1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recruiting Positions

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by DBT, Oct 25, 2012.

1. DBT

DBT Club Member Club Member

So, Bohn is going to hire up to 6 recruiting guys to assist the football program in recruiting. He'll do it with football first and then expand to the other athletic programs. To me, this sounds like a really good idea and a pretty big investment. Does anyone know anything about this? The story is in The Post.

2. BuffClass90

BuffClass90 Banned BANNED

Not losing to CSU and Sac State might save them this money, but sounds like a decent idea. Sounds like Bohn is doing what he can within his power to help this pathetic program.

3. CUFan

CUFan Welcome back Club Member

I'd be interested in specifics. The more help the merrier, but don't kids want to play for coaches?

4. DenverBuff77

DenverBuff77 Member

Why not spend that money and hire a real coach? This move seems like we're guaranteed another year of Embo. I'm about to really not care anymore...

5. skibum

skibum Peed in your Cheerios. Club Member

I've said for years that CU should hire Mac - as "recruiting coordinator" for the entire AD. The man can not only sell ice to eskimos, he can convince them to install top of the line whole house (whole igloo?) air conditioning. When he did an in-house visit with a family - he came out with a commitment. At this point in his life/career, and especially with this coaching staff, I don't think there would be too much concern about him "taking over the coaching responsibilities" - especially if he was on the road recruiting with the women's volleyball coach (or insert other sports teams) during the day-to-day football coaching stuff.

6. J.R. Ewing

J.R. Ewing Club Member Club Member

What are the responsibilities of the recruiting assistants? Will they follow the coaches around and remind them no to tell in-state recruits things like "If you come to Colorado you can actually play, and if you go to big name schools you'll just ride pine". Maybe they'll remind the coaches to stay in phone contact with 4* TE recruits that are on the fence and being actively recruited by other schools. Just a few ideas.

7. DBT

Well, he is doing it for all sports, including basketball.

8. DBT

I think they'll develop recruiting data bases and contacts. But I'm not sure. The article says they will have experience in recruiting. How about AZ? Adam Munstertieger? lol

Hey, Nik......

9. BlackNGold

BlackNGold Club Member Club Member

It is a good idea. The positions will help take a lot of administrative stuff off the coaches plate.

10. DBT

Yeah. I think thats the idea. Plus, they will identify targets.

11. BuffUp

BuffUp W.T.T.F. Club Member

Bohn - what would help instead of hiring someone, is to put a model of the future of our program in the field house for all to see. Then make an announcement on facility upgrades. I am sure there is an engineering class that could make a pretty sweet model for all visitors to see the finished product.

12. Buffalo Brad

Buffalo Brad Club Member Club Member

I really think this speaks volumes about Bohn's position within the AD. He is doing what he can because he knows he will not be able to replace the coaching staff this year and how far it is going to set the program back. He is trying to limit the damage and salvage a program and a department he has limited control over. He knows that after next year they are going to have to make a change and is trying to do what he can to get as much talent in the door so the hole doesn't get exponentially deeper for the next staff. It looks like to me he is trying to all he can to limit the number of years it will take to get this thing back on track. Meager as it is, I really do believe he is doing all he can with the decision power he has.

13. BuffUp

BuffUp W.T.T.F. Club Member

eb's plate could afford to be taken

14. BuffNut99

BuffNut99 Club Member Club Member

All that leaves on their plate are seconds.

15. BuffaloChuck

BuffaloChuck Member

This depresses me. Really. It does. Could this staff NOT have recruiting databases already? Do they not realize THEY were listed in recruiting databases when they were in HS? I swear, DBT - if you make me ponder these incredibly depressing concepts anymore - grrr...

16. dio

dio Admin Club Member Junta Member

Where do I apply? :smile2:

17. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

It sounds pretty stupid.

18. BlackNGold

Come on guys. Lets not take every comment and try to make twist it into something it is not. First it was DBT's comment about the database not anyone else's. They have a recruiting database. These positions will do things like call HS coaches, develop resources and contacts across the country, help make sure all of a recruits paperwork is in order, etc.

THEY HAVE A RECRUITING DATABASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IGNORE DBT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

19. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

Sounds like the job of a recruiting coordinator...

20. DBT

You make me sad. :sad1:

Hell, I don't know what these people will do. I also can't believe, as the paper says, they are hiring 6 of 'em. But, I admit, I know nothing about recruiting, how it works, or what is entailed. Maybe these guys will be text messengers.

21. SINKRATZ

SINKRATZ Club Member Club Member

Just give the money they were going to pay these assistants directly to recruits, much better return on investment that way.

22. bigdaddybuffs

bigdaddybuffs Club Member Club Member

The way it is described in the article lends me to believe it would be similar to a baseball organizations scouting department. They would watch film, establish contacts, etc. to develop a list of potential recruits. They would not be able to make visits, etc. because of the NCAA limits.

23. BlackNGold

I did not want to make you SAD. Just someone took what you said and twisted it around.

24. DBT

Thanks. That made me happy. :smile2:

25. BlackNGold

BINGO!!! Today schools start following prospects when they are freshmen, they said the other day that Barkley at USC was offered when he was 14. If you think there are about (pick a number) 20,000 kids playing HS football per class across the country. That is a lot of tracking to do and a lot of contacts to be made. If you spent 5 minutes on the phone with every HS coach in Texas your year would be gone.

26. CUFan

CUFan Welcome back Club Member

+1. I'm sick of trying to do things the right way. Where's Happy when you need him?

27. Walter White

Walter White Member

I'm buying what you're selling.

28. TimmyDUBs

TimmyDUBs Dirty haole Club Member

Any extra energy spent on recruiting is good. I agree with Brad, it is good to see some sign of support for the program. This isn't seeking immediate relief or satisfaction, but taking a long-term route to develop relationships, identify good players, and get a real pipeline.

29. Walter White

Walter White Member

CU's coach needs to develope great relationships with Colorado High School coaches. Lock down the state first. That's where it starts.

30. leftybuff

leftybuff Iconoclast Club Member

I take away from the article what I already suspected...Embo and staff are here to stay. I suspect even a 1-11 season punctuated by multiple TD fanny kickings will not change that.

MB may be doing what he can (or more likely, what he is allowed to do), and that is great. But you are still buying pea shooters to compete in the P12 arms race.

Perhaps the most obvious thing is that BB and Dr. Phil are clearly running the show and MB is just their boy. MB probably wants to win, but at every stop, including the sevenyears at CU, he can only be described as the guy who has presided over the worst seven year stretch of FB CU has ever seen in it's 100+ years of playing the game. Hard for me to say MB is a success.