What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Rick George: AD Can't afford to send students to Pac-12 tournament

So if someone disagrees with your stance, it's the most objectionable thing ever?

Edit: The part with the MM buyout is a bit much, that I will agree with you on.
Well I also take issue with him saying that basketball only has the loyal fans and that football has none (I realize this is probably a bit to literal but whatever) and we should ignore the business side of the decision. I'm not going to keep going because Abs and others more than addressed it in more detail than I could.

I don't think Bohn lacked a vision so much and a sales pitch. If Rick George had same on-field results as Mike Bohn, he would've found it just as difficult. Instead, he benefits from following the worst period in CU football history.
Bohn absolutely lacked a vision. His vision was to be competitive, talk about a extremely vague goal. RG has been very specific in his vision and has it all laid out. Bohn had trouble with the big donors, and that's no secret. I like Bohn, and am forever grateful for doing the ABQ trip, but he had MAJOR shortcomings in certain areas, and it showed with the results.

Well I also take issue with him saying that basketball only has the loyal fans and that football has none (I realize this is probably a bit to literal but whatever) and we should ignore the business side of the decision. I'm not going to keep going because Abs and others more than addressed it in more detail than I could.
I wish there was a delete button on here. When I re-read his piece, it's clear he was over-the-top. And this isn't specifically directed at you, but it annoys me when there's the outrage just because someone else has a completely different POV.

Bohn absolutely lacked a vision. His vision was to be competitive, talk about a extremely vague goal. RG has been very specific in his vision and has it all laid out. Bohn had trouble with the big donors, and that's no secret. I like Bohn, and am forever grateful for doing the ABQ trip, but he had MAJOR shortcomings in certain areas, and it showed with the results.
Sorry I just don't agree with him lacking a vision, I think his major downfall was how bad football was. Again, his time was up because of that, it just shouldn't have been when it was. RG pretty much rebranded the facilities plan as others have pointed out. I believe Bohn would've been able to deliver here like RG had if it wasn't for football success (or lack of) JMO. Now I will give RG credit for his lofty goals. He's really putting himself out there and shooting for the top, but not being completely unrealistic at the same time(he didn't exactly say we'd be national champions anytime soon).

Since you were the beneficiary of the ABQ trip, do you think in retrospect it was a mistake?

Last edited by a moderator:
What trouble did Bohn have with big donors?

Sorry I just don't agree with him lacking a vision, I think his major downfall was how bad football was. Again, his time was up because of that, it just shouldn't have been when it was. RG pretty much rebranded the facilities plan as others have pointed out. I believe Bohn would've been able to deliver here like RG had if it wasn't for football success (or lack of) JMO. Now I will give RG credit for his lofty goals. He's really putting himself out there and shooting for the top, but not being completely unrealistic at the same time(he didn't exactly say we'd be national champions anytime soon).

Since you were the beneficiary of the ABQ trip, do you think in retrospect it was a mistake?
That's a tough one. I got my current job in large part because of the trip and I had a blast. Having said that, I do. This is a multi-million dollar business and needs to be treated as such, and that includes cutting costs in areas. When you have programs that are very under funded and are in the process of raising $50MM you need to cut some costs, and the bball trip is a expensive cost.

What trouble did Bohn have with big donors?
Paging George Solich...

That's a tough one. I got my current job in large part because of the trip and I had a blast. Having said that, I do. This is a multi-million dollar business and needs to be treated as such, and that includes cutting costs in areas. When you have programs that are very under funded and are in the process of raibysing $50MM you need to cut some costs, and the bball trip is a expensive cost.

Paging George Solich...
Dumbass. George was one of Bohn's biggest supporters. He wasnt happy when MB was let go.

That's a tough one. I got my current job in large part because of the trip and I had a blast. Having said that, I do. This is a multi-million dollar business and needs to be treated as such, and that includes cutting costs in areas. When you have programs that are very under funded and are in the process of raising $50MM you need to cut some costs, and the bball trip is a expensive cost.

Paging George Solich...
I don't have a problem with you taking advantage of what was offered to what every student could've qualified for. I just don't think the AD was in great shape two years ago so it was still a bad financial decision at the time on the surface. I do think like someone else said that this is a hard one to measure indirectly and they could benefit down the road.

I've already said this but the way I'm read RG's initial statement on this is it wasn't about the $50 million they are trying to raise for the facilities as much as not underfunding existing programs which don't make money (every sport not named football/men's basketball).

