What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Recruiting Heading Forward

I have seen Boatwright play 6 times this year and several more over the summer. He is a selfish shooter, plays outside of the offense and is not engaged on D. He does tend to get UP for an occassional game. He has also bounced around in HS and in AAU ball. Boatwright is also NOT 6' 6". He was measured this season at 6 4 1/2" with his shoes on.

CU would get an absolute stud in Rex, who can shoot from DEEP with high percentage as well as take his man off the dribble, he is also extremely active on defense. Rex will be a top 25 player nationally in a year from now.
I don't know what to make of this post. First Bennie isn't listed at 6'6", but rather 6'9", and... I don't think you know what you're talking about.

I don't know what to make of this post. First Bennie isn't listed at 6'6", but rather 6'9", and... I don't think you know what you're talking about.

This is strangely like that one post out of nowhere by the poster who had inside info on Josh Perkins' commitment, and then that other post out of nowhere by the poster who said Donovan Lee was neither a fit for CU nor were we in the mix for him.

This is strangely like that one post out of nowhere by the poster who had inside info on Josh Perkins' commitment, and then that other post out of nowhere by the poster who said Donovan Lee was neither a fit for CU nor were we in the mix for him.
Or the guy whose only posts were criticizing Dom.

It seems that we are now in a kind of strange situation regarding recruiting and Colorado kids.

As good as we are right now and with the level that Tad is recruiting there are going to Colorado kids every year who are pretty decent players who are going to be upset that CU isn't recruiting them.

Strange thing is that this same level of kid are the ones who couldn't wait to get out of Colorado a few years ago and often wouldn't give CU the time of day.

It seems that we are now in a kind of strange situation regarding recruiting and Colorado kids.

As good as we are right now and with the level that Tad is recruiting there are going to Colorado kids every year who are pretty decent players who are going to be upset that CU isn't recruiting them.

Strange thing is that this same level of kid are the ones who couldn't wait to get out of Colorado a few years ago and often wouldn't give CU the time of day.

I'm confused. Did you mean to post in this thread?

See mattrob I was right all along

(Again sarcasm font)

And by the way full credit to Riley, he does a great job.

I'm confused. Did you mean to post in this thread?

I did. Thread title is recruiting heading forward. Thread had gone to some discussing some oddball post regarding recruiting last ones #124 and #125.

Commenting that we are likely to see some unusual post on this site and other feedback from those in Colorado with interest in a kid who isn't getting a scholly at CU who think he should.

See mattrob I was right all along

(Again sarcasm font)

And by the way full credit to Riley, he does a great job.

You mean you were right about how our defensive-minded squad allowed the worst team in the conference to put up 74? I thought the fact we outscored them tonight proved we DID need shooters! :saythat:

I did. Thread title is recruiting heading forward. Thread had gone to some discussing some oddball post regarding recruiting last ones #124 and #125.

Commenting that we are likely to see some unusual post on this site and other feedback from those in Colorado with interest in a kid who isn't getting a scholly at CU who think he should.

Gotcha. Yeah, there are always going to be kids or parents that think they deserve an offer that isn't coming, but I think the basketball team is already to a point where most realize it's not realistic.

You mean you were right about how our defensive-minded squad allowed the worst team in the conference to put up 74? I thought the fact we outscored them tonight proved we DID need shooters! :saythat:

.94 PPP tonight the D gave up. 8th best of the season, more possessions, more points. 8 more possessions tonight than vs UCLA

.94 PPP tonight the D gave up. 8th best of the season, more possessions, more points. 8 more possessions tonight than vs UCLA

:nod:

The only issue with the defense tonight was on the glass. Without those offensive rebounds (missed having Wes play a lot in this one), USC scores in the low or mid 60s despite the pace.

Yeah, I know. I was just having some fun with those posts

Believe me, I'm the last one who wants to see a lineup of 6'2" SG's floating around the 3 point line all game.

:nod:

The only issue with the defense tonight was on the glass. Without those offensive rebounds (missed having Wes play a lot in this one), USC scores in the low or mid 60s despite the pace.

Wes and Scott really play off each other well on the offensive end both in creating scoring opportunities and in rebounding. Have zero complaints about Scott's contributions and he just keeps getting better but with Wes limited it is easier for opponents to contend with him.

I'm still hopeful that DT will end up being the shooter we are looking for from the '13 class. He has a nice stroke, but is struggling with confidence and the other parts of the game.

I think I remember hearing on one of the broadcasts that he is the youngest player in the PAC12. He is almost a year younger than one of our '14 recruits (Miller). Of all the '13 recruits, he probably would have benefited the most from a redshirt year.

Really hoping we'll see a big transformation in his game next season.

I think I remember hearing on one of the broadcasts that he is the youngest player in the PAC12. He is almost a year younger than one of our '14 recruits (Miller). Of all the '13 recruits, he probably would have benefited the most from a redshirt year.

DT turned 18 while he was on campus this summer, he's really young. Miller is doing a post grad year, so while he is just going to be a Freshman he's really in the same grade as DT/King/fletch/Jhop.

personally I think King could have benefited from a RS year the most, DT will benefit from the experience he's getting this year, King just doesn't play enough and is the most raw, not sure he's getting a ton out of his playing time this year.

personally I think King could have benefited from a RS year the most, DT will benefit from the experience he's getting this year, King just doesn't play enough and is the most raw, not sure he's getting a ton out of his playing time this year.

