What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Ringo: CU Buffs officials face difficult decision on Jon Embree

so the known buyouts are are roughly 1.2 million is the remianing salaries staff for this year 1mm? if so i could see kyle getting to that number. Although it wouldnt be an honest one.

Firstly, there are an ass ton of assumptions here.

Some of you are presuming that no contract absolutely equals no payout. In the real world where these types of decisions are made it isn't that clear cut

So would now be a good time to let Bohn and Co. know that if they need additional money, to pay off this group of incompetent coaches, we the fans are willing to donate a little more?

I'd be willing to commit to a donation if it meant Embree was fired.

Assuming $2.5 mill is correct, how much revenue has been lost due to the fact we are a **** team??? If $ is an issue, hire a real HC and make Jon D-three the highest paid TE coach in college football.

Nice article by Ringo, it was nice to see him come out and tell it like it is. Needless to say it again but I will anyway, the buyout amount is questionable to say the least. Ringo is saying that CU needs to pay off the final 3 years of both Embree's and JE's contract, which isn't how a buyout works. And as Slade pointed out, if true that would actually total 3.5 million, not 2.25.

I thought these couple of lines were some of the best in the article:

CU has been demolished on the football field in seven consecutive games. The reputation of the program -- and, yes, the school -- has taken a hit.

Officials aren't doing their jobs if they don't at least consider every option regardless of costs. After all, there are few examples of coaches overcoming these types of situations in the past at other programs. The vast majority are eventually fired.

Ringo got told what the # was by his source/Bohn. No way he did the math independently. Wonder why Bohn is having him float inflated #s? I'm guessing the 2.5 mil # is to see what kind of backlash he gets.
If it's $2.5M, Bohn is a moron. He didn't learn a damn thing from the Hawkins fiasco.

If it's $2.5M, Bohn is a moron. He didn't learn a damn thing from the Hawkins fiasco.
Especially idiotic when you consider that he hired an unproven and inexperienced HC & OC, which would increase the odds of potentially needing to make a change before the contracts are up. Bohn is really a horrible negotiator.

Nice article by Ringo, it was nice to see him come out and tell it like it is. Needless to say it again but I will anyway, the buyout amount is questionable to say the least. Ringo is saying that CU needs to pay off the final 3 years of both Embree's and JE's contract, which isn't how a buyout works. And as Slade pointed out, if true that would actually total 3.5 million, not 2.25.

I thought these couple of lines were some of the best in the article:

This. When I read it, I knew it didn't add up under either scenario.

According to sources, Ringo's number is incorrect. The correct numbers have now been sent to him and hopefully he updates the online article.

The termination fee is what had been previously reported.

According to sources, Ringo's number is incorrect. The correct numbers have now been sent to him and hopefully he updates the online article.

The termination fee is what had been previously reported.

Thanks, nik. I think it was your tweet to him that got the ball rolling. I would think that if people see just how cheaply this coaching staff can be terminated, the decision will become much easier.

Thanks, nik. I think it was your tweet to him that got the ball rolling. I would think that if people see just how cheaply this coaching staff can be terminated, the decision will become much easier.

My tweet may have helped. Others have been emailing him and laying out the case, too. Hopefully it's all making an impact.

So would now be a good time to let Bohn and Co. know that if they need additional money, to pay off this group of incompetent coaches, we the fans are willing to donate a little more?

I'd be willing to commit to a donation if it meant Embree was fired.

I would be in for the same

I will give an immediate donation if Embree is fired, and I will also up my donation when I renew season tickets next year

Firstly, there are an ass ton of assumptions here.

Some of you are presuming that no contract absolutely equals no payout. In the real world where these types of decisions are made it isn't that clear cut
In the real world, some journalists are knuckleheads.

CU doesn't want you to know how cheap the termination charge is. Why? Beacause they would love to have Embree on staff with a very low salary through 2015 rather than be forced to hire a new coach at a real salary of $2 million. In that sense, the true cost to fire through 2015 could be $10 million.

Anyone suggesting that Embree get another year is not considering:

• How hard it will be to get assistants (ones who will supposedly turn everything around) to come here in a dead man walking year
  • The TWO additional lost recruiting years (2013, 2014) that will occur when (not if) Embree is fired after next season
  • The complete disaster that Embree is in terms of:

• Gameday coaching/in game adjustments
  • Quarterback evaluation and management
  • Practice habits
  • Staff management
  • Media relations
  • Sideline demeanor
  • treating student athletes like professionals, which clearly doesn't work (maybe for upperclassmen, but not for ours)
  • No discernible improvement in fundamental football or execution
  • "Lost the team"?

• Lost revenue/prestige/brand/relevance/respect. You can't put a dollar amount on these. In 2012, if you are not in the game, you are a joke. I'm worried that, while our historical prowess gets reduced on a weekly basis, that our return ceiling (our potential height of heights post 2012) is also getting reduced. What kind of a miracle, and how many years of scratching and clawing would it take for CU to compete for a National Championship again? Is it even possible with the damage done the last 7-10 years? Not all Embree's fault, but he is not the answer.

