1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rick George's Gameday Improvements

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by tsarbomba, Sep 14, 2014.

1. tsarbomba

tsarbomba One Damn Dirty Ape Club Member

Rich has mentioned a number of efforts to increase the game day level of enjoyment that we CU fans get out of a game in Folsom.

I would like to rate these (at least as far as my personal experiences):

Ingress/Exit: 9/10. Getting in for me was super easy and convenient, and everyone was police and seemed to want me to have a good game experience.

Food: 9/10. The food was better. Had a BBQ pulled pork sandwich that was one of the best that I have had in month, and some kind of taco that my girlfriend got that was pretty good. Either was much better than last years craptacular. Also, got a frozen chocolate dipped piece of cheesecake on a stick. Exactly what it sounds like, and fantastic

Beer Garden 6/10. Great concept, and good execution, but as a Coloradan, I expect more selection of Colorado beers, possibly bringing in particular breweries to pour their own stuff from sat to sat. At least they offered a New Belgium beer, but there are so man other choices offered in this state, so in the end, yea, cool that beer is there, and cool that it includes Fat Tire, but please, get us something else.

Areas around beer gardens: 100+/10. The rating could not get higher. Two big-screen TVS inside Balsh so that we could follow two other games, and then the giganto-tron above the outdoor beer garden showing (while I was there) South Carolina/Georgia. Letting us watch good games while awaiting the arrival of CU football is an act or sheer genius.

Mr. George, in my very small sample, your efforts came out on top and much appreciated.

2. OUBuff

OUBuff American Club Member

Pretty sure the entire selection consisted of "Colorado" beer.

3. Uncle Ken

Uncle Ken Orr no morr Club Member

Hey Jarhead. "More".

4. DBT

DBT Club Member Club Member

Daughter bought some cheese nachos. The cheese was ice cold. Yuck.

They need more beer gardens because the 2 they had were so jam packed it took forever to get in and then they ran out of draft beer. But then, I don't drink. But the people I was with did and had to settle for canned beer. They could also do a better job cleaning up the beer garden. Beer cups everywhere and the trash cans over flowed. Really trashy.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2014
  5. OUBuff

OUBuff American Club Member

How can you have more than all... squidly

6. DBT

Really, really, really, really, REALLY need to improve the sound system. You could not hear ****.

7. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

I believe that the IPF is supposed to be used as a Beer Garden and sponsored tailgate area next year.

8. b3buffs

b3buffs Club Member Club Member

You didn't like the upgrade from Kmart to Wal-Mart?

9. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

The in game app was, as I feared, a complete wreck. No WiFi in the stadium. Error messages. "Connection" issues. The idea is very solid, and they will get better, but this was a worthless app on my phone last night.

10. Eggon

Eggon Club Member Club Member

Beer garden areas will improve. These early boundaries likely will be expanded as school performs well in eyes of City of B. Also, box areas go live next year. And yes IPF (at minimum) on East side Next year. Beer will improve with time.

Sound system a must, and have heard rumblings upgrade is on deck.

Fix the big screen issues. That is a black eye as well as a blackout.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2014
  11. onealcd

onealcd Club Member Club Member

it was so weird with the TVs inside because you could hear the announcer call the play and there was a 5-8 second delay

12. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

I really thought the food was a big upgrade last night. I had a prime rib sandwich that was good. And the pretzel I got was money.

Pieces to the puzzle.

13. tsarbomba

tsarbomba One Damn Dirty Ape Club Member

Agreed, Levy Restaurants is definitely an upgrade. One of the places inside Balsh sold cheesecake on a stick that was really, really good.

14. DBT

I missed out on the Blue Light Special BECAUSE I COULDN'T HEAR!!

15. DBT

**** the beer gardens. Just sell beer in the stadium and be done with it. Last night was cold and Balch was warm. So, I'd bet 1,500 or more fans migrated there and out of the stadium. Sell it in the stadium so people can stay in there seats. Maybe have designated beer sections or something. Like the northeast stands. Offer beer there and I'd bet they'd sell out in a New York second.

16. Buffenuf

Buffenuf massive tool

1+ Gotta stop acting as if the students who attend a Top 10 party school need to be protected from the "evils of alcohol!"

Boulder and environs ain't River City!

17. Lukeasaurus

Lukeasaurus Well-Known Member

How was the DJ for anyone who went? Was it cool or kind of a dud, or could you even tell he was there.

18. DBT

Dunno. Couldn't hear him because OF THE CRAPPY SOUND SYSTEM!!!

DiggerBuffs likes this.
  19. alec10burks

alec10burks Member

All restricting beer sales does is increase hard liquor consumption anyways.

20. goalline

goalline Club Member Club Member

Did you check your hearing aids?

I know, too easy, but I couldn't resist.

21. Shldr2Shldr

Shldr2Shldr Club Member Club Member

No difference. He plays music when they typically would play canned music. Maybe more recent music though.

Gameday experience was leaps and bounds ahead of last year. Rick George really gets it. From the tailgating 6hrs all the way down to the minor detail of the new black helmets. Top notch from the AD.

The team play didn't hurt either.

22. sliderNcider

sliderNcider MacLovin Club Member

anyone take advantage of the additional 2 hours of tailgating?

23. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

I actually think the beer garden is a better option than selling it in the stands. Not because of safety concerns (that's the bad excuse that was the origin of the beer ban in the first place), but because it ads a different feel to the atmosphere. With the IPF and the party deck, there will be plenty of spots to enjoy a beer next year.

And yeah, RG gets it.

24. Shldr2Shldr

Shldr2Shldr Club Member Club Member

We got to our spots at 2. Didn't really start doing anything until 3:30 though. Lots in the public parking lots had the grills fired up at 2 though. The 6hrs was taken advantage of by lots of people.

25. DBT

Disagree. I'd say the beer gardens are great for pre-game. But are over crowded and draw people away from the game during the game.

26. BeBe

BeBe Club Member Club Member

Let me tell you the air on campus yesterday afternoon smelled delicious!! I walked around a bit around 4:00 before heading to Coors for the volleyball and I was getting hungry from all the good smells in the air. So there had to be a bunch of folks who had started up their grills early.

27. whatthebuff

whatthebuff Club Member Club Member

I love the huge screen outside, it really adds to the atmosphere. Saw the inevitable long line for beer and passed on waiting. If they get the lines manageable though, that's going to be a fun spot to hang out.

28. CarolinaBuff

CarolinaBuff Weekend Poster Club Member

But as DBT noted, it's a great place to hang out - BEFORE the game. But during the game it draws people away from the seats. It's ridiculous to have an area which is the only place you can drink and then people hang out there and watch the game on a big screen instead. While they're actually at the game.

29. patebuff

patebuff Downgraded to half a star Club Member

Completely forgot about the DJ. Didn't even notice him there

30. sopranobuff

sopranobuff New Member

I heard that once the renovation is complete, the Northeast stands are supposed to be full-service (kind of like the Rockies Club Level where they take your order and bring you food). Truth?