What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Recruiting rankings do matter!!

Our coaching has alot to do with our poor production from 4 and 5 star players. Other schools get 4 and 5 star guys and they contribute big time. Just my opinion, but Talkins doesn't coach up players or put them in a position where their talents can contribute. If you have any confidence in Steele's recruiting rankings - look at the best rankings over the last 5 years and those teams finish with very successful seasons.
Razorbuff, your boy Mallett is rated QB PS#1, I'd say this is right. He's a freakin nightmare.
View attachment 5024

yes I know this

One variable factor is the bias of rating services. For example, everyone knows that Tom Lemming strokes ND's ****. If ND starts sniffing around after a kid, BOOM... that recruit gains at least 1-2 stars. This same phenomenon occurs for Duke in NCAA hoops. It serves to create artificial expectations for the fanbase... i.e. Weis supposedly landed like three straight Top 5 classes, yet he struggled to get to .500 each year and his superstar recruits have underwhelmed.

I see people mention this but I believe the rationale is a little off (except for the idiot Tom Lemming). The recruiting services gather information but the real evaluations are done by the schools. If I run a recruiting service and I have a HS player ranked a 2 star based on the information available and then I find out that Texas, USC, Florida and Ohio State are all offering I would start getting more information on the player - calling the contacts I have, calling HS coaches, and scouts who have seen him play. Based on the new information I now decide I should re-evaluate that player.

By the way it seems that Duke won the NCAA tournament with those inflated rankings of their recruiting class.

Notre Dame and CU had/have the same problem - bad coaching and failure to develop the available talent.

Notre Dame and CU had/have the same problem - bad coaching and failure to develop the available talent.

But the big difference there is Money and consistency. ND will Always have the Money, the support, and the commitment for excellence... We don't have the money. We Really don't have the support, and we really really don't have the commitment right now.

CU has several individuals with above-average talent surrounded by others with well-below-average talent. There can be no reason for getting absolutely blown off the field by a time like Toledo other than a void of talent as a whole.

The Buffs have frequently looked totally out-talented by less-than-stellar teams. That is a big issue. When your players literally can't keep up with a team from a conference that I can't even name without checking, there is a talent issue, period.

CU has several individuals with above-average talent surrounded by others with well-below-average talent. There can be no reason for getting absolutely blown off the field by a time like Toledo other than a void of talent as a whole.

The Buffs have frequently looked totally out-talented by less-than-stellar teams. That is a big issue. When your players literally can't keep up with a team from a conference that I can't even name without checking, there is a talent issue, period.

Toledo did not have more talent than CU. (nor did CSU for that matter). CU lost those games by having an unprepared team and poor coaching. I tend to believe that Pi$$bomber is correct and the defensive coordination was changed after the Toledo game. The biggest change on defense was getting Mahnke off the field and putting Burney in more of a key role in the defensive backfield. CU was not out talented in those games, they were surely outplayed and outcoached.

Our team speed, as a whole, did not appear to be even particularly close to Toledo's. That is a talent issue, in my opinion.

Granted, our coaches do have a certain affinity for leaving our fast WR's sitting on the bench, so who knows.

Our team speed, as a whole, did not appear to be even particularly close to Toledo's. That is a talent issue, in my opinion.

Granted, our coaches do have a certain affinity for leaving our fast WR's sitting on the bench, so who knows.
Our team was as fast as Toledo's. We were confused, out of position, and humiliated at the end. Confusion always translates to playing slow.

Back