What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Ringo: Baseball doesn't make sense at CU

This is crappy article by Ringo. There's no data to drive his assertion that CU can't afford it. Let's assume that conservative estimates around Pac 12 money are accurate, and that CU is going to get $25M/year from the Pac 12 contract, including P12 network fees. CU ran in the black for the last year in the B12, right? The payout from those guys that year was like $10M/year, right? So, where does that $15M/year go under Ringo's assumptions here if not to sports like baseball (or baseball/softball)? A baseball and softball team certainly wouldn't cost more than that, right?

Right now, we can't afford it.

With other things building so that MBB starts bringing in several million in profit and football revenue grows as we get back to being a top program... plus I think a lot of other other sports succeeding will get them closer to break-even while spurring donations from their few but passionate fans... then I can see our AD budget growing to the point where baseball/softball is affordable.

But I don't want to do it just to do it. I'd want to see us go first class and put us in position to compete for championships if we're going to add any sports. For baseball/softball, that means indoor training facilities, a stadium complex and large recruiting & travel budgets. Maybe we could be the first program to make a commitment to recruiting Japan? To make it happen at CU, we need resources and we need to think outside the box a bit.

In the end, the best way to make everything happen is to do everything we can to get our football and MBB houses in order since those drive revenues, donations, community interest and our ability to fund other sports.

I keep wondering why Northern Colorado still has a baseball team at this point even though their main conference doesn't sponsor the sport.

I see you are going for specific personal details again. When in doubt and on shallow ground while feeling vulnerable on an issue, attack the other party. You would make a good candidate for office.

You mean like 10 consecutive posts accusing the other person of using a strawman, when it never happened? :lol:

One way that baseball could work would be if we could find a way to partner with the Rockies. If they had an interest in putting a minor league affiliate in Boulder, we could share facilities.

Lots of college football teams share facilities with pro teams. Why not baseball?

One way that baseball could work would be if we could find a way to partner with the Rockies. If they had an interest in putting a minor league affiliate in Boulder, we could share facilities.

Lots of college football teams share facilities with pro teams. Why not baseball?

That's an excellent thought. Oregon does it, and their facility is beautiful.

I doubt the city would let it fly, but I'd love to try. Two baseball teams? I may not like math, but even I can understand that two is better than one. We could call them the "Boulder Bison," or something equally as quaint.

So you're saying that you don't think CU has the resources to be competitive with DU?

In hockey and lacrosse? Not in the near term, certainly. We have the resources to compete over time, though. But we also have the resources to compete over time in baseball.

Putting together a baseball program wouldn't be the most difficult thing to do. If I were Bohn, I'd go back to John Stearns and see if he's still willing to head up a fundraising effort to raise the capital needed for the facilities and to fund an endowment to pay for coaches salaries and scholarships. If he is, great. If not, then table it. I'm firm in the belief that we're going to want a baseball program at some point. The sooner we do it, the faster we'll get to a point of being competitive.

We should just play the games in folsom. Put home plate in the South end of the stadium under the COLORADO, and have a 500 ft center field wall (Dal Ward), and 150 foot walls in left and right. That would be exciting.

If you think I haven't dreamed of that exact set-up, you're kidding yourself. Bat-**** insane, but I'd pay to see it.

Not likely to happen. The only pro leagues anywhere remotely in the area are AAA or Rookie ball. They would either have to pull out of the Springs or GJ, both of which have existing facilities. And they just installed a humidor in the Springs. Plus, the travel in the Pioneer League is horrendous already - it was from Casper and will be from GJ. From Boulder it is much worse.

There are just no A or AA teams anywhere in the area to make them look at moving Modesto, Ashville or Tulsa to Boulder.

This is a complete pipe dream, but wouldn't it be cool to have a front range independent league? Kind of like the Cape Cod league and the Northern league? Those games are awesome. How cool would it be to have an independent league with teams in Pueblo, Castle Rock, Golden, Boulder, Aurora, Loveland, Greeley & Ft. Collins?

If you've ever been to a Cape Cod League or Northern League game, you know how much fun they are. Pure baseball. That's good stuff. I'd love to see it here.

would it cost the Monforts any money? then it probably won't happen.

Not likely to happen. The only pro leagues anywhere remotely in the area are AAA or Rookie ball. They would either have to pull out of the Springs or GJ, both of which have existing facilities. And they just installed a humidor in the Springs. Plus, the travel in the Pioneer League is horrendous already - it was from Casper and will be from GJ. From Boulder it is much worse.

There are just no A or AA teams anywhere in the area to make them look at moving Modesto, Ashville or Tulsa to Boulder.

AA ball is the kind we would want to get, that is where they typically send the hot prospects. Would be good for the Rockies to have both AA and AAA ball farm teams near by.

This is a complete pipe dream, but wouldn't it be cool to have a front range independent league? Kind of like the Cape Cod league and the Northern league? Those games are awesome. How cool would it be to have an independent league with teams in Pueblo, Castle Rock, Golden, Boulder, Aurora, Loveland, Greeley & Ft. Collins?

If you've ever been to a Cape Cod League or Northern League game, you know how much fun they are. Pure baseball. That's good stuff. I'd love to see it here.

Love that idea. If they do that in Boulder, we could get CU baseball. I think the only way CU gets baseball in the future is if a minor league team sets up shop in Boulder.

In hockey and lacrosse? Not in the near term, certainly. We have the resources to compete over time, though. But we also have the resources to compete over time in baseball.

