What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Redemption

dcbuffman

A couple of years ago, there was an NFL coach who, despite being quite skilled, was strangely rigid in his approach to team management. He lost the support of his players, especially the stars. The team was playing poorly despite having a talent-rich roster. And, the fans and local media were calling for his head. The owners, however, had faith in their guy and stuck with him.

That coach was Tom Coughlin. At age 60-something, Coughlin took stock of himself, made some fundamental changes in how he dealt with players, and went out the next year and won a Super Bowl. Now, NYG fans consider him a friggin' genius.

Maybe Hawk's presser this past week was a turning point. Maybe he's now ready to look deep inside himself and let go of some of the "principles' that were holding him and the Buffs back. Maybe he's at the point where he can address some of the things (little and big) that have stood between him and success on the field.

I believe in redemption. I think Hawk is capable of change. I know there's lots of young talent on the team. I know Hawk can coach because he's had a lot of success in the past (and let's not go down the path that CU is so much different from Boise). Clearly, he's been doing some things wrong, but, with introspection and humility, I'm hopeful he can get things going in the right direction.

Go Buffs!

dc,

Nice post. Without hope, what's the point? Hawkins is a smart guy, he's been a winner his entire life until CU, and, if you think about the depth chart, position group rotations and schemes, this coaching staff has shown a willingness to make wholesale changes.

The one principle I'd like to see Hawkins think about some is the demand that a player demonstrates he's an achiever and "gets it" in the classroom, around campus and at practice before earning game snaps. While I agree with the message and the principle, I'd like to see less rigidity. Some guys are going to be motivated to do all the other stuff well (academics/citizenship/practice) because they're fired up about getting game time and don't want to lose it. A little more flexibility to account for the different personalities would serve him well, I think.

One thing I will give Hawkins credit for is scrapping that player grouping crap when it was clear it wasn't working.

Back