What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Realistically, what can we expect from the team in 2015?

New question:

Does this season have the best opportunity in recent years to surpass all expectations and end up a top 25 team?

...like even a 5% chance? :popcorn:

New question:

Does this season have the best opportunity in recent years to surpass all expectations and end up a top 25 team?

...like even a 5% chance? :popcorn:

Best opportunity relative to the past 3-4 years? Yes.

Even a 5% chance? No. To end up a top 25 team, they'd have to be a 9-4 team with their schedule of 13 games.

I was watching that special about the 2001 Big12 championship game. The buffs came to 2001 off a 3 win season. No one expected them to be in the hunt. Barnett didn't care. He said the goal was to be in the big12 championship game. Many thought he was nuts. He brought a mini display of Texas Stadium to every game and put it in the middle of the locker room. The goal was not to have 5-6 wins or to make it to a bowl game, it was to get to the title game. I know we had different talent then but still none of us thought they would do that coming off a 3 win season.

That is what we should be shooting for regardless of what everyone thinks our talent "warrants".

I was watching that special about the 2001 Big12 championship game. The buffs came to 2001 off a 3 win season. No one expected them to be in the hunt. Barnett didn't care. He said the goal was to be in the big12 championship game. Many thought he was nuts. He brought a mini display of Texas Stadium to every game and put it in the middle of the locker room. The goal was not to have 5-6 wins or to make it to a bowl game, it was to get to the title game. I know we had different talent then but still none of us thought they would do that coming off a 3 win season.

That is what we should be shooting for regardless of what everyone thinks our talent "warrants".

I agree this is what we should be shooting for regardless of the talent level. Hopefully these kids are buying into the fact that collectively, if they put in the effort (with no let downs), they can create something that is greater than the sum of its parts.

Looking back at that 2000 season is interesting. They lost the opener to CSU (who finished ranked#23) by 4, lost to #11 USC the next week by 3, lost to #9 Washington the following week by 3, and lost to #9 Nebraska by 2 in the last game of the year. They did lose to #5 KSU by 23 and #25 UT by 14 as well, but all their other games against some pretty good teams seemingly could have gone either way.

I grew up with a kid who's brother started playing at CU and ultimately transferred to CSU before the 2001 season. He told his brother (my buddy) that CU was going to be a really good team and surprise everybody in 2001. That memory of our conversation stands out to me to this day because I remember thinking how full of **** he was.

Looking back at that 2000 season is interesting. They lost the opener to CSU (who finished ranked#23) by 4, lost to #11 USC the next week by 3, lost to #9 Washington the following week by 3, and lost to #9 Nebraska by 2 in the last game of the year. They did lose to #5 KSU by 23 and #25 UT by 14 as well, but all their other games against some pretty good teams seemingly could have gone either way.

I grew up with a kid who's brother started playing at CU and ultimately transferred to CSU before the 2001 season. He told his brother (my buddy) that CU was going to be a really good team and surprise everybody in 2001. That memory of our conversation stands out to me to this day because I remember thinking how full of **** he was.

I unfortunately could see this season being similar to the 2000 season as well as potential to compare to the 2001 season. While this team was "close" in a lot of games last season, they weren't even in the game against USC and UO. I could see this season where we play EVERYONE close, but lose against those top 25 teams. That being said, I could also see this team taking the tough games they were in last season and turning all of those into W's. If they start 4-0 and either knock off Oregon or play them tough, that will give them a huge confidence boost and I could see locking up bowl eligibility prior to the last week of the season. This season has a LOT of different paths it could take. Some being special, some being super rough... Excited to see what happens come August though!!

I unfortunately could see this season being similar to the 2000 season as well as potential to compare to the 2001 season. While this team was "close" in a lot of games last season, they weren't even in the game against USC and UO. I could see this season where we play EVERYONE close, but lose against those top 25 teams. That being said, I could also see this team taking the tough games they were in last season and turning all of those into W's. If they start 4-0 and either knock off Oregon or play them tough, that will give them a huge confidence boost and I could see locking up bowl eligibility prior to the last week of the season. This season has a LOT of different paths it could take. Some being special, some being super rough... Excited to see what happens come August though!!
Channeling your inner-Mtn you are

The Champions Center/Jersey Kool-Aid is flowing thick in this thread. If anything, this team is similar to the 2000 team. No way the Buffs even sniff the P12 Championship Game with this defense.

Last edited:
The Champions Center/Jersey Kool-Aid is flowing thick in this thread. If anything, this team is similar to the 2000 team. No way the Buffs even sniff the P12 Championship Game with this defense.

We do not have a championship caliber offense either.

Apparently, you didn't know **** back then either.

3135052008_2821f2920a_m.jpg

Hopefully the players don't have that sissy girl mentality you have (j/k).

The truth is it could go in any direction, but the coaches should be talking to the players about championships, not just being competitive.

Hopefully the players don't have that sissy girl mentality you have (j/k).

The truth is it could go in any direction, but the coaches should be talking to the players about championships, not just being competitive.

I guess sissy girls know the facts. I didn't say anything about how the team should be coached, just shed light on the reality of how poorly we've recruited over the years. This years defense has lots of holes, still.

Some people certainly expected them to be in the hunt - I increased my donation and number of season tickets after the 2000 season. CU lost some really close game early in the 2000 season and neither QB stepped up to replace Mike Moschetti - leading them pulling the RS off Ochs early in the season. The senior class was very small in 2000, about 9 players were seniors and in Barnett's system Senior leadership was a key. Plus Barnett was still fighting transition issues from the easy going player friendly Neuheisel regime with many players pushing back against the business-like approach that Barnett was trying to instill. In 2001 the transition was complete with a good complement of Seniors on the team.

A lot of people close to the team thought they would be good in 2001 but they were probably better than we expected.

I guess sissy girls know the facts. I didn't say anything about how the team should be coached, just shed light on the reality of how poorly we've recruited over the years. This years defense has lots of holes, still.

f course I was kidding. But yeah this will depend mostly on the defense.

Some people certainly expected them to be in the hunt - I increased my donation and number of season tickets after the 2000 season. CU lost some really close game early in the 2000 season and neither QB stepped up to replace Mike Moschetti - leading them pulling the RS off Ochs early in the season. The senior class was very small in 2000, about 9 players were seniors and in Barnett's system Senior leadership was a key. Plus Barnett was still fighting transition issues from the easy going player friendly Neuheisel regime with many players pushing back against the business-like approach that Barnett was trying to instill. In 2001 the transition was complete with a good complement of Seniors on the team.

A lot of people close to the team thought they would be good in 2001 but they were probably better than we expected.

Well I hope those close to the team and the team themselves aim high. I do think that there is always a group every year who thinks we will be great. I have been guilty of it. I thought the first Embree year would be a great one. We saw how that worked out.

I would LOVE to have that 4-0 start. Just imagine how pumped up Folsom would be for that 5th game against oregon.

ST's is overlooked too. We don't have proven options at K AND P. Or quality returners either. Oh and Neinas
I said earlier in the thread the kicking game will cost us a couple games. The PK situation is arguably the biggest issue on the team.

Back