What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Rewatched the OSU game

Hope the team works on short yardage on the bye week, those Q1 plays were terrible. The PI against Crawley was awful, definite game changer but at the end of the day we had our chance and didn't get it done. Team still hasn't learned the killer instinct to finish off games, with or without the lead.

Is the Pac12 officiating substantially worse than any other conference? I remember many complaints about BigXII officiating as well (at least one ISU game comes to mind).

I am fine with any scheme to improve officiating but I cringe at the "fire 'em all" stance. You can only fire people if you have a plan to replace them with better people. Suggesting that you can just go out and pluck new officials off the street and get something better than we have now is nuts.

There will always be complaints about officiating because they will never be perfect. That said the PAC officials seem to be consistently worse than other conferences and it isn't just against us, it is in games across the league.

And I am not advocating a fire them all stance. I am saying that the officials and their supervisors are paid very well to be accountable for their actions. Performance should be reviewed and those that don't measure up should be replaced. The one who consistently do an acceptable job should be kept and considered for promotion.

There will always be complaints about officiating because they will never be perfect. That said the PAC officials seem to be consistently worse than other conferences and it isn't just against us, it is in games across the league.

And I am not advocating a fire them all stance. I am saying that the officials and their supervisors are paid very well to be accountable for their actions. Performance should be reviewed and those that don't measure up should be replaced. The one who consistently do an acceptable job should be kept and considered for promotion.

It's like my rule for guys wanting to date my daughters. You shoot one of them and word gets around.

ok so is it possible to challenge a PI call? If so why didn't the coaches challenge either one?

You can only challenge illegal participation and illegal forward pass. Targeting is automatically reviewed. No other penalties are reviewable.

Here is what I think happened. The ref saw an arm extend from one player to the other, causing separation. KC made the interception. Then the ref thought for a couple of moments and his brain told him "CU intercepted a pass. I saw Crawley push off. OK, CU got an unfair advantage. I'd better call a penalty." The ref was about 30 yards away. What he saw was the receivers arm pushing Crawley away. The receiver was, reflexively, was pushing KC away from the ball. But he misjudged and pushed him toward the ball. The ref's mind played a trick on him.

On the Spruce play, from a distance, it looked like the defender was playing the ball. He was watching the ball come in, which is a kind of test for PI. it appeared he was playing the ball but what he did was pin Spruce's right arm down, leaving Spruce with only one hand to catch the ball. The ref didn't have the balls to call a "good defensive play" as PI. His mind played tricks on him too.

in other words, they saw what they wanted to see and didn't see what they didn't want to see. It boils down to poor training and poor skills which is what you get with part time officials.

Last edited:
Back