What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Ringo: CU Buffs officials face difficult decision on Jon Embree

So we can either pay $2.25 million to get rid of this mess and attempt to start over or we can pay JE and EB $1mil in salary to fail in 2013 thus reducing the amount we would need to pay them for a buyout at the end of 2013 to an additional $1mil for a total of $2mil.

Did I do the math correct?

If so the difference in firing them tomorrow or waiting until the end of 2013 is $250,000. How is this an issue?

You bring up a very good point. Again, the following assumes that current year salaries are already accounted for in the athletic department budget. (i.e. Embree's current $750,000 salary is already a part of the 2012/2013 fiscal year budget.)

If Embree is fired today, CU pays him $1.5 million ($500,000 x 3 remaining years on his contract)
TOTAL COST FOR TERMINATING EMBREE TODAY = $1.5 million (Embree would also receive what is left of his 2012/2013 salary - which is already accounted for in the budget.) So the total cost in NEW MONEY (i.e. money not a part of the 2012/2013 budget) TODAY would be $1.5 million.

If Embree comes back in 2013, CU pays him a salary of $750,000. (I consider this NEW MONEY because it isn't part of the 2012/2013 budget)
If he is then terminated at the end of the 2013 season, CU owes him $500,000 ($250,000 x 2 remaining years).
TOTAL COST FOR KEEPING EMBREE 1 MORE YEAR = $1.25 million (i.e. money that is not part of the 2012/2013 budget)

So in that regard, yes, keeping Embree 1 more year only saves the Buffs $250,000.

So we can either pay $2.25 million to get rid of this mess and attempt to start over or we can pay JE and EB $1mil in salary to fail in 2013 thus reducing the amount we would need to pay them for a buyout at the end of 2013 to an additional $1mil for a total of $2mil.

Did I do the math correct?

If so the difference in firing them tomorrow or waiting until the end of 2013 is $250,000. How is this an issue?

Truth. Not to mention mitigation. EB would definitely get a job with someone at at least half (more likely more) of his current salary. JE would probably do the same. You can cut that down significantly right there before even going into the legality of untouchable buyouts.

One would assume that a termination fee is mitigated by a requirement that the coaches would have to look for other employment and if they get a new job CU would only owe the difference between the new pay and the termination fees.

That's very standard.

Of course, this is CU.

Connect the dots...

Fire Embree now, the $250K will be made up through concessions and parking that will fall drastically if he remains as coach. Keep EB and demote him to RB coach; my guess is he will find a gig in the NFL and resign on his own.

Fire Embree now, the $250K will be made up through concessions and parking that will fall drastically if he remains as coach. Keep EB and demote him to RB coach; my guess is he will find a gig in the NFL and resign on his own.

I'm pretty sure attendance, concessions, and parking are all going to fall off dramatically regardless of whether Coach Embree is retained or not. We were riding a Pac-12 interest bubble for the last two years with season ticket sales, but no longer. No amount of new coach is going to change that. At somepoint, the 5-10k at the fringe of the fanbase that waffles on buying tickets is going to play wait-and-see, even if the next coach is a whale.

I have just sent an email to Bohn and the foundation letting them know that it was refreshing to see the article from Ringo and that I truly hope that replacing the staff is on the table. I also let them know that if it is done this weekend, I will immediately make an additional small donation and increase my level of contribution when renewals come in next year. If they do not make the move to replace the entire staff, I will cease donations and concentrate only on basketball until the time when they demonstrate a committment to football and being a winner. We will see and I truly hope this is on the table. While I know that not everyone is capable or willing, I would encourage everyone who can to reach out in the same manner. Let them know we support this change and the fans will stand with the department to help make it happen.

I've done the same and would recommend we all do, that article from Ringo was clearly a case of them taking the temperature of the fan base.

I emailed Bohn for a copy of the contracts under the Open Records Act. My guess is that I get no response or they request that I go through the Act's formal requirements.

I emailed Bohn for a copy of the contracts under the Open Records Act. My guess is that I get no response or they request that I go through the Act's formal requirements.
I'm very curious as to that response. I've toyed with that for a while. I bet CU could charge a couple hundred dollars to "find" and "copy" those records.

I looked into going the FIA route on the contract, but it seemed pretty shady jumping through all the hoops and then still not getting any guarantee you can find the contract.

I looked into going the FIA route on the contract, but it seemed pretty shady jumping through all the hoops and then still not getting any guarantee you can find the contract.
they will find the contract. The hoops aren't all that hard to jump through. It's just the $. Who wants to spend a couple hundred on this?

FOIA requests in Colorado can cost $$$$?

Costs of copies are to be "reasonable," not exceeding $0.25 per page for any standard sized page, and a fee not to exceed actual costs of providing a copy for other sized pages.. Colo. Rev. Stat. § 24-72-205(1), (5)(a). In practice, costs of copies depend upon the agency.Only "nominal" fees may be charged for search and retrieval, if there are no copies made. Black v. Southwestern Water Conservation Dist., 74 P.3d 462 (Colo. App. 2003).

FOIA requests in Colorado can cost $$$$?

Costs of copies are to be "reasonable," not exceeding $0.25 per page for any standard sized page, and a fee not to exceed actual costs of providing a copy for other sized pages.. Colo. Rev. Stat. § 24-72-205(1), (5)(a). In practice, costs of copies depend upon the agency.Only "nominal" fees may be charged for search and retrieval, if there are no copies made. Black v. Southwestern Water Conservation Dist., 74 P.3d 462 (Colo. App. 2003).
Having been through this, yes, yes they can. It takes time (read: $$) for someone to search through the records of a public agency. They can charge for that time, as well as the copies. Note the caveat in your quote. If they make any copies at all, they can charge more than "nominal" fees.

I'm pretty sure attendance, concessions, and parking are all going to fall off dramatically regardless of whether Coach Embree is retained or not. We were riding a Pac-12 interest bubble for the last two years with season ticket sales, but no longer. No amount of new coach is going to change that. At somepoint, the 5-10k at the fringe of the fanbase that waffles on buying tickets is going to play wait-and-see, even if the next coach is a whale.

Not so fast my friend. If they hire a solid name for the Buffs, I think the drop off will be minimal.

Does a miracle win Friday really change your opinion of his performance that much? It'd change my opinion of Whittingham much more than that of Embree.
No. He had that chance in the post Oregon/Stanford/USC gauntlet. He failed. Miserably.

Does a miracle win Friday really change your opinion of his performance that much? It'd change my opinion of Whittingham much more than that of Embree.

It doesnt change my opinion 1 bit he's useless. That said it will cement the fact he's coming back, so why keep yapping at that point?

You guys might be on to something. I was going in to Friday's game with the slightest glimmer of hope that we might pull off a miracle and win. That may be the worst possible outcome in the long term.

Strangely enough, a win on Friday would be an epic disaster. Step one of getting rid of this staff is to lose on Friday by large margin in front of 30k or less.

I'm very curious as to that response. I've toyed with that for a while. I bet CU could charge a couple hundred dollars to "find" and "copy" those records.
No response yet (don't expect one). I emailed Britanny Anas to inquire if she remembers the source of her figures and/or if she reviewed the contracts.

Back