Putting together a baseball program wouldn't be the most difficult thing to do. If I were Bohn, I'd go back to John Stearns and see if he's still willing to head up a fundraising effort to raise the capital needed for the facilities and to fund an endowment to pay for coaches salaries and scholarships. If he is, great. If not, then table it. I'm firm in the belief that we're going to want a baseball program at some point. The sooner we do it, the faster we'll get to a point of being competitive.

Comparing DU (or any other top lacrosse program) to the top baseball programs in the PAC is like comparing apples to oranges. I wouldn't be shocked if UCLA, USC, and the Arizona schools don't spend more money on shoes and unis than DU or Johns Hopkins spends on lacrosse.

Having a competitve baseball team would be a very expensive proposition.

When the football team is winning 9+games a year come talk to me about baseball. Unfortunately Irv will be dead by then.

AA ball is the kind we would want to get, that is where they typically send the hot prospects. Would be good for the Rockies to have both AA and AAA ball farm teams near by.

AA would be awesome. Since the Springs, and the PCL in general, are ridiculously offensively oriented, lots of teams are developing players in AA and moving them almost directly to MLB. Unfortunately, the closest league is the Texas league, and if they moved the Tulsa team to Colorado the closest team would probably be in Arkansas.

Aren't the Rockies starting a farm club in Grand Junction next year? I was on a tour of Mesa recently and I could have sworn it was mentioned.

Aren't the Rockies starting a farm club in Grand Junction next year? I was on a tour of Mesa recently and I could have sworn it was mentioned.

This year. They moved the Casper Ghosts there.

product_thumb.php

Don't worry guys. After I win this Mega Millions jackpot, we'll be well on our way to a new retractable dome stadium for the baseball team.

No to baseball. I'd rather have gold plated faucets and teak seats at Folsom before I saw the AD tear up money on a baseball team.

Disagree with comments that CU wouldn't be competitive fairly soon in men's Lacrosse. CU appeals to the demographic that plays the sport on the east and west coasts and could recruit very well. Same with soccer. Further, both are fast games where the altitude provides a built-in advantage that would be wasted on a slow as molassas game like baseball.

This year. They moved the Casper Ghosts there.

product_thumb.php

Not a bad lookin hat. AND it makes my Casper Ghosts hat Retro.

Don't worry guys. After I win this Mega Millions jackpot, we'll be well on our way to a new retractable dome stadium for the baseball team.

I spent 3 hours of my 13 hour drive from Arizona yesterday talking about what I would do if I won MegaMillions and this was one thing i said lol. Basically the conversation ended with my name being on a **** ton of brand new facilities on campus haha.

I've said before I'd like to see rugby added, but here is something I didn't mention.

Since football is obviously king, and rugby is the sport with the most similar athletes and skill set, why not start a rugby team and have it work with the football team? I see them working together in a couple different ways:

-Give Embree control over 5 scholarships on the rugby team. He could use them to help recruit a star player (offer that player's friend, brother, teammate, etc. in rugby instead of only offering a walk on spot in football) or on a kid who he thinks could really develop after getting in the strength and conditioning program.

-Rugby players who develop late physically may move over to football. See: Thretton Palamo at Utah

-Most Polynesian kids grow up with rugby. There were quite a few Samoan NFL guys at the Vegas 7s this year, including none other than Troy Polamalu. A varsity rugby team at CU would likely have quite a few Polynesian kids on it. We seem to be heavily recruiting Polynesian kids with Tui and Cabral so having more of them around Boulder would definitely make Polynesian recruits feel more at home and comfortable.

I don't think it would be in a team's best interests to develop their prospects at altitude.

I've said before I'd like to see rugby added, but here is something I didn't mention.

Since football is obviously king, and rugby is the sport with the most similar athletes and skill set, why not start a rugby team and have it work with the football team? I see them working together in a couple different ways:

-Give Embree control over 5 scholarships on the rugby team. He could use them to help recruit a star player (offer that player's friend, brother, teammate, etc. in rugby instead of only offering a walk on spot in football) or on a kid who he thinks could really develop after getting in the strength and conditioning program.

-Rugby players who develop late physically may move over to football. See: Thretton Palamo at Utah

-Most Polynesian kids grow up with rugby. There were quite a few Samoan NFL guys at the Vegas 7s this year, including none other than Troy Polamalu. A varsity rugby team at CU would likely have quite a few Polynesian kids on it. We seem to be heavily recruiting Polynesian kids with Tui and Cabral so having more of them around Boulder would definitely make Polynesian recruits feel more at home and comfortable.

Your first two points, if anyone could prove them to be intentional would likely be NCAA violations.

With that your third point could truly turn out to help the football team. If a kid who is a rugby player from the islands happens to have a younger brother or cousin who hears how great Boulder is from him and gives the FB coaches more of a listen that is perfectly legal. The addition of a number of Polynesians to the campus for rugby could contribute to FB recruits and players feeling more comfortable, again perfectly legal.

Aside from all this I think rugby makes sense from a standpoint of being relatively inexpensive, not requiring significant facilities expenditures compared to some other sports, and I think CU could be very competitive in the sport in a fairly short time.

Football trumps other sports for scholarships. If an individual is a varsity athlete in both football and baseball, for instance, his scholarship always counts against football. Otherwise, every program in the nation would have well over 100 scholarship guys in their football programs. Many would get stashed in T&F.

Back