Except that I think DT's ceiling is much higher than King's. King will probably always be a high energy guy with a nose for the ball, who can come in in spurts and get crazy rebound numbers and steals. A guy you want on campus for four years, getting his 10-15 minutes per game.

Dustin could be really special in a couple of years with that 5th year maybe being an all-conference type of player.

All speculation, of course, and just hindsight. Before the season, Tad thought he was the most game-ready of the four. It just hasn't turned out that way, and I hope you are right that he benefits from experience, and this season doesn't kill his confidence.

Except that I think DT's ceiling is much higher than King's. King will probably always be a high energy guy with a nose for the ball, who can come in in spurts and get crazy rebound numbers and steals. A guy you want on campus for four years, getting his 10-15 minutes per game.

Dustin could be really special in a couple of years with that 5th year maybe being an all-conference type of player.

All speculation, of course, and just hindsight. Before the season, Tad thought he was the most game-ready of the four. It just hasn't turned out that way, and I hope you are right that he benefits from experience, and this season doesn't kill his confidence.

I don't think Thomas has been so bad that it would kill his confidence. He's struggling getting his shot off against more athletic defenders, but he's done some good things. I think we'll see a huge jump next year.

I actually think DT has the lowest ceiling of any of our freshmen and King's is the highest because he is not limited in any way physically and has the most to learn.

I don't think Thomas has been so bad that it would kill his confidence. He's struggling getting his shot off against more athletic defenders, but he's done some good things. I think we'll see a huge jump next year.

It's tough for these kids sometimes. In high school they were usually enough better than everyone else that they could pretty well get a shot any time they wanted, they could get past guys, and they were either bigger and stronger or faster and quicker, or usually both. Now all the sudden they are facing people have similar talent levels plus more experience. Even for kids from areas with lots of HS talent this is an issue, for kids like XT it's even bigger.

Some kids take longer than others to adjust and it's hard to predict which ones will make the adjustment faster but in time the good ones do. What makes this year more noticable is that with the injuries we have had the freshman have been forced to play more minutes and in situations that they wouldn't have otherwise so their adjustment is more noticable.

It's hard for us to see because we had high expectations for this season and now the season is in the hands of kids we didn't expect to see a lot of. The good news is that this program has a bright future and the experience these kids is getting should make them better in the future.

People who watch practice consistently say that DT shows great offensive skill but just hasn't gotten it rolling in a game yet.

People who watch practice consistently say that DT shows great offensive skill but just hasn't gotten it rolling in a game yet.

And you can see flashes of it out there. The good news is that the last few games he's been more aggressive. Honestly, with DT, I'd much rather him make mistakes from trying to be too aggressive than screw up by being passive. He's driving. He's trying to make moves. He's just not finding his groove right now. I'm thinking that a large portion of that has to do with the fact that he's going from Texarkana to the Pac-12. There are big men in the P12 that have more speed than PG's down there. It has to be a mind****.

Also, one thing that hurts DT is the success that Josh had his freshman year. We forget that most big men generally look lost their first year in college - even the top 50 guys. Very rarely does a freshman big make a huge imprint. I think next year we're going to see a much better DT - someone who will give us that scoring stretch four off of the bench - and we're all going to feel stupid for doubting Tad on him.

And you can see flashes of it out there. The good news is that the last few games he's been more aggressive. Honestly, with DT, I'd much rather him make mistakes from trying to be too aggressive than screw up by being passive. He's driving. He's trying to make moves. He's just not finding his groove right now. I'm thinking that a large portion of that has to do with the fact that he's going from Texarkana to the Pac-12. There are big men in the P12 that have more speed than PG's down there. It has to be a mind****.

Also, one thing that hurts DT is the success that Josh had his freshman year. We forget that most big men generally look lost their first year in college - even the top 50 guys. Very rarely does a freshman big make a huge imprint. I think next year we're going to see a much better DT - someone who will give us that scoring stretch four off of the bench - and we're all going to feel stupid for doubting Tad on him.

To me it seems like DT has all the physical tools. He's big enough to play inside on a smaller defender, or can take a bigger defender off the dribble. He seems like he just hasn't caught up to the speed of the game mentally. He catches the ball and starts going without having any idea of what to do with the ball. I think that's where a lot of his turnovers come from. Like someone else already said, he played against lower level competition in high school. I have been impressed with his post defense though. He plays physical. And is starting to become more aggressive offensively. I think his back cut at the beginning of the game that he scored on was the first one CU has had all year.

I actually think DT has the lowest ceiling of any of our freshmen and King's is the highest because he is not limited in any way physically and has the most to learn.

You're taking a pretty liberal interpretation here, based on athleticism alone. Thomas has so much more offensive skill than King, I'm not sure I ever see that gap closing. Also, if you're only looking at athleticism, I'd still give J-Hop the nod out of the freshmen.

Reminds me of Talton last year. XT would hurry up his game and lose his handle on the ball. Like he had too much going on in his head and was trying to play on "Fast Forward" instead of letting the game come to him at his pace. Dustin Thomas would do well to study some Kyle Anderson. That's how he could and should play offense.

Back