What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Referees Tonight

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
Is there something in the Pac-12 membership agreement that stipulates that the refs have to either lose control or over-control the game every time ASU comes to Boulder?

That was horrible tonight.

ASU took 39 FTs in this one. Buffs took 33. That's 72 friggin' free throws in 40 minutes of basketball.

Almost worse than the incredibly quick whistle any time a ball handler was touched (even if he initiated the contact) is that the refs seemed to miss calls on plays when there was actually a lot of contact against a shooter.

I'm sure there are Sun Devils fans who are pissed about some calls from tonight (how could there not be in a game that was so over-officiated in such an inconsistent way), but as a Buff fan I went beyond annoyed at the incompetence and got to the point where I thought that they might be trying to intentionally screw CU tonight.

The incredibly quick whistle on the jump ball?

The 2 calls that went against Josh on the baseline drive and the play in the middle of the paint?

The failure to blow the damn whistle on plays when Josh and Dustin took it to the rim and got hit by 2 players on their shots?

The inbounds to Ski when ASU was trying to foul and knocked him back and forth on the baseline with no call?

I don't often complain about refs. I almost never complain after a win. But this crew should be ashamed of the job they did tonight.

I normally dont give officials much thought beyond the last call or two. But tonight it was a long, lingering concern. I thought it was very inconsistent. And seemed like when sendek would cry they would call more his way.

The white-haired guy needs to be retired. He knew he f'd up a couple of times and made blatantly obvious makeup calls.

My girlfriend thought the officiating was "bizzare". I agreed. That was just a bad officiating team.

And they were so confident about their bad calls...... :rolling_eyes:

That was abysmal officiating and even Kayden asked me if the Refs wanted CU to lose tonight. Nik, you hit the instances I would have called out as well. The Pac needs to address how badly these games are officiated. The tape of this game needs to be sent to Scott and he needs to watch it. The Pac is a laughing stock when it comes to the officials.

Truly strange that this continues to happen when we face ASU. 3rd year in a row now we've had to deal with this bull****. If ASU wants to bitch about calls, fine, but they got 39 ****ing free throws in a road game.

I think in the last 30 seconds or so we were seeing a couple of makeup calls go against Josh.

Initially, I suspect the plan was to hit him with a flagrant if he were knocked unconscious at any point during the game. When that didn't happen, they went to plan B.

Just a guess, though.

The last 30 seconds were so weird. Especially when they went to the monitor after the Talton missed free throw. They haven't been getting the calls right all night, why start then.

I didn't see the game but I'm not shocked in the least. I've seen them brutal in the games I've watched this year. 39 ft's for a road team, Wtf ever. Sounds like over officiating, the fans didn't come to watch the refs. It's like some of them think they do or something.

Horrible, horrible refereeing. Of course, ASU got home-teamed on that late throw-in where the clock operator ****ed up. :lol:

Horrible, horrible refereeing. Of course, ASU got home-teamed on that late throw-in where the clock operator ****ed up. :lol:

Herb was screaming at the refs, and they just looked at him like "dafuq do you want us to do about it, the CO screwed it up, not us! This time."

The refs also have the ability to operate the clock. That's what the little pager looking things they wear are. Knowing that crew, they probably ****ed that one up too.

Sendek was being ridiculous though, he was shouting "we would've had a layup." Talton was two steps ahead of the nearest scum devil and would've got that ball.

Herb complains at a high school girl level, ridiculous how much he and his staff complain about everything. I think the students got in their heads a bit.

And yeah, awful officiating last night. Terrible when the refs think the game should be about them and then having that big of an influence on the outcome.

Herb complains at a high school girl level, ridiculous how much he and his staff complain about everything. I think the students got in their heads a bit.

And yeah, awful officiating last night. Terrible when the refs think the game should be about them and then having that big of an influence on the outcome.

The C-Unit has found the right buttons to push with the sun devils. Too bad there weren't more of them there last night.

I could not believe how bad the calls were, and they seemed to get WORSE Down the stretch. When they were purposefully fouling ski and didnt get the whistle right after josh breathed on his defender in the paint.....

What a joke.

I could not believe how bad the calls were, and they seemed to get WORSE Down the stretch. When they were purposefully fouling ski and didnt get the whistle right after josh breathed on his defender in the paint.....

What a joke.

That was my favorite. The refs seem to forget for a moment that fouling actually helped ASU, and they refused to even call the intentional foul. That last one on Josh was just sad.

Seemed like the refs ran to the monitors about 5x. Does anyone know what situations they can look at?
-Clock
-Flagrant potential

On one play ball went out of bounds and ref IMMEDIATELY pointed "CU Ball", then they were at monitor. Announcer then confirmed CU ball after they watched the cartoon.
If a ref is that quick and definite on out of bounds call, is it appropriate to run to monitor?

Seemed like the refs ran to the monitors about 5x. Does anyone know what situations they can look at?
-Clock
-Flagrant potential

On one play ball went out of bounds and ref IMMEDIATELY pointed "CU Ball", then they were at monitor. Announcer then confirmed CU ball after they watched the cartoon.
If a ref is that quick and definite on out of bounds call, is it appropriate to run to monitor?

Based on how much time is left on the clock, referees are required to go to the monitor to confirm possession calls. They are also required to review potential flagrant fouls (contact to the head). It was annoying and slowed that game down even more, but that's something they were actually doing right. If they hadn't been calling over a foul per minute of game action, it wouldn't have been so annoying.

-Clock
-Flagrant potential

Based on how much time is left on the clock, referees are required to go to the monitor to confirm possession calls. They are also required to review potential flagrant fouls (contact to the head). It was annoying and slowed that game down even more, but that's something they were actually doing right. If they hadn't been calling over a foul per minute of game action, it wouldn't have been so annoying.

The one where Ski was fouled they went to the monitor to determine if it was for 3 or 2. Same with the one where the ASU kid ended up with 3 foul shots. Both were close to the three pt line and they were not looking to see what type of foul but to determine whether it was a 3 pt attempt.

Back