What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Ridiculous Olympic Sports You Love/Hate

KDVR DONE ****ED UP HAHA

someone caught this before it was quickly deleted

AzL52_PCMAAbj5W.jpg:large

In all seriousness, I believe that they can choose any tune from the Fiddler on the Roof songbook. :wink2:

In all seriousness, I believe that they can choose any tune from the Fiddler on the Roof songbook. :wink2:
i mean its not like they are wrong ... i certainly was thinking it hahaha you just cant say it as a news outlet

How the **** can any aquestrian event even be in the Olympics? I know the historical context of horsemanship, but seriously. Who is expelling the majority of the effort? To me this is the equivalent of adding stock car racing.

Can we just eliminate badminton now.

How can you justify a sport where multiple teams try to lose to improve their standing.

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2012/08/01/8-badminton-players-expelled-from-olympic-doubles/

Same thing when teams tank to get a better draft pick in the NFL or NBA. Or how about the Houston Astros who are completely gutting their roster? Should we dq a NFL team that has no intention of winning in Week 17 because a loss gives them a better matchup in the first playoff round?

If the system rewards you for losing you should not be surprised if someone tries to take advantage of it.

It´s not a badminton problem. It´s possible in any sport.

Same thing when teams tank to get a better draft pick in the NFL or NBA. Or how about the Houston Astros who are completely gutting their roster? Should we dq a NFL team that has no intention of winning in Week 17 because a loss gives them a better matchup in the first playoff round?

If the system rewards you for losing you should not be surprised if someone tries to take advantage of it.

This is the exact reason the NBA has a draft lottery.

This is the exact reason the NBA has a draft lottery.

And yet teams still tank to get a better shot. Any sport with a draft rewards you for losing.

This is possible in any sport with a group stage followed by knockout rounds. You´re opening pandora´s box here.

Should we start DQing track athletes and swimmers who don´t give 100% in the heats?

The difference is a team like the Astros are one of the worst teams in baseball and were picked by many before the season began to finish last. Of course they are gutting the roster, they are in full rebuild mode trading away any decent players because they need way more help than what a few players can provide. Also, the MLB draft is the biggest hit or miss draft out of any professional sport. Having the first pick does not guarantee success.

Rarely do you see an NFL team lose in the final week to get a better playoff seed. Usually the seed is set win or lose and the team rests key players to heal injuries or prevent them. But they don't make a conscious effort to lose the game.

NBA lottery helps eliminate teams from tanking by providing no guarantee for the first pick.

Olympic swimming and the other time trial events take care of the problem of effort by requiring you to post faster times than others to even qualify for the final 8. Anyone that did not put the effort into the qualifying races will not even compete in the finals.

The difference is a team like the Astros are one of the worst teams in baseball and were picked by many before the season began to finish last. Of course they are gutting the roster, they are in full rebuild mode trading away any decent players because they need way more help than what a few players can provide. Also, the MLB draft is the biggest hit or miss draft out of any professional sport. Having the first pick does not guarantee success.

Rarely do you see an NFL team lose in the final week to get a better playoff seed. Usually the seed is set win or lose and the team rests key players to heal injuries or prevent them. But they don't make a conscious effort to lose the game.

NBA lottery helps eliminate teams from tanking by providing no guarantee for the first pick.

Olympic swimming and the other time trial events take care of the problem of effort by requiring you to post faster times than others to even qualify for the final 8. Anyone that did not put the effort into the qualifying races will not even compete in the finals.

Yep, and how many times have people been disqualified from the Olympics for not trying to win? I´d say rarely is an appropriate word here.

By saying it rarely happens you concede that it does happen. Should NFL teams who lose in W17 to get a better matchup be disqualified? Does it discredit the respectability of the NFL as a sports league and the sport of football in general that such a scenario is possible under the current rules and has probably happened (whether it was blatantly obvious or not is irrelevant)?

Whether the MLB Draft is hit or miss is pretty much irrelevant here also, btw. If teams tank they do it because they figure it´s gonna benefit them in the future. Same thing happened here with the badminton players. They tried to throw a game to get an easier draw (= benefit in the future). Whether a higher pick in the draft or another opponent is indeed an advantage remains to be seen, but they both did it for the very same reason - lose now to gain what you see as an advantage in the future.

You can condemn the act - I do, too - but trying to say the sport should be punished is ridiculous and it´s possible in every league or competition in any sport that has a round robin system followed by playoffs.

if they are going to have horse dancing or whatever it is called, they need to have dog Frisbee too.

I don't bother to watch a lot of the Olympics for a lot of the reasons listed by others here.

The political end of the whole thing is a joke. A bunch of "sports" included because countries that would get their butts kicked in real sports can win some medals in them. Other sports that are real sports, played in multiple countries in the world excluded because certain countries (like the US) would dominate in them and the whiney little crybabies wouldn't get their medals

Then you have the aspect of people getting all excited about being the "best in the world." What difference does that make when you are the best at a sport that is either so obscure that there are only 400 people in the entire world who do it or a sport that is so ridiculously expensive that only the super rich or super subsidized can participate.

Just as ridiculous are the countries who use the Olympics for a grand political statement of their national value or the value of their systems. This results in countries like China taking little kids away from their parents and putting them in "sports schools" to force develop them then comparing them to athletes from some countries where there is little to no governmental or corporate support and the athlete does it all on their own work and desire. Just as bad is the sponsorship thing where they try to make certain athletes into almost god figures to sell burgers and tampons then quickly go under the radar when the athlete loses.

