What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

"Recruit above your record"

Great example is Carson at ASU. Sendek was going to get fired if he hadn't signed him. Now he's looking like he has a team that will Dance.

It might be that Tad's best recruiting job was in keeping Burks around when he came in. Burks gave him a year of solid basketball success on which to build his recruiting and credibility as a winning coach.

Guys can come right out of HS in BB and change the fortunes of a team. If LeBron James were coming out of HS right now and had to play one year of college ball what team could he have lifted into at least the tourney.

If CU could get the top HS football recruit in the country to come here next year how many more games would we win than without, not many.

Most of this years recruits won't even see the field until 2-3 years from now and then will take some time to develop and adjust. Unfortunately football just doesn't turn around that fast. This is going to be a process.

This staff has had a partial season last year and this still active year to recruit. I'm glad you all can see how insufficient he is. SJSU just beat Fresno (which CU could never do) and put up 60+ points...with Macs players. This will take time. I'm encouraged by Gillam. Awuzie, Adkins etc.

This staff has had a partial season last year and this still active year to recruit. I'm glad you all can see how insufficient he is. SJSU just beat Fresno (which CU could never do) and put up 60+ points...with Macs players. This will take time. I'm encouraged by Gillam. Awuzie, Adkins etc.

Quit acting soo rational....get out of this thread!!

Great example is Carson at ASU. Sendek was going to get fired if he hadn't signed him. Now he's looking like he has a team that will Dance.

Absolutely. Carson makes that team a tournament threat.

I'd even argue Jordan Loveridge almost single handedly saved Utah's program from complete irrelevancy. They were in a very dark place, where anybody and everybody was leaving that program. Loveridge could have picked a number of other programs to sign with, and who knows what kind of roster they would have if he did. They're still not in the Top half of the conference, but they aren't the embarrassment they were in 2011

The problem is that you know about as much about football as you do economics. You can not win in the PAC12 with WAC players no matter how good the coaching is.

The problem is that you know about as much about football as you do economics. You can not win in the PAC12 with WAC players no matter how good the coaching is.

What if I told you that players who sign with Colorado instead of WAC teams become PAC12 players?

Mac took a terrible SJSU team and had them ranked and winning a bowl within three years... I think he's shown that he knows talent when he sees it.

I'm going to with hold my judgment on this years recruiting class until after the weekend of the Kansas game. That is our most important recruiting weekend this year, and there is a chance that we could get some big commits after that weekend. If that weekend turns out to be a disappointment, then my concerns for the future will grow.

What if I told you that players who sign with Colorado instead of WAC teams become PAC12 players?

Mac took a terrible SJSU team and had them ranked and winning a bowl within three years... I think he's shown that he knows talent when he sees it.
I cant believe this is even an argument. SJSU would have trouble with a PAC 12 schedule. We can't compete with a bunch of overachievers and no highly recruited players.. We need to start winning recruiting battles for higher rated players or we aren't going very far from where we are.

Cu was also playi g a 1-7 team in the Pac and I wouldn't say we had a single positikn advantage over them. Maybe WR but prich is gone

So he knows wac talent that will not be on par with pac 12 talent?

Cu was also playi g a 1-7 team in the Pac and I wouldn't say we had a single positikn advantage over them. Maybe WR but prich is gone

A bit of an exageration. Utah kicked our butts on the LOS. They were significantly better on both the OL and the front 7 on defense.

That in mind we had a number of guys who are better than who they were playing today. The final score was fairly representative of the differences between the teams.

A real positive for us is that while we don't have a lot of high quality players most of the ones we have are young including a lot of freshmen.

It is easy to be critical of our recruiting as well. We don't see the top schools in the league going after many of our commits. On the other hand most of our commits have some interest from other BCS schools which is a step up from the past couple years even if these BCS schools are schools like Utah and Washington State that are at the bottom like we are.

My biggest reason for optimism in recruiting is that M2 seems to have an eye for potential development. In the past few years a lot of the kids we have brough in have not only had little interest from other schools, they have also been kids who didn't have great upsides. M2 seems to be looking for kids who may be able to develop above their current levels. It is still potential which means it hasn't happened yet and may never but at least there is room for improvement.

SJSU would have trouble with a PAC 12 schedule.

Good thing he isn't signing a class similar to his SJSU classes then, right? It might not be on par with other PAC teams or Power 5 teams (on paper) right now, but its much better than the classes he signed at SJSU (on paper).

Recruiting could be going better. See absolutely no point in even bitching about it right now and quite frankly I am tired of bitching about it. ( but understand those who still have the energy )
Get the facilities announced, close the class decently - continue to get better and build momentum and sign a better class next year (on paper)

All I want to see is us beat out some BCS teams for those JUCOs that visit next weekend. We need them and they're gettable. Use the win over Cal to beat them on the recruiting trail.

Hoping we see a Washington level bump in year 2 with some facilities and the promise of an improved team.

