What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Recruiting Possibilities

Seems as though CU has a knack of landing the occasional 4* or 5* recruit, only to have them quit, get arrested, transfer, or flat out suck... what is up with that??

Seems as though CU has a knack of landing the occasional 4* or 5* recruit, only to have them quit, get arrested, transfer, or flat out suck... what is up with that??

In the last 7 years, they discovered that the coaching staff that recruited them had no ****ing clue what they were doing.

Ryan Miller was pretty true to his 5 star status. I think some of the CO 4 and 5 star recruits have been over rated.

Kasa ended up in the pros. To bad it took the coaches 4 years to figure out how to use him.

Wish Kasa could have been more dominating at CU. I think the QB play hurt him last year. He sure would be helping us out this year.

Ryan Miller was pretty true to his 5 star status. I think some of the CO 4 and 5 star recruits have been over rated.
Miller was pretty disappointing to me and this is coming from someone who went to Columbine. After his injury he was never the same, but he was not a dominant player. Since he no longer an "amateur athlete" I have no problem saying that in high school he did not practice well at all because he was just physically dominant and a lot of that translated to the college level.

Ryan Miller was a good enough 5 star to get drafted to the Pros but yeah I will back pedal a little bit and say that I am disappointed that he didn't turn into an elite RT and instead had to move to a G.

CU has had horrible luck with injuries over the past decade. Hope the new strength coach can get if fixed.

Ryan Miller was a good enough 5 star to get drafted to the Pros but yeah I will back pedal a little bit and say that I am disappointed that he didn't turn into an elite RT and instead had to move to a G.

CU has had horrible luck with injuries over the past decade. Hope the new strength coach can get if fixed.

He was drafted because of his frame. Look like Tarzan, play like Jane.

If he is in the NFL he doesn't play like Jane. He was good enough to play in games as a Rookie.

Offensive linemen are difficult to project from High School. An observation I've made is that the "services" will value a guy who looks like an NFL lineman in high school very high vs a guy that is 240 pounds, but has the frame and athleticism to get there thru development. I hear Maximus doing this all the time. He likes kids that are 300 pounds in High School over a similiar frame kid who may play 3 sports and is only 240 lbs. I think the services can't help themselves from falling in love with big dudes. A good example of this happens all the time in our own backyard in that CSU routinely puts O-Line guys in the NFL and it's often the strength of their team. It's a position where "star rankings" means less to me than others.

Ryan Miller had an NFL body and an NFL mean streak in high school. There was no questions to be asked about his physical size/strength or his toughness and demeanor, and so he got 5 stars. On the flip side, David Bahktiari has better feet, more agility, and overall athleticism, but he wasn't even a starter his Jr year of High School IIRC. He was 240 pounds or so. So a lot of things had to fall in place, but if you told a scout that Bahktiari would get to 290 pounds of good weight in 2 years, he'd probably have taken Bahktiari then over Miller. That is just my opinion, so TiFWIW.

Miller routinely got beat (at CU and in NFL) on run blocks by getting too high (always a concern when the guy is 6'8") and beat on pass blocks by not having elite footwork/agility. I think Ryan always worked hard, liked to hit, and when he would engage his man properly, he could do some destruction.

Ryan had some issues with playing to high and with footwork as holic states.

He is a guy who easy has the size and the agility to be an NFL player but like so many kids we saw under the Hawkins regime he never seemed to develop. He was getting beat on the same things as a jr. as he was as a soph.

Some guys plateau early and never get better at every school but CU seems to have had more than our share in recent years.

His measurables were good enough to get him drafted in the 4th round and he even started some games as a rookie due to injuries. The Browns must not have seen the kind of progress they wanted though because they cut him this year. He had a scary incident with a head injury and concern about a re-occurence may have influenced the decision to cut him and others decision not to pick him up. At the same time when the incident happened he was running 3rd string on the depth chart so barring a significant change he was very questionable to make the team even if he hadn't gotten hurt.

Figured I'd bump this thread now that the season is over and the coaches are in full-fledged recruiting mode. The class is largely filled up and many have questions about the caliber of guys on board so far. There is still time to close with some star power and contributors. Who are we going after over the next couple of months and who can we land?

SO right now I show 4-6 more spots to fill. I'd love to see two guys sub in the 4.5 time zone at 6' or over. I'd love to see two more guys in a 6' + frame and able to carry a linemens weight.

I'm so happy with the JC addition to the secondary. I'd love us to close a 4*. Just one for christmas!!

Think we take 4-5 more. My wish list:

1. Speedy WR
2. Two tall DEs
3. Tall safety

I think witherspoon may end up being the tall safety. Id add a juco ol to the wish list

I want another tall safety even if Witherspoon ends up being a safety.

With you there. Don't know where White ends up playing but you can see where the staff is looking for some size at DB and numbers. Play a lot of 6 DB sets and I don't see the tide turning on that one anytime soon.

We return Bell, Thompson and Mosley and I wouldn't bet the farm that Mosley will be around. We need immediate help there, given the targeting rules, and just needing depth.

Assuming 4-5 spots remaining.

1) A really good receiver. No excuses if they strike out here. We have a weak depth chart, a returning QB and are about to put one of the best in the conference into the NFL.
2) JUCO OT.
3) HS interior OL.
4) CB/S with speed.
5) One more fast RB/WR/DB. Reggie Turner or Donovan Lee. I'm not sure we have the best ability to make use of this type of player on offense but I would take one of them anyways for the ST help and as a potential DB.

With you there. Don't know where White ends up playing but you can see where the staff is looking for some size at DB and numbers. Play a lot of 6 DB sets and I don't see the tide turning on that one anytime soon.

We return Bell, Thompson and Mosley and I wouldn't bet the farm that Mosley will be around. We need immediate help there, given the targeting rules, and just needing depth.

whats your reasoning behind mosley? and we are also returning Terrell smith off an injury. At this point we know what Terrell can provide, he will add depth and leadership to the position, but is definitely undersized. He can lay the hammer though for a little guy.

whats your reasoning behind mosley? and we are also returning Terrell smith off an injury. At this point we know what Terrell can provide, he will add depth and leadership to the position, but is definitely undersized. He can lay the hammer though for a little guy.

If Terrell is playing a lot of safety for us we are in trouble. He is not only undersized but lacks the kind of speed needed to play effectively in the PAC12. I think the place we really missed him this year was on coverage teams. He has the physical nature and aggressiveness along with adequete speed to be a difference maker on punt and KO coverage, areas where we struggled this season.

This goes without saying, but I hope we're planting seeds with plenty of the most highly regarded '15 recruits right now. Ones that might not give us the time of day right now. Tell them we want them to be a part of something special and keep an eye on us as we break ground for facilities and make strides on the field. We're kind of an intriguing underdog right now.

So how many more kids can we take? Do we only have 2 spots left? There are still so many kids we seem to be in on that we need.

IF we really only have 2 guys left, I'd take a juco OT and a speedy receiver (ideally taller than me :). But we also have the twins and several other guys still on our board so I am not sure how this will shake out.

Back