1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recruiting really was bad under Hawkins...

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by BlackNGold, Oct 17, 2011.

1. BlackNGold

BlackNGold Club Member Club Member

I stole the following from Netbuffs. Originally posted by 84 Buffgrad...

As someone else said...it would be interesting to compare to some other PAC schools

2. NW Buff

NW Buff Club Member Club Member

I've been thinking about "Boise State" type players and Hawkins recruiting style for a while now. I know it doesn't apply to Boise anymore but it always puzzled me why schools like Boise, Utah, TCU, etc were able to pull unheralded guys and get a lot out of them but when places like CU get those type players, it doesn't seem to work.

Basically I think you are doomed by being a BCS school. The non-BCS schools can tell the kids to play with a chip on their shoulder because no BCS school recruited them. If you are a BCS school, you can't really say that to them. The simple fact that they got the offer from your school validates them in their mind and they won't play with the same angst.

3. J.R. Ewing

J.R. Ewing Club Member Club Member

45%. Holy ****!

4. zbuff

zbuff Club Member Club Member

Do you really think BSU would have the same record over the last 5 years if they were in the PAC or Big 12? I like Peterson as a coach, but their record is at least 1/2 about the schedule. The half that isn't about schedule: they do perform well on the bigger stage even if it is only a couple of games a year, and that's due to coaching. How long will Peterson stay? There will be a lot of tempting offers this year.

5. J.R. Ewing

J.R. Ewing Club Member Club Member

(Chip on the Shoulder) > (A Twinkle in the Eye)

Boise St has had a decent number of guys get drafted. I think it's more than getting more from less. I think Boise coaches put in a lot of work and found the true diamonds in the rough.

6. tante

tante Club Member Club Member

absolutely agree. Just look at Utah. You play with the big boys week after week and you have a lot more players hurt, and it is impossible to scheme that much. Lets just face it, Hawkins tried to turn us into a non-bcs school.

7. skibum

skibum Peed in your Cheerios. Club Member

Exactly! He thought the same things that worked at a non-bcs school would work at a bcs school. And, if I'm honest, who could blame him for thinking that when a plurality of college football "fans" honestly think Boise State could/would be just as good if they were to play in a bcs conference? Idots.

8. Buffarino

Buffarino Math - how does it work? Club Member

Of course not. Look no further than Utah this year for evidence. BSU is not a top 10 team if they play in a real conference.

9. PhillyBuff

PhillyBuff Club Member Club Member

Yeah but how many of those players had 2 stay at home dads?

I could get in trouble for this.... I was only referring to the comment Hawk made about a 2 parent family and putting another twist on it.....

10. btbuff

btbuff It's an inside joke Club Member

I don't mind finding hidden talent, but damn 55%. Thats a stretch to call all of that hidden talent.

11. leftybuff

leftybuff Iconoclast Club Member

hawkins was a fraud and a mental pygmy...

12. Heywood

Heywood The actual El Guapo Club Member

so does this mean that Hansen had no other BCS offers?

13. leftybuff

14. MtnBuff

MtnBuff Not allowed in Barzil 2 Club Member

Schools in non-AQ conferences like Boise can get away with recruiting like this because they play enough creampuffs that they don't overextend key players reducing injuries and more importantly have a lot of opportunity to develop players with live action when they are up by 35 at half-time. In a BCS conference you don't get a lot of opportunity to do that.

15. Heywood

Heywood The actual El Guapo Club Member

Well in that case I am pretty impressed with his work and Sheer's coaching

16. MtnBuff

MtnBuff Not allowed in Barzil 2 Club Member

I respect and support Hansen but honestly how many teams in the PAC 12 would he be the starter for, even if he had better development instead of being messed with by Hawk. Same question, how many Big XII teams would he start for, Big X, SEC, even ACC.

Ask the same question about a lot of our "key" players and you get the same answer, few or none. I support our players 100% but we really don't have much talent on the roster.

17. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

I did not hear many objections to his recruiting at the time.

18. SanDiegoBuff

SanDiegoBuff Club Member Club Member

With scholarship limits these days, most first strings can compete against first strings. The separators are depth. When Boise can pull most of it's starters... IN CONFERENCE PLAY... before the first half is over, it's easy to maintain those first stringers. Move into a conference with better competition, they need to start to rely on backups more, they're an 8-4 team at best.

19. leftybuff

D II brought his recruiting system here. What I mean is Boise can "recruit around the edges" and have great success. Thier roster is loaded with guys who, for whatever reason, got passed over by the big boys. Sometimes it's grades (since Boise is roughly three steps below KjSU this is self-explanatory), sometimes injury, sometimes attitude. Boise could take flyers on these guys since them, and schools like Fresno, could build a roster out of a few high profile guys and a bunch of on the cusp BCS athletes. Since they play a pansy schedule, it works for all the reasons others have pointed out.

Hawk came here, landed a handful of studs, filled in with the recruiting around the edges strategy, sprinkled in some walk on wunderkinds and got his *** handed to him by more talented BCS teams. The guy was a fraud.... Ask yourself why some guys came to CU who were very highly regarded but never seemed to get past the injury bug, grades or attitude issues. You figure out who...I don't really think those are necessarily coincidences....

20. 77buff

77buff Well-Known Member

Everything was really bad under Hawkins. HE burned CU to the ground.

21. Liver

Liver modded mod Club Member Junta Member

fairbanks > hawkins

pretty sad that i think a broken down old drunk who barely focused on football and seemed ambivalent about even being in boulder was a better head coach than dan hawkins.

hawkins is a program killer.

22. Crash Davis

Crash Davis MA....THE MEATLOAF!!! Club Member

Speedy, probably the best player we have right now, was a guy Hawkins signed by pure luck. That tells me everything about Hawkins recruiting. Hey, it's nice to find a diamond in the rough, but when a DITR is the best player on your entire team, what does that say about your other 84 players? :huh:

23. BuffNut99

BuffNut99 Club Member Club Member

Richardson is the best player on the team, followed by Rippy at this point.

24. Daaah

Daaah Club Member Club Member

Miller is listed as mid-season 1st team all pac 12.

25. BlackNGold

BlackNGold Club Member Club Member

I complained...of course I am just a complainer. In the early years I did not like his approach of recruiting all over the place because I believe it is difficult to build the relationships that you need when you are spread out all over the place. The fallout from this still haunts CU today because there was no pipeline in place.

I could go on but there was complaining and it got worse when more people caught on to what was happening.

26. PhillyBuff

PhillyBuff Club Member Club Member

Fairbanks sounds like most AllBuffs Posters here...... Hawkins sounds like JRK.

27. Buff_nc

Buff_nc Club Member Club Member

So with this logic, our offensive line is by far the team strength? :rolling_eyes:

28. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

true to an extent, but don't forget lots of the higher valued players left :lol:

29. fatbuff

fatbuff Well-Known Member

Imagine if Chucky was given a year past when they finally let him go. The adminsitration should be taking more heat.

30. aik

aik Club Member Club Member

Arguably the best coach Hawk brought here was Jeff Grimes. Auburn is reaping the rewards from that and we got Denver Johnson to coach em down for two years following.