What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Recruiting Luncheon

Didn't Kory Sperry from the sheep ****ers get like 14 medical redshirts and was playing for 2 decades?

Didn't Kory Sperry from the sheep ****ers get like 14 medical redshirts and was playing for 2 decades?

I'm sure it happens more than most people realize. We only remember Sperry b/c the lammies are the first game of every season so he always played in that game before getting injured and needing the medical redshirt. Plus, he destroyed us every year but this one. I'm pretty sure Sypniewski got two medical redshirt years as well.

So, if you redshirt as a freshman then you get injured in your third game as a RFR, you can receive a med RS? But if you don't redshirt as a freshman and then you get injured as a soph you receive a medRS [like Miller, MTM] your redshirt is used up? But you can get another medRS? :confused:

Just watched the luncheon video and I am fired up!:thumbsup:
I luv having coach Mac a part of this university!

If you already used your redshirt, then you wouldn't be able to get a medical redshirt. Actually, I think this is the situation where you can apply for a 6th year of eligibility due to medical hardship or whatever.

If you already used your redshirt, then you wouldn't be able to get a medical redshirt.

This makes zero sense because why the separate name AND the application process for granting the medical shirt? A regular redshirt has no application process, it's simply given.

A medical redshirt does take the place of a redshirt year, if the player hasn't redshirted. However, a player can still be awarded a 2nd medical redshirt year as well, if he hasn't truly redshirted... See Byers -USC player from Loveland. So someone like MTM has 4 years of eligibility left and could actually get another year if he is awarded a Med RS.... You need a PHD in redshirt science these days....

I think these are the possible scenarios for a player exhausting his eligibility.

1. Player plays first four seasons. Total of four years in school, four full seasons played

2. Player plays four seasons and takes one redshirt year (usually freshman). Total of five years in school and four seasons played.

3. Player takes a redshirt in a season and in a subsequent season gets seriously injured early enough in the season to qualify for medical redshirt. He gets the medical redshirt. Thus, six years in school, four full seasons played, one partial season played, one full season out.

4. Player does not take a redshirt but is injured in a season early enough to qualify for medical redshirt. He is allowed to count that season as his redshirt season even though he had played in a game. He then plays out his eligibility but cannot take a voluntary redshirt at any time. Total of five years in school, four full seasons played, one partial season played.

5. Same as above except player is injured in a season after his medical redshirt year but still would otherwise qualify. I think he can still take the medical redshirt if granted. Thus, six seasons in school, four full seasons played, two partial seasons played.

I think the jist is that you can get up to two seasons of eligibility back. Either they redshirt and then are eligible for one medical redshirt or if they use the medical redshirt first they can only then get another medical redshirt if the circumstances arise.

I think these are the possible scenarios for a player exhausting his eligibility.

1. Player plays first four seasons. Total of four years in school, four full seasons played

2. Player plays four seasons and takes one redshirt year (usually freshman). Total of five years in school and four seasons played.

3. Player takes a redshirt in a season and in a subsequent season gets seriously injured early enough in the season to qualify for medical redshirt. He gets the medical redshirt. Thus, six years in school, four full seasons played, one partial season played, one full season out.

4. Player does not take a redshirt but is injured in a season early enough to qualify for medical redshirt. He is allowed to count that season as his redshirt season even though he had played in a game. He then plays out his eligibility but cannot take a voluntary redshirt at any time. Total of five years in school, four full seasons played, one partial season played.

5. Same as above except player is injured in a season after his medical redshirt year but still would otherwise qualify. I think he can still take the medical redshirt if granted. Thus, six seasons in school, four full seasons played, two partial seasons played.

I think the jizz is that you can get up to two seasons of eligibility back. Either they redshirt and then are eligible for one medical redshirt or if they use the medical redshirt first they can only then get another medical redshirt if the circumstances arise.

fify

Back