What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Red-zone play calling

slider

Hasta la Viska
Club Member
I think we were down 14 in the 3rd and had 1st and goal from the six

1st down: Run up the middle
2nd down: Run up the middle
3rd down: Fade to Prich
4th down: Some cluster**** roll-out incompletion

So on 3rd and goal from the 5 we are obviously not running the ball. But they line up 2 WR's and 2 TE's. We are clearly not going to pass to the TE's. How about get some better players out on the field?
4th down: Why not just take the points? 11 points is not insurmountable.

it was actually 1st and goal at the 4

CU ran into a 9 man front on 1st down and then followed that up by a 10 man front on 2nd down

I really, really wanted points on that drive. Three would have been sufficient. That was very deflating for the team.

That was the turning point for me in the game.

As bad as the 2nd quarter ended, the lack of points on that drive killed any chance that we had.

Get the easy 3, be down by only 11 points with the entire 4th quarter to play.

Dehnker had already thrown 2 int's during the game so he wasn't perfect by any means. I know the d was having trouble stopping them but you never know what is going to happen.

As a coach I have to put my team in the best position to win. I don't buy the whole line of having trying to instill some confidence in your offense. How about getting some points and showing that you have some confidence that your defense can make a play.

If we are down by 11, the fake punt doesn't happen. The fans don't immediately pour out of the stands and we actually have a game into the fourth quarter.

Really bad move in my simple mind.

We didn't really have a chance to win that game after the meltdown at the end of the 1st half. As bad as their defense is, and were shooting themselves in the foot with uncharacteristic penalties, the fact is they were moving the ball more easily than we were. But this team has no business giving up points. I was sure they were going to try to pull them offside to get a reasonable chance to go for a TD - 4 yards was too much for this offense. I was surprised when they ran a play.

Last edited:
yea... with no realistic threat of the TE in the passing game, I really think we should have spread them out with WR, no matter if we were running or passing. Red zone play calling and execution have been horrendous for us all year.

Back