1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recruiting Areas

Discussion in 'University of Colorado Recruiting Archive' started by SteelCity Buff, Feb 5, 2011.

1. SteelCity Buff

SteelCity Buff Member

From the BDC:

http://www.dailycamera.com/top-sports/ci_17298455

Offensive coordinator Eric Bieniemy -- Los Angeles, a portion of the Inland Empire (San Bernardino, Riverside, Redlands, etc), Houston, New Orleans.
    Quarterbacks coach Rip Scherer -- Will recruit quarterbacks nationally as well as Washington and Oregon.
    Offensive line coach Steve Marshall -- San Fernando Valley (California) and Houston.
    Tight ends coach and special teams coordinator J.D. Brookhart -- San Antonio, Dallas-South and Colorado.
    Wide receivers coach Bobby Kennedy -- Dallas.
    Defensive coordinator Greg Brown -- San Diego, Las Vegas, Arizona.
    Inside linebackers coach and defensive run game coordinator Brian Cabral -- Orange County, Inland Empire and Hawaii.
    Defensive line coach Mike Tuiasosopo -- Northern California, Central California the Inland Empire and Hawaii.
    Outside linebackers and defensive ends coach Kanavis McGhee -- Houston and New Orleans.

While these are generally the areas we all knew these coaches would have, I'm a little suprised at some of the responsibilities. EB looks like he'll be doing a hell of a lot of recruiting, which is a good thing, but do his areas suggest he'll be working with Cabral and Kanavis like a cross-checker would in baseball? I wonder how many oc's have recruiting responsibilities like this. Will Scheer do some of the coordinating work, given what seems like a lighter recruiting load for a position coach?

Its also interesting to me that there's a lean toward Texas over Cali. Kennedy is Dallas, period? Looks like the Embo ain't ****** around when it comes to Tejas. One coach in nocal? Does that seem a little light? Or does it make sense since we're in the south division?

Don't mean these questions in a critical sense, just fired up to see this staff get a full year to recruit. Game on PAC12!

Last edited: Feb 5, 2011
  2. sliderNcider

sliderNcider MacLovin Club Member

I wouldn't look to hard into these... coaches will recruit outside of their "area."

3. 96 Buff

96 Buff Resident Commie Bastard Club Member Junta Member

Please also provide a link to the original article.

4. BigAppleBuff

BigAppleBuff New Member

I'm happy to see CU going back to the well in Houston and New Orleans. We had some great players come out of those cities. (Stewart, Joseph, McGhee, Williams, Hudson, Walker are the players off the top of my head).

5. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

They look fine to me. As Slider says, these are not rigid guidelines, coaches will help recruit outside of those areas. I am quite certain Embree is going to make sure more than one coach is recruiting San Diego.

Also, I'm pretty sure Kennedy will be recruiting all of DFW, not just Dallas. That is a job all by itself.

6. Mick Ronson

Mick Ronson Well-Known Member

not sure i agree with the premise. Kennedy is in Texas, because that's where he's from and has experience as UT's recruiting coordinator and Kanavis is an H-Town boy. that makes sense. I see more emphasis in Cali than Texas, off the top of it. I count 5 of 7 coaches with some Cali reponsibility and 3 with Tex responsibility.

but, to your final query, our best recruiting in Texas was when we had a different product to sell (Big 8, not SWC) much like now (Pac not Big Tex)....so, yeah, why not give it a puncher's chance and see. we're gonna miss on the kids who are life-long UT fans and such, but there's a lot of kids and if you can get a kid to Columbia, MO or Stillwater....CU at Boulder is a selling commodity.

overall, looks like the blueprint that's been successful for us in the past and better than the smattered all over approach of the previous staff.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2011
  7. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

At a very basic level, what I would have told Embree is to focus on the areas of the country that produce a lot of talent and where CU has had success in the past. This will get tweaked and will grow/develop as the staff evolves, but this looks spot on to me.

8. SteelCity Buff

SteelCity Buff Member

Not disputing that, but I guess what I should have said is Kennedy probably has as much name recognition in Texas as anyone on our staff. I hope he is in many places, especially Austin.

9. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

I am sure he will assist with San Antonio/Houston recruiting. I have no idea if they will put a big focus on Austin or not, but simply recruiting DFW/Houston/San Antonio is a large undertaking when you take into account the other places we have to recruit as well.

10. aik

aik Club Member Club Member

I trust FlaBuff will handle CU recruiting duties in his home state. :thumbsup: