What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Recruiting luncheon

Perhaps some of the bigger boosters complained about the riff raff (accountants) that attended at $45. :smile2:

Perhaps. Between the higher cost and worse economy I predict a much lower turnout. But maybe that's what they're after.

Yeah, $75 was shocking to me when I saw it. They probably figure they can sell nearly as many tickets while raising a lot more money. I hope it works for them. I won't be there. I wouldn't have made it anyway, but at $75, I wouldn't have gone regardless of the conflict.

The way I figure it, it's $40 for the luncheon and a $35 donation. So the donation that I would have likely made later on, to Ralphie's Kids or whatever, I'm making now.

yep- $75

I got the flyer in the mail yesterday & thought that was a bit 'rich'
for my blood. I won't make it ths year as my wife is due on 02/18
and really don't want to be more than 10 min away from where ever she
may be at the time. For $75 I wouldn't make it if she wasn't pregnant.

and this is the problem with CU boosters, $30 extra and nobody wants to go.:huh:

It's a 66% increase.

I suspect they'll still get plenty of people at the luncheon. They probably looked at some other schools recruiting luncheons and saw what the regular rate was and came to the conclusion that they were undercharging. Fine. When you raise your prices by 66%, you need to be aware that you will lose business. As was mentioned, that may be the goal anyway.

and this is the problem with CU boosters, $30 extra and nobody wants to go.:huh:

The timing of the price increase sucks. Between the ****ty economy and the ****ty on-field performance last year, it is a bad time to hike the price 67%. The recruiting luncheon now costs more than watching a game in Folsom. Add on to that the fact that most of us have finite entertainment dollars at our disposal and you get a bunch of people who don't think it is worth the extra $$.

If you want me to go, send me $30. :lol:

It would also help if they had some big time recruits coming in. Last year was packed because we all wanted to hear what Hawk had to say about Darrell Scott, Jon Major, Lynn Katoa, Ray Polk, etc. The only guy so far in this class with a "wow" factor is Nick Kasa. It'll be a solid class, but not nearly as sexy as last years' class.

How many schools do these recruiting luncheons. I don't think either OU or OSU does any type of "recruiting luncheon" -- but then they are pretty free and easy with the press, which is not the same at CU.

A $30 increase doesn't seem that much to me -- but I live 600+ miles away anyhow.

It's $30. It's not like you have to take out a loan to pay for it. Go to Wendy's once instead of a sit down restaurant and the $30 is paid for. Problem solved

It's $30. It's not like you have to take out a loan to pay for it. Go to Wendy's once instead of a sit down restaurant and the $30 is paid for. Problem solved

I don't need financial advice from a college kid who is most likely still supported by his parents, thanks.

Well you have to have priorities.

Personally, I would love to have a convertible. I can't afford one right now. That doesn't mean I bitch and moan about how GM hasn't left the price of the convertible the same as it was a few years ago...

If you can afford $75 and wanna go -- then go. If you can't afford $75 -- tough break.

Well you have to have priorities.

Personally, I would love to have a convertible. I can't afford one right now. That doesn't mean I bitch and moan about how GM hasn't left the price of the convertible the same as it was a few years ago...

If you can afford $75 and wanna go -- then go. If you can't afford $75 -- tough break.

You bitch and moan plenty, Lt. Don't kid yourself.

As I said earlier, it's not about being able to afford it. It's determining whether it is worth $75 to go. My answer is no. It seems like many others here feel the same way.

Is it possible that CU's cost for putting on this recruiting luncheon has gone up too?

Sh!t rolls downhill, afterall.

Their cost may have gone up, but typical per person costs of something like this run in the $10-$20 range. I honestly don't think the "true" cost is $40 per person.

I really don't have an issue with the increase. I just won't go. I hope they sell a bunch of tickets to people who are more wealthy than I am, and raise a boatload of money.

We all have to face the reality that it costs money to run a successful D-1 athletic program. I'd personally love it if we could still charte $5 for a general admission ticket. But those days are gone forever.

I really don't have an issue with the increase. I just won't go. I hope they sell a bunch of tickets to people who are more wealthy than I am, and raise a boatload of money.

:yeahthat:

I hope this luncheon is a big success. I just fear the combination of the higher price, the bad economy, the lackluster recruiting class and the poor on-field results will mean this is a much smaller luncheon than in years past.

Last edited:
This is the first year they are promoting the donation side of it (at least that I can recall). Half of it you can write off on your taxes, just like season tickets. I know it is not a lot but it makes a difference. The AD needs to drum up money any way it can. This is not supposed to be an event for the students, it is for Alumni and boosters, that is why it is in Denver.

This is the first year they are promoting the donation side of it (at least that I can recall). Half of it you can write off on your taxes, just like season tickets. I know it is not a lot but it makes a difference. The AD needs to drum up money any way it can. This is not supposed to be an event for the students, it is for Alumni and boosters, that is why it is in Denver.

Man, they should have a less formal thing for the students. That would be pretty cool. Get people pumped up and remind them to attend the spring game. Have Hawk give a little talk, show the videos, etc. Have it prior to a home basketball game or something.

Man, they should have a less formal thing for the students. That would be pretty cool. Get people pumped up and remind them to attend the spring game. Have Hawk give a little talk, show the videos, etc. Have it prior to a home basketball game or something.

Now that would be a good idea

Now that would be a good idea

It would be an outstanding idea. I don't know where or when they'd hold such an event, but it would be great.

Is BuffThat still lurking around here anywhere? Dude needs to get this done.

I agree, that is a really good idea. I don't know what the rules are about the University organizing stuff like that (stupid NCAA). I wonder if anybody out there can speak to the feasability of doing something like that.

That is a good idea. You should pass that along to Bohn. Seriously.

Back