What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Rick George: AD Can't afford to send students to Pac-12 tournament

I wouldn't be surprised either if RG didn't know about the past two years of C-Unit going to the P12 Tourney/NCAA.

I hope I'm wrong but reading between the lines of his statements, I don't think it's coming back unless the AD is doing *much* better. I would hope they would work with C-Unit more next year to try to get them going to Vegas, even if they can't fully fund the trip.

All that said, the new boss can do as he sees fit.

I have a feeling that at least the cost to the Pac-12 tournament is one that the AD could and should eat. $34,000 is relatively small peanuts especially when you throw in private donors and possible corporate sponsorships that could pay for the trip a huge chunk of the trip. Hell if the C-Unit was able to work with the AD on some merchandise sales, they could probably cover the cost themselves. For example, a $30 T-shirt for sale at the home games. Half of the cost goes to send the C-Unit to Vegas. To cover that you need to sell 2,267 shirts. That is every member of the C-Unit with a shirt and boom top 50 get to go. Once the AD can turn there focus away from football, while the facilities are being upgraded I think we will see some things happen to allow at least the Vegas trip to continue to happen.

P.S. Just ran a quick price quote on 2000 shirts on an online screen printer. $5.58 a shirt. Probably could get them even cheaper if you went to T-Galaxy on the hill and let them put an ad on them somewhere. The AD could get a couple bucks per shirt and you could sell them for $30 and allow 50 students to go to Vegas and Seattle. It can be done fairly easily if the AD wants to make it happen.

Last edited:
I have a feeling that at least the cost to the Pac-12 tournament is one that the AD could and should eat. $34,000 is relatively small peanuts especially when you throw in private donors and possible corporate sponsorships that could pay for the trip a huge chunk of the trip. Hell if the C-Unit was able to work with the AD on some merchandise sales, they could probably cover the cost themselves. For example, a $30 T-shirt for sale at the home games. Half of the cost goes to send the C-Unit to Vegas. To cover that you need to sell 2,267 shirts. That is every member of the C-Unit with a shirt and boom top 50 get to go. Once the AD can turn there focus away from football, while the facilities are being upgraded I think we will see some things happen to allow at least the Vegas trip to continue to happen.
You're preaching to the choir here. I have no idea if winning the Pac-12 title in 2012 was due to C-Unit being there, but if it was, it was $25-50k (however much it cost) well spent.

RG has different priorities than Bohn though. I don't think the two are mutually exclusive between building $50 million of facilities and having a trip that costs ~$50k.

And you don't know who it is, but you know it's not Solich, OK then...

I can confirm Solich hasn't consistently been our top donor year-to-year. Not giving names, if those people wanted to make it public info they would have.

BTW Solich recently invested in another oil start-up with the goal of selling in 4-7 years. So if our facilities includes money from him, it isn't likely to be a large sum

BTW Solich recently invested in another oil start-up with the goal of selling in 4-7 years. So if our facilities includes money from him, it isn't likely to be a large sum

****. I gotta slip him my resume.

I don't expect CU to give away a free trip, but they should arrange a trip and offer it to students at a reasonable price. On the Albuquerque trip we did pay $50 dollars presumably to offset some of the cost and I'm sure everyone would have been willing to pay more. Charge maybe $200-$300, high enough to pay for a large chunk of costs but low enough where its still a reasonable price for students. Plenty of people would pay that for basketball and a few days in Vegas. The benefit of being with a group and having everything arranged for you is also very appealing as opposed to you and a friends just trying to set up a trip on your own. The AD can then subsidize whatever costs are remaining.

Frankly I can't imagine it "that" expensive in the first place. We have pre-existing partnerships with airlines and hotels, as with anything you get discounts from "buying in bulk" or in this case patronizing these business with a large group, and the school gets tickets for free.

I don't expect CU to give away a free trip, but they should arrange a trip and offer it to students at a reasonable price. On the Albuquerque trip we did pay $50 dollars presumably to offset some of the cost and I'm sure everyone would have been willing to pay more. Charge maybe $200-$300, high enough to pay for a large chunk of costs but low enough where its still a reasonable price for students. Plenty of people would pay that for basketball and a few days in Vegas. The benefit of being with a group and having everything arranged for you is also very appealing as opposed to you and a friends just trying to set up a trip on your own. The AD can then subsidize whatever costs are remaining.

Frankly I can't imagine it "that" expensive in the first place. We have pre-existing partnerships with airlines and hotels, as with anything you get discounts from "buying in bulk" or in this case patronizing these business with a large group, and the school gets tickets for free.

You do realize that a strip of tickets for all of the games comes to about $360 alone right? Or would you charge the $200-$300 beyond the price of the tickets?