Even though I don't agree with RG's decision here, I do understand. And like anything else, there's a lot on the inside we don't know that he (and others in the AD) know.

Dumbass. George was one of Bohn's biggest supporters. He wasnt happy when MB was let go.
He did, atleast publicly.

Some have speculated that I was involved in Mike's firing. I assure you, if it was my decision, Mike would still be the AD.

He also did mention his shortcomings in this letter.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm talking about the Butch Jones episode
I'm confused here, you talked about Bohn having trouble with big donors, mention George Solich (which makes sense if true), and then say you are referring to the Butch Davis debacle. Can you explain this?

Not interested in ripping on Bohn, he did his best in a difficult atmosphere and made the decisions he thought necessary to move the AD forward. But it could easily be argued Solich had way too much stroke without ever writing that big check.

From phone

Not interested in ripping on Bohn, he did his best in a difficult atmosphere and made the decisions he thought necessary to move the AD forward. But it could easily be argued Solich had way too much stroke without ever writing that big check.

From phone

Yup

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From phone
Your biggest booster is always going to have a lot of influence, that's the last person you want pissed off. From the earlier discussion, the AD has to convince someone like Solich how to spend his money though.

Way late, but it might have been workable to get individual Boulder businesses to sponsor 1 or 2 kids each and have ability to advertise that (i.e. CU Bookstore - sign in the window, note in their ads.)

There are a lot of ways he could have done it. He has neither the time nor the personnel to pursue those options. He made a decision. I believe it to be a shortsighted decision, but he's payed to make those decisions. It also wouldn't look good to be running a $5MM deficit while spending money to treat a bunch of students to a weekend in Vegas. I get that.

I'm also wondering if the idea of using trade in the AD with existing sponsors was considered to make the trip possible while minimizing financial expenditure on it - Frontier is a sponsor of the CU AD and thus through trade, they may have been able to provide discounted or free airfares to the 50 students (or at minimum made discounted airfare available for students to purchase) - similarly, I'm not sure what kind of agreements the CU AD has with any hotel chains, but if they have a national hotel chain as a sponsor and that chain has a location in Vegas, they may have been able to arrange for free or discounted rooms for the students...

cubuffs85 is definitely the worst new poster since Orr.

83218-Forrest-Gump-is-he-smart-or-is-vkPh.gif

There are a lot of ways he could have done it. He has neither the time nor the personnel to pursue those options. He made a decision. I believe it to be a shortsighted decision, but he's payed to make those decisions. It also wouldn't look good to be running a $5MM deficit while spending money to treat a bunch of students to a weekend in Vegas. I get that.

this is the ultimate crux of it.

The budget for this year was set forth by Ceal Berry. Rick was brought in to get Football back on track and now that it appears the train has started moving he has come up for air and is observing the rest of the department. It was too late for him to alter the budget laid out by Ceal. I for one am not surprised that the trip involving student support for only the men's team was removed from the ledger.

The budget for this year was set forth by Ceal Berry. Rick was brought in to get Football back on track and now that it appears the train has started moving he has come up for air and is observing the rest of the department. It was too late for him to alter the budget laid out by Ceal. I for one am not surprised that the trip involving student support for only the men's team was removed from the ledger.
I'm not either given the change of leadership. Ceal also had the whole 10% cutback thing.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Rick George had no idea it had been cut until a C-Unit member asked him the question in November. Only to then realize Ceal had cut the trip and they now had no money for it. RG was so engrossed in raising donations for Football, he couldn't break away and ask for money for the C-Unit. I hope that this is only a one or two season hiatus though. Growing the donor base has been grossly overlooked in the past and needs to be a priority moving forward.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Rick George had no idea it had been cut until a C-Unit member asked him the question in November. Only to then realize Ceal had cut the trip and they now had no money for it. RG was so engrossed in raising donations for Football, he couldn't break away and ask for money for the C-Unit. I hope that this is only a one or two season hiatus though. Growing the donor base has been grossly overlooked in the past and needs to be a priority moving forward.
I wouldn't be surprised either if RG didn't know about the past two years of C-Unit going to the P12 Tourney/NCAA.

I hope I'm wrong but reading between the lines of his statements, I don't think it's coming back unless the AD is doing *much* better. I would hope they would work with C-Unit more next year to try to get them going to Vegas, even if they can't fully fund the trip.

All that said, the new boss can do as he sees fit.

Back