Good thing he isn't signing a class similar to his SJSU classes then, right? It might not be on par with other PAC teams or Power 5 teams (on paper) right now, but its much better than the classes he signed at SJSU (on paper).

Recruiting could be going better. See absolutely no point in even bitching about it right now and quite frankly I am tired of bitching about it. ( but understand those who still have the energy )
Get the facilities announced, close the class decently - continue to get better and build momentum and sign a better class next year (on paper)
I dont follow SJSU recruiting. Hell, I barely pay attention to CU recruiting. But, you cant count on finding overlooked players to field a winning team in the PAC 12. Even a bumblefuk like Dan Hawkins was able to win the occasional recruiting battle. Recruiting is at least as important as coaching in college football.

Dan Hawkins had a big name and was recruiting to a program that had won 4 of 5 Big XII North Championships. This program is far from that right now. Not trying to make excuses and not disagreeing with anyone who believes we need to recruit better. We do. Just amazed people still have the energy to argue about it. :smile:

Last edited:
It would also be interesting to see somebody look at the recruiting classes 3 years after signing and adjust for those players who aren't still around for a variety of reasons and for those kids who outperformed their recruiting rankings.

Given the choice of recruiting a good kid who sticks and develops or a great talent who doesn't ever see the field I would obviously prefer the first.

On the other hand they didn't have the same level of coverage then but when we were a national power we managed to do both. Coach Mac I recruited a lot of kids who were considered fairly risky but big talents. He managed to keep a lot of them around and they did contribute, many in a very big way.

On the other hand they didn't have the same level of coverage then but when we were a national power we managed to do both.

Yeah, coverage wasn't nearly the same. Your post made me remember someone saying Christian Fauria wasn't highly recruited, but had never actually checked to see if I could find something. Just found this LA Times article . He visited Oregon State and Northern Arizona. So guess he wasn't?

It seems like we might be aiming for the "coach above your talent" perspective for the next years.

Basketball - one very good, yet young, player can pull you way up. Colorado benefited greatly from Burks and Roberson going from lightly recruited to 1st rounders. I honestly don't remember Tad saying this, and if he did, I guess I don't really concur.

Seeing the late recruits we got last year such as Thompson, Awuzie, Olugbode, Adkins, etc gives me hope.

I see a lot of teams who've improved remarkably in recent times, and I see few of them (if any) who've had vastly improved recruiting rankings along the way.

fify.....basketball is an entirely different species. Freshmen can come in and the good ones can easily compete with older, more experienced players : the whole "one and done" concept.

That never, or extremely rarely) happens, with the League where fast, 250-320 lb. men who've matured and learned their craft, play on a regular basis. When was the last time you saw even 5*FR OL prospect, who could even think of competing in the NFL ? Age and physical maturity make a huge difference in FB, that's why its crucial to be able to redshirt as many recruits, especially linemen, as possible. Then you have to have a talented S&C group to develop them. (Unless you're 'Bama or LSU---SEC in general---, with all their illiterate, dirt-floor recruits and expensive HG supplements!)

No knock on Tad, but he got real lucky, walking into Burks and Higgins, then getting even luckier with Dre (over-looked and too skinny) and was beneficiary of those idots at UCLA and U$C, considering where Dinwiddie and Booker would have both preferred to enroll.

I watched several college games this year and just sat there wishing we had someone as fast as their 3rd string gunner.

fify.....basketball is an entirely different species. Freshmen can come in and the good ones can easily compete with older, more experienced players : the whole "one and done" concept.

That never, or extremely rarely) happens, with the League where fast, 250-320 lb. men who've matured and learned their craft, play on a regular basis. When was the last time you saw even 5*FR OL prospect, who could even think of competing in the NFL ? Age and physical maturity make a huge difference in FB, that's why its crucial to be able to redshirt as many recruits, especially linemen, as possible. Then you have to have a talented S&C group to develop them. (Unless you're 'Bama or LSU---SEC in general---, with all their illiterate, dirt-floor recruits and expensive HG supplements!)

No knock on Tad, but he got real lucky, walking into Burks and Higgins, then getting even luckier with Dre (over-looked and too skinny) and was beneficiary of those idots at UCLA and U$C, considering where Dinwiddie and Booker would have both preferred to enroll.

It happens. But the guys like Orlando Pace are very rare.

We do have impact freshmen in football, but that's generally going to be a RB or WR.

A bit of an exageration. Utah kicked our butts on the LOS. They were significantly better on both the OL and the front 7 on defense.

That in mind we had a number of guys who are better than who they were playing today. The final score was fairly representative of the differences between the teams.

WTF??? Shirely, you jest! If the Utes were so much better, why was the score so damnably and winnably close, especially considering that dropped TD pass by PRich and a couple of other blown chances by the Buffs? UU was definitely an OLDER team (like BYU, with missions and all), but not necessarily a better one.

CU has to stop regularly having 85 % of its roster consist of sophs, RS FR and freshmen.

Back