You do realize that a strip of tickets for all of the games comes to about $360 alone right? Or would you charge the $200-$300 beyond the price of the tickets?

Each school is allotted 400 tickets. Giving away 50 to students may have already cost the AD $18k in revenue.

Each school is allotted 400 tickets. Giving away 50 to students may have already cost the AD $18k in revenue.

Understand and they could give those tix to the students or they could give them away to donnors and their families who want to attend. Either way, it is a cost and charging students $200-$300 for a trip that is going to cost well over $1000 per person (and at least $50K at a minimum for 50 students to attend) just is not a great way to spend dollars when you are looking to right the AD ship and secure the donations for the strategic plan and vision that has been laid out.

Now the AD might have been wise to work with the CUnit leadership to start a CUnit campaign on their own to fund this annual trip. It might be something that they could plan for moving ahead since they did not get it done this year. It could be a partnership with local businesses or travel companies to get these types of specific donations set up, but to divert existing, current AD resources to support this program does not make a ton of sense.

Not much. Most of my friends that go to school in California have that week off.

It might vary, but I think CU's spring break is supposed to match up with the public school schedule across the state(high school's, etc.) There might be some legislation at work that would make it pretty complicated.

It might vary, but I think CU's spring break is supposed to match up with the public school schedule across the state(high school's, etc.) There might be some legislation at work that would make it pretty complicated.
CSU and UNC have their break a week before ours for what it's worth.

CSU and UNC have their break a week before ours for what it's worth.

I know, but they don't count really. I don't know what the reasoning is behind it, but it's always been an issue. My sister was at CU in the early 90's and they were bitching about it then. I figure if there was an easy fix they would've gone that route by now.

I know, but they don't count really. I don't know what the reasoning is behind it, but it's always been an issue. My sister was at CU in the early 90's and they were bitching about it then. I figure if there was an easy fix they would've gone that route by now.
I thought we were talking about public schools so I put CSU and UNC in there but my brother at columbine has the same break as I do at CU. Who knows. I can't imagine CU having to abide by some weird rules when two other public universities don't have to.

I thought we were talking about public schools so I put CSU and UNC in there but my brother at columbine has the same break as I do at CU. Who knows. I can't imagine CU having to abide by some weird rules when two other public universities don't have to.

It's probably part of a schedule that ensures that not everybody's going on vacation at the same time, which can be a problem.

Ha thanks Nik, don't think they'll be hiring me anytime soon. But my point is if someone wants to give $$$, I'm taking it, not asking too many questions, and thanking them, hoping they'll donate again in the future.

Not the case. If you are donating 4 and 5 figure money, someone from the AD will likely be reaching out to you and establishing personal relationship. You might be asked to make a five year commitment to donate $X dollars.

So, Mr cubuffs85, would you consider committing to pledge $5,000 over the next five years? If that number doesn't work, tell us what your number is. Make a commitment to us with something comfortable. We can arrange simple automatic payroll deposits to help spread out the amount over time.

The AD has been transparent. We know what number they need (~$15M) and we know when they need it. (April 6th). Now the RG AD is asking fans who care about the success of the program to step up and do our fair share.

Not the case. If you are donating 4 and 5 figure money, someone from the AD will likely be reaching out to you and establishing personal relationship. You might be asked to make a five year commitment to donate $X dollars.

So, Mr cubuffs85, would you consider committing to pledge $5,000 over the next five years? If that number doesn't work, tell us what your number is. Make a commitment to us with something comfortable. We can arrange simple automatic payroll deposits to help spread out the amount over time.

The AD has been transparent. We know what number they need (~$15M) and we know when they need it. (April 6th). Now the RG AD is asking fans who care about the success of the program to step up and do our fair share.

This is spot on and how they are approaching it.

I'm surprised the AD hasn't called me about a donation yet. Any other previous donors not get contacted?

You'll probably get a call when they aggressively enter the public phase. Maybe coinciding with the release of the new renderings? Focus has been on bigger money.

From phone

In defense of RG, isn't this the reason we brought him on as AD? I would rather focus all of our attention on new football facilities than sending students to the Pac-12 tournament.

this is exactly how it goes down, I was approached about turning a 1 year number into a smaller multi-year number last year and again this year.

Relevant: VCU fans have organized a trip for VCU students from Richmond to Brooklyn for the A10 Tournament - the fans raised nearly $9,000 in less than 24 hours, and this supports the cost of 56 students...

http://www.vcuramnation.com/2014/03...0-hours-to-send-vcu-students-to-a-10-tourney/

$8,000 needed to bus and shelter 56 VCU students for the entirety of this year’s tournament.

That's $143 per person for busing students and to stay Brooklyn. They must be sleeping in tents in NY.

Back