Saving the worst for last, I have no time, summer or winter games, for anything where the winner is picked by the French judge, the Turkish judge, and the Korean judge. Take all the gymnastics, everything that has an "artistic impression" score, everything where a score is influenced by what someone saw in a prior performance, where the "costume" can influence the scoring based on appearance, etc. and throw it out the window. Give me events where the fastest or the highest win, were scoring is done based on performing a quantifiable skill not on how some judge thought it looked compared to how the others looked and some wishy washy standard.

Why is the Olympics so special one every four years and then nobody gives a rats tail about most of the events for another four years. It is all a huge bunch of hype, lets get it over with and get back to real sports again.

Last edited:
Hate: Dressage, Synchronized Swimming, Rhythm Gymnastics

I love fencing, particularly women's saber. Those ladies are INTENSE!

[video=youtube;SSA5H976dj8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSA5H976dj8[/video]

The women scream a lot. Skip to about 1:30.

I also enjoy men's epee and archery (two things I've done before so I can actually watch critically). I also really like the throwing events. You almost never get to see them and it's just really badass to see someone throw a javelin (or any other object really) close to 100 meters.

I realize there's a lot of stupid politics involved but there's still something really cool about the Olympics and everyone coming together. I know it sounds pretty quixotic but I really like the idea of it and I'm glad that it happens every four years.

That was weird. I guess to challenge, you have to pay the judges. If you win the challenge, you get your money back. Bizarre rule.

That was weird. I guess to challenge, you have to pay the judges. If you win the challenge, you get your money back. Bizarre rule.

Weird that you have to give them cash at the time you challenge (rather than pay later if you lose), but otherwise a solid rule. If you really think the judges effed up, put your money where your mouth is.

Hate: Dressage, Synchronized Swimming, Rhythm Gymnastics

I love fencing, particularly women's saber. Those ladies are INTENSE!

[video=youtube;SSA5H976dj8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSA5H976dj8[/video]

The women scream a lot. Skip to about 1:30.

I also enjoy men's epee and archery (two things I've done before so I can actually watch critically). I also really like the throwing events. You almost never get to see them and it's just really badass to see someone throw a javelin (or any other object really) close to 100 meters.

I realize there's a lot of stupid politics involved but there's still something really cool about the Olympics and everyone coming together. I know it sounds pretty quixotic but I really like the idea of it and I'm glad that it happens every four years.

Guarantee that this youtube is on heavy rotation on John Henderson's playlist.

[Barry Larkin:]
What I'm gonna do now is play a tape for you. And you tell me if these people are havin' sex..

[Jon Henderson:]
Yeah?

See how he says yeah? Or working out in a fitness center.

Uh huh

I'm pressing play...Now.

{Moans and screams}

And what do you think?

Uh, that was two gay women having sex.

No those were women in a fencing competition.

Sounded like two gay women having sex.

Well no sir, you are dead wrong.

Alright.

Thanks for stopping by. Wow, interesting. Two women, on tape, fencing,
in an olympic competition. And this Jon Henderson hears gay sex. Which leads me to
the conclusion that this Jon Henderson is either gay himself or not straight. Moving
along.

The term "real sport" is ridiculous. I´d love you to say this to someone´s face who you think doesn´t compete in a sport that passes your test of being a "real" one.

The term "real sport" is ridiculous. I´d love you to say this to someone´s face who you think doesn´t compete in a sport that passes your test of being a "real" one.

why half the **** in the olympics is more or less a hobby. My buddy used to try and bust my balls all the time by saying that skating boarding and snowboarding is not a sport, but I agree with him. here is the definition from wikipedia:

Sport (or, in the United States, sports) is all forms of competitive physical activity which,[1] through casual or organised participation, aim to use, maintain or improve physical fitness and provide entertainment to participants.[2] Hundreds of sports exist, from those requiring only two participants, through to those with hundreds of simultaneous participants, either in teams or competing as individuals.

So basically anything out doors can be sports as long as it is competitive and physical so pool and foosball can be sports, do you think those are real "sports"

edit: sorry I shouldn't say sports are only outdoors. that is absolutely incorrect.

Last edited:
why half the **** in the olympics is more or less a hobby. My buddy used to try and bust my balls all the time by saying that skating boarding and snowboarding is not a sport, but I agree with him. here is the definition from wikipedia:

So basically anything out doors can be sports as long as it is competitive and physical so pool and foosball can be sports, do you think those are real "sports"

We need to get baseketball into the 2016 games.

Half of these things would no more qualify as a sport than playing a game of Candyland or Hungry Hungry Hippos against someone....just because the Olympics adds the layer of competition doesn't make it a sport

Let's take Air Rifle....Guy stands there, aims at a target, pulls the trigger and a computer indicates where his aim was and assigns a score.....Sounds awfully close to a game of Nintendo Duck Hunt to me....which if qualifies as a sport I must be one hell of an athlete!! :woot:

I'm waiting on Tecmo Bowl to become an olypmic sport. I may be a 35 year who recently had to drill an extra hole in his belt, but I can still be an Olypmic athlete dammit.

I believe it´s incredibly arrogant and condescending for Average Joe to judge whether something is a "real" sport or not and I´d invite you to tell that to someone´s face who competes and dedicates years of his life to something you don´t think is a "real" sport, just because it doesn´t generate revenue/doesn´t get media hype/don´t like it or for some other bull**** reason you might have.

Allbuffs debate requires physical skill (keyboard skilllzzz!) and competitiveness. SPORT

I believe it´s incredibly arrogant and condescending for Average Joe to judge whether something is a "real" sport or not and I´d invite you to tell that to someone´s face who competes and dedicates years of his life to something you don´t think is a "real" sport, just because it doesn´t generate revenue/doesn´t get media hype/don´t like it or for some other bull**** reason you might have.

Settle down cupcake soccer is a sport. There. Feel better?

Maybe we should hold some Allbuffs Olympics at Sackygate this year?

Back