What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Report Card on Embree's First Year...

I hate Greg Brown! Also, Greg Brown is a terrible recruiter and the worst game day coach I have seen in any sport at any level.

F ****ing minus for Greg Brown. Everybody else gets an A.

Signed,

BigBang2

eh... your on my turf, man.

Why are some bummed out on the lack of top in-state CO recruits committing to CU? Seems like there aren't that many to begin with. Rivals lists six 4* recruits in CO. Scout lists four 4*. Numbers are greater in TX and CA and you have to establish a pipeline to those areas which JE is doing.

Agree with the general sentiment presented in this thread. The only real problem I had with the new staff are some of the failures on the in-state recruiting front. Overall: good, not great, job, with optimism looking forward, pending on the ability of the staff to continue to recruit above our record.

Tough to grade. The injuries on the defensive side were simply unreal. However, I saw improvement as the season wore on. EB did a great job calling most of the games. The culture is definitely changing back to big-boy football around there. Would have liked to see wins out of those Cal and WSU games, which brings my grade down. I give him a C+ overall.

Grading it today is unfair. If you do it you give him a C+.
The bad is they won three games and were positively blown out in several. At times the gap looked years and years away.

The good is they played hard all year. They got better. I don't think Embree is a pussy and I think his team is starting to reflect that. That's something you couldn't say for the last five years.

The only real problem I had with the new staff are some of the failures on the in-state recruiting front.

Why is this such an issue? There weren't that many top recruits from CO to begin with. Not one 5* and only a few 4*. JE can't build a competitor from a handful of CO recruits. Opening the pipelines to TX and CA is much more important than getting a couple in-state kids to stay home.

an incomplete is the only grade i can give them at this point.

there are signs of hope and promise of possibly better days ahead. but, if you look at the depth chart and you look at the rest of the p12, you'll find that there is still a ton of work to be done.

mora at ucla really showed us the difference between being a bit "down" and being totally off the radar. we've fallen completely off the radar but the staff is clearly working hard to change that. hopefully, their talent evaluation and development prove to be superior to some of the staffs in the conference. the stretch goal really needs to be to make a bowl game.

That is not what I said..never said the grade was based upon the number of wins. The Utah win on the road is one of the only tangible measures that the culture is changing...over the past few years this team was beat on the road when they got off the plane. The Utah win shows (to me at least) that the culture is changing for the positive. My overall grade is based upon the overall program status not the on the field record.

Okay, I can accept that. I hereby undo any besmirchment previously imposed. Sticking with my grade, though. :smile2:

there are signs of hope and promise of possibly better days ahead. but, if you look at the depth chart and you look at the rest of the p12, you'll find that there is still a ton of work to be done.

mora at ucla really showed us the difference between being a bit "down" and being totally off the radar. we've fallen completely off the radar but the staff is clearly working hard to change that. hopefully, their talent evaluation and development prove to be superior to some of the staffs in the conference. the stretch goal really needs to be to make a bowl game.

You mean there is more to grading Embree than just considering his 3-9 record?

That seems way too complicated.

There has been lot’s of good points made in this thread. But I also like the fact that JE and EB display emotion, passion, and enthusiasm on the sidelines. (Something that sorely lacked with the previous staff) Both truly care about making the program successful. Yeah, they've got a ways to go, but they’ve shown they can recruit, coach, improve the culture, and care about their players. Knowing they had a ton of injuries last year, and such a brutal schedule, I have to give them at least a C+.

Probably the most realistic and accurate post in the thread.

It took D2 five years to tear this program down to the condition that Embree and Co. found it in. Most of us here including me didn't want to see or admit how bad this team really was. Simply stated we had terrible talent before the injuries hit. A lot of the guys we had as key players were at best WAC/MWC level talents, and a number of those guys will still be with us this year.

Bigger than the talent issue (if that is possible) is that this team had not only accepted losing but embraced it, they looked for ways to lose, and usually found them.

Nobody was going to fix all of this in one year. What I look at is did we get appreciably better in the last year compared to the other teams in our conference. In my view we got much better. We are recruiting kids who other PAC schools want and who are at that talent level. The last half of the year we saw real signs of change in the attitude of the team including winning 2 of the last 3 including one on the road.

We still have a long way to go to compete on an even basis with the Oregons, USCs, Stanfords of the conference but we are a lot closer than we were 14 months ago. On that basis I give Embree a better than passing grade but Incomplete is far more accurate.

I thought now would be a good time to review the first year of the Embree Hire since CU has completed a year on the field and had their first full recruiting cycle. This is still a work in progress but it is fair to give a interim assessment. This is my assessment and yes it is subjective...I am sure that others have different points of view.

Settle down here people.

Nobody here is trying to suggest that Ebree and staff have to fix everything in one year. We all know this is a massive rebuilding project. IMO it isn't unfair to grade his annual progress. Like BnG mentioned above, it's still a work in progress.

Plus it's the offseason. We'll probably have twenty more of these threads. :lol:

Last edited:
Back