Embree had a very, very difficult job. The Hawkins mentality, which exists still in most of the upperclassmen, many of whom are supposedly our best players, has really done a number on the program. In hindsight, Embree should have kicked a lot of them off the team early on. But we are getting hammered every game. Opposing coaches and fanbases has defaulted to having pity for us and going to great lengths to not make the scores worse. That's the thing to me - we are getting crushed, but it could be so much worse, every week. But the notion that the right guy can't start to turn things around fairly quickly is mistaken; we've seen evidence of this in THREE instances THIS YEAR in the PAC12 South alone.

CU doesn't want you to know how cheap the termination charge is. Why? Beacause they would love to have Embree on staff with a very low salary through 2015 rather than be forced to hire a new coach at a real salary of $2 million. In that sense, the true cost to fire through 2015 could be $10 million.
I was wondering if the inaccuracy in Ringo's article was intentional. Then there is this gem at the end:

What makes more sense for the program right now? Riding it out with Embree and hoping his recruits develop and his scheme and staff changes work while pouring money into facilities changes? Or dumping another $2.25 million into a firing and then having to spend at least $2 million to hire a coach with a name and then another $2 million for his assistants?

I think people would be surprised at how good a transition class can be with the right staff in place. I am talking either 2013 or 2014 here.

I think people would be surprised at how good a transition class can be with the right staff in place. I am talking either 2013 or 2014 here.

It's a relatively small class this year. With a big hire, we could still salvage a decent class this year if we fired Embree now and hired a replacement quickly.

They have replaced the original article on Buffzone with a new one. The comments from last night in support of firing Embree are no longer there.

http://www.buffzone.com/cu-news/ci_22029907

do you mean the comments at the bottom of the article? because I still see this:

The case for firing Embree and his staff is pretty easy to make.

The results alone make it hard to argue in favor of retention. There is a laundry list of ugly numbers, lousy statistical rankings and record-setting performances by opponents that have made this fall a complete embarrassment to any self-respecting CU fan.

But there are deeper problems causing all those dubious achievements.

Coaches have had two springs, two fall camps and two full seasons to establish offensive and defensive identities and there still isn't one on either side of the ball. Embree has indicated he is contemplating a change to his offense, which means it might take longer still to establish the identity on that side of the ball.

The harsh reality here is that the identity of this program is that it's one of the worst in major college football and probably second worst from a Bowl Championship Series conference. The Buffs' win at Washington State this season is the only thing keeping them from the very bottom.

But let's be honest, if the Buffs and Cougars played the game over today, who do you suppose might win? As bad as Washington State has been this fall, it has been much more competitive in most of its games than CU.

There is a lack of player development and tangible improvement at many positions on both sides of the ball. Look no further than the quarterback position where three players have logged significant playing time and have received legitimate opportunities and failed to produce.

There have been signs of progress and improvement at offensive line, tight end and running back this season, but it hasn't been consistent progress. As soon as we give credit to one of those groups one week, that group seems to take a step back the next.

This might be the single biggest sore spot with CU fans.

Most Buffs' supporters came into this season knowing it likely wasn't going to end in a bowl game. They simply wanted to see improvement from their team and development of younger players over the course of the season and leadership from older players.

There is little evidence that any of that has occurred.

Coaches might see improvement in practices while paying attention to a freshman's technique or a sophomore's understanding of a scheme or play call, but fans don't see it on game day. Once again, look no further than the quarterback play. Performances there seem to be getting worse as the season has gone along.

That feeds the frustration and anger among fans because there is rarely anything positive to take away from games, which many fans pay $60 or more per seat to attend.

This staff was hired, in part, based on its past history of success in recruiting. The jury is still out on how good the 2012 class might be. After all, 16 members of the class haven't played a down of football yet because they are either redshirting or grayshirting.

But has this coaching staff landed a player so far that another veteran staff might not have been able to get? It's doubtful.

Is it just me or is $2.25mil not that much money? How much did it cost CU in ticket sales and brand reputation by keeping DII for the 5th year. It had to be way more than what the buyout would have been. Time for CU to learn from past mistakes instead of repeating them.

Basketball ticket sales are way up, including season tickets so it's not like the football team is funding the entire BBall operations like they used to.

Get rid of Embree & CO and conduct a proper search and hire a experienced big name coach to get this sinking ship fixed.

If CSfrickingU on a MWC budget can hire a big name coach and staff I'm sick of hearing about CU being too poor to spend any money.

Is it just me or is $2.25mil not that much money? How much did it cost CU in ticket sales and brand reputation by keeping DII for the 5th year. It had to be way more than what the buyout would have been. Time for CU to learn from past mistakes instead of repeating them.

Basketball ticket sales are way up, including season tickets so it's not like the football team is funding the entire BBall operations like they used to.

Get rid of Embree & CO and conduct a proper search and hire a experienced big name coach to get this sinking ship fixed.

If CSfrickingU on a MWC budget can hire a big name coach and staff I'm sick of hearing about CU being too poor to spend any money.

Keep in mind we have roughly 30 suites at 50K a year that are up for sale, how many companies will renew those to bring clients to a game just to watch our team get their asses kicked.

Ringo tweet

For those asking, the buyout numbers in my story today for Embree and Bieniemy are correct. I verified them with CU. Total of $2.25 million

Embree $500,000 a year for 3 years or $1.5 million. Bieniemy $250,000 for three years or $750,000.

Back