1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Retained with 7 wins, extended with 9?

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by Buffnik, Oct 5, 2010.

1. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

http://www.buffzone.com/

2. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

I don't think he gets an extension under any circumstances. In fact, I don't think he is retained with anything less than 8 wins. I truly believe Bohn can't stand the sight of the guy.

3. dio

dio Admin Club Member Junta Member

Bohn couldn't be that dumb.... could he?

There are far too many bad loses to just forget it all.

4. Sexton Hardcastle

Sexton Hardcastle Club Member Club Member

5. buffsyko

buffsyko Club Member Club Member

He won't reach either win total so ....

6. Timbuff10

Timbuff10 Member

Not about how many wins he gets this year, it is about if he is right for the future of CU. It would be great for him to go out with 8 or 9 wins, but the guy just isn't right for CU.

7. zbuff

zbuff Club Member Club Member

I have that same fear, actually. What if we eke out 6 wins and then win the Hawkins-up-my-ass Bowl when our 6-6 opponent fumbles away the win on their last play? I can see the administration eyeing that $2mil or whatever it is and keeping DH around another year.

8. BinaryBuff

BinaryBuff mmmm...beer Club Member

I went into the season fearing that Hawk would be retained if we hit 6 wins and a bowl. I've since changed my opinion that he has a shot of be retained if we hit 7 or 8, including wins against OU and or NU. But, it might be something where we're sitting at 6 wins going into the Corn game and they announce it'll be his last game in the week leading up to it.

Never, and I mean never, did I expect to hear extension talk. No way does that happen unless he yanks out 10+ wins this year or figures out how to win the Big 12.

9. GoBuffs!!

GoBuffs!! Active Member

10 wins nothing less

10. CarolinaBuff

CarolinaBuff Weekend Poster Club Member

Retained with 7 wins?!? :wtf: There's very little doubt that he'll be able to reach 7 wins at this point.

Very upsetting to hear this. :sad1:

11. MtnBuff

MtnBuff Not allowed in Barzil 2 Club Member

If he wins 9 games or even 8 I could see him getting an extension. The difference this time would be that the extension is written with a very low buyout unless he continues to win in future seasons.

I am not sure that he reachs 8 or even 7 though even with where he is at now. We have seen this team in the past look good then simply fall apart, we haven't yet seen this team maintain any form of consistent quality play over a period of time.

12. 92Buff

92Buff Well-Known Member

I can't think of any circumstance this season outside of a MNC where an extension should even be mentioned. If they feel the need to give him more chances based upon success, there should still be no talk of extension until the existing contract is about to expire...and if he doesn't like that then go ahead and leave.

8 regular season wins minimum to have a shot for next year...and to even consider an extension - he better win 10 next season...period.

The thought of having Dan coach us even next year regardless of success this season makes me want to throw up.

13. Rraalph 3000

Rraalph 3000 Well-Known Member

No way can it only be on wins alone right now...think the other posts about how he needs to win AND prove we can play and win some football (not 8th grade soccer) games on the road, improve recruiting etc. make much more sense from a guy like Bohn

Especially since the long term goal of every program is to win a National Championship....not just make mediocre bowl games forever

14. GoBuffs08

GoBuffs08 Well-Known Member

No chance is there extension talk even happening. He could win 10 games this year and Bohn better not offer an extension. Win 10 games and come back next year and do it again and maybe I will want Hawkins back for 2012.

Anything short of 9-10 wins and he can pack his office the day after the Nubs game.

15. buffedup

buffedup Cooler than a Popsicle Stand. Club Member

7 wins won't cut it with no road victories.

16. absinthe

absinthe Ambitious but rubbish. Club Member Junta Member

We are getting WAY ahead of ourselves this is the classic DH hook we've fallen into about 5 times already. Beat a team NO ONE expects us to beat in thrilling fashion at home and then? turd central on the road. ALL of these discussions are premature until we see what happens at Mizzery this weekend. If any of you need be reminded their average margin of victory is something on the order of 50-9 over the past three years, with 2 of those being in Boulder where we are an above .500 team

17. Lt.Col.FrankSlade

Lt.Col.FrankSlade Well-Known Member

I think this CU team could get on a roll - either in a positive fashion, or a negative fashion.

If - by some miracle - they were to beat Mizzou on the road, I could see them getting on a bit of a run, beating Baylor, beating Tech, playing OU a decent game, then beating KU on the road, beating ISU and KSU - and showing up at the Nebraska game with 9 wins in their pocket already.

If - as is more likely - they were to get thumped by Mizzou on the road, I could see them rolling over, getting beat by Baylor, getting beat by Tech, getting thumped by OU on the road, squeaking out a win over KU, before losing to ISU at home, who knows against KSU - and showing up at the Nebraska game with a head coach ready to be fired.

18. El Gringo

El Gringo Pura Vida Club Member

The chancellor has said on more than one occasion that he expects an upper-tier bowl and competitive in every game, which I take to mean Alamo (which has the 5th choice - 4th if the Gator does not pick a B12 team) or better. 7 wins will not get a team to the Alamo. Hawk is already on a short leash with the debacle at Cal.

Based on my conversations with the Chancellor, Ringo is wrong. 7 wins = fired; 8 wins = toss-up; 9 wins = Hawk in 2011. If we get to 9 wins, the question is whether they give Hawk a short extension. If you keep him with only one year on his contract, he's not going to be able to recruit anyone (you think this year is bad?). If you keep him (after 9 wins), you have to give him a chance to succeed, and that means, IMO, a 2 year extension with a termination provision that is very favorable to CU.

19. Lt.Col.FrankSlade

Lt.Col.FrankSlade Well-Known Member

Hawkins' current contract runs through 2012. So he will have 2 years left on his contract at the conclusion of this season.

20. CUFan

CUFan Welcome back Club Member

This is frightening. Please tell me Bohn is moving on regardless of wins/losses. There are better coaches out there. I hope sackman is correct.

21. NashBuff

NashBuff CSU Knob-Slobberer

Sounds like a good plan according to what Ringo said.

22. El Gringo

What I meant was that if you keep him for 2011, with only one more year AFTER that (i.e., 2012)...

23. BinaryBuff

BinaryBuff mmmm...beer Club Member

I want to be optimistic that Bohn (and Benson & DiStephano) will do the right thing for CU and can Hawk. I'm just worried...

24. 92Buff

92Buff Well-Known Member

A win this week, my opinion doesn't change one bit about the coach. As mentioned above, any decisions need to be made on the entire body of work this season. WVU was a very good lesson that this administration hopefully learned from.

25. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

I believe that if you keep Hawkins after this season that you really have to extend him. You can write an extension that maintains a low buyout number or even reduces it. An extension makes it easier for us to recruit and the team to succeed, which we want. We just can't do one that makes it fiscally impossible to terminate Hawkins if a good 2010 turns out to be an anomaly.

26. sackman

I think Bohn is fully aware that his mistake wasn't in hiring Hawkins, it was in extending him. He's not going to make that mistake again. All this talk of an extension after a 9-win season is absurd. No way in Hell does that happen.

27. absinthe

absinthe Ambitious but rubbish. Club Member Junta Member

Sacky what about a 1 year ext with the buyout dropping to just hawk's salary?

28. sackman

Well, obviously it depends in large part what the terms of the extension are. If there's no buyout, or a very limited buyout, then there's little risk in doing it. But a situation like that doesn't exactly help in recruiting, so I don't see where it would be beneficial.

29. 92Buff

92Buff Well-Known Member

I would contend the same thing Sacky. An "artifical" extension with very favorable CU terms will be paraded out into the open and inject just about as much risk into recruiting as having no extension.

30. El Gringo

This is why not firing him last year was such a mistake. The Admin is totally hamstrung - (1) fire him despite his record (as unlikely as it seems, can you fire a coach after a 9 or 10 win season? NU did.), or (2) extend him.

Neither is very appealing. Bottom line: he should have been canned last year. Colorado politics once again craps all over CU Football...