1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ringo: Not all fans are upset CU might have to join MWC

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by JimmyBuff, Jun 8, 2010.

1. JimmyBuff

JimmyBuff Well-Known Member

:lol:

What a clown. Hey Ringo no one gives a **** about basketball in Colorado you frickin tool. And the 2 million or less we would get from a TV deal wouldn't do anything for us.

2. Jens1893

Jens1893 Moderator Club Member Junta Member

*facepalm*

No, going from the Majors to the Minors ain´t such a bad thing at all. We´d fall even further behind in the grand scheme of things, but HEY!, we might actually win the tea pot cup once in a while. Our situation IN THE CONFERENCE probably wouldn´t change all that much, but the extra change would definitely help us compete in the grand scheme of things.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2010
  3. Timbuff10

Timbuff10 Member

Fire Dan Hawkins!

4. buffsyko

buffsyko Club Member Club Member

The MWC would be icing on the cake for this dumbass regime. If it happens, I am done.

5. Ruckus

Ruckus Peep my words. Club Member

Despite the MWC's success (i guess) in the recent past with TCU, BYU, Utah and the success of Boise, it would be a disgrace for our (The University of Colorado) school to join a conference of theirs. I don't want to look it up, but I am pretty sure no school from the current MWC has a National Championship or and Heisman Trophy. Yes, some of the schools have had more success recently, but they are nothing compared to us historically. I know it sucks to talk about the past because we hate NU for doing the same, but we are not as ****ty as we are now, normally. It deeply saddens me that we would even consider trying to be a team in a conference with mid(yeah I ****ing said it)-majors.

6. Unleash Hell

Unleash Hell Well-Known Member

BYU won a national title in the 80's and Ty Detmer won the heisman in 1990 as BYU's QB. TCU has two national titles in the 30's. Thats all I can think of at the top of my head.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2010
  7. JimmyBuff

Let's make it a double.
    [​IMG]

Its amazing that people in our own media aren't seeing the big picture.

BYU and Utah are solid programs. I wouldn't mind them coming to the Big 12 or going with us to the Pac 10. The rest is crap and that's including the Horned Frogs.

8. Unleash Hell

Unleash Hell Well-Known Member

TCU is solid for as long as Patterson is there.

9. JimmyBuff

They play in a high school stadium and have very few alums. They are no better than Baylor but I agree that Patterson is a good coach.

10. The Guest

The Guest Guest

Doooods. We used to be a member of the Big 8...one of the most gnarley conferences in the history of smash-mouth football. The Big XII North was a step down (ultimately--though it started strongly), and we didn't do our part to prop it up. And now we're considering joining the Mountain West?

Look, I recognize that nearly every team in that conference would have beaten us last season, but in the big picture, shouldn't we desire to be a member of the most prestigious conference available?

11. JimmyBuff

This is the biggest indictment of the administration. Especially since it wasn't like the Corn were a powerhouse this decade. We just let it **** away with our finger up our ass while the whole South and other non traditional football programs (kansas, Missouri) passed us.

12. The Guest

The Guest Guest

I find it eerie that you know what I was doing last decade. ****ing stalker.

13. Clean Undies

Clean Undies Flagship of the 12-Pac Club Member

The Denver Chamber of Commerce must be lazy. CU in the Pac 16 puts Denver smack dab in the middle between the 5 B12S teams and the 4 northern Pac10 teams.

This geographical dimesion plus access to a large airport creates all kinds of opportunities for Denver to be a hub for any number of conference tournements and events. Business leaders in charge of the regions hotels, bars and athletic venues should be drooling at the prospect of hosting Pac16 travellers comimg to watch Pac16 events.

You'd think somebody would be stepping up to the plate and championing that view.

14. GoBuffs!!

GoBuffs!! Active Member

Pretty sweet Texas is backing their schools, and we have D-Bags like this here distroying ours

15. Mick Ronson

Mick Ronson Well-Known Member

joining the MWC would be like going to the Jr. High Prom as a High School senior. Maybe even as a FR in college. It might be great for a while to be the big man, but really it's just sad.

16. Clean Undies

Clean Undies Flagship of the 12-Pac Club Member

17. The Guest

The Guest Guest

I consider this a bad analogy; and that's all I'm gonna say.

18. buff4bcs1985

buff4bcs1985 Hail to the King

wow wally i feel sad for you...:lol:

we all know ringo is our chip... i wonder if this is a trial balloon

19. dply

dply Doble hoja Club Member

You know what they say about junior high schools girls right?

20. ScottyBuff

ScottyBuff Well-Known Member

Obviously the idea of WANTING to go to the MWC is stupid, if we have options with the Pac-10 or Big 12 (or even Big Ten).

I am not a Ringo defender but the article wasn't wrong in any context.

His lone statement of "Not every CU supporter looks at landing in the Mountain West with Kansas and Kansas State in a bad light"

is probably, and unfortunately, accurate. But that doesn't mean it is an educated opinion, nor one that he was championing, IMO.

Some fans don't get it that the conference makes the bucks for each school. Some fans think that all conferences are "equal", or would rather play the regional schools more often. It doesn't mean anyone should listen to them.

It is the same thing as explaining to Colorado tax-payers that Hawkins' contract buyout would not use state money.

21. MiamiBuffs

MiamiBuffs Wᴉɐɯᴉ qnɟɟs Club Member

In one thread you suggest playing cupcakes. And in this one you oppose playing cupcakes. Which is it?

We are already on our way to being a have not. We have a crummy coach. A small fan base and a small stadium. We can't recruit top tier players. We can't afford to fire our coach. Maybe the MWC wouldn't be such a bad deal anyways.

A friend of mine is a high up prof thats 1 step from being a department head at CU. He told me more or less that the good ole days of loose admissions are gone. He suggested I be happy just winning a big game every once in awhile and maybe winning the conference once a decade.

22. CsquaredCC

CsquaredCC Well-Known Member

Everyone seems to be pretty emotional about this right now - but somehow I think many people's opinions would change if, for example, the Buffs were playing in a BCS game a month after winning a MWC title game over BYU that was played at Invesco Field in Denver.

23. leftybuff

leftybuff Iconoclast Club Member

Well Kyle, count me as one of the CU supporters who has no interest whatsoever in the Mtn. Weenie.....

24. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

If I'm reading this right, I think what he's saying is that all things considered, we'd all much rather be in the Pac. If, for whatever reason, that doesn't work out, where we end up might not be the gaping hole of sucktitude that we're making it out to be.

25. HotRack

HotRack Rez BubbleHead Club Member

Maybe not "gaping" but definitely still a "hole of suckitude."

26. CsquaredCC

CsquaredCC Well-Known Member

In so many words...yes. Colorado in the MWC would make it a Colorado/Denver driven conference. Throw in an annual nationally televised championship game in Denver and a BCS birth and I just don't understand all the outrage.

I can totally understand wanting to play with the "Big Boys", but why do it at the expense of being in a PAC-16 division where everything is again dominated by Texas. If I were a Buff's fan I would be sick an tired of dealing with a Texas program that has no interest in the success or failure of the CU program (or any program for that matter) so long as they get their inequitably payout.

1 person likes this.
  27. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

If it doesn't work out, and we do have to form a new league, I'd make sure that any team in the league would have to meet some pretty strict guidelines in terms of athletic budgets & stadium capacity. We can