive. It’s about getting close. Knocking on the door.
“2015 can then be the season when the Buffs kick the door in …”
We’ll see.

Oh yeah … In case you were wondering about the timing of the above quotes, the first quote is from August, 2014, the second from August, 2013, and the third from this week.
How did you do on the quiz?
——

Originally posted by CU At the Game
Click here to vie

I mixed up the first and third ones. Definitely knew that #2 was from 2013 because he used "toe to toe" instead of win.
I feel like we could have found a more optimistic quote from this year, but it's also the only one that mentions anything physical rather than mental, which is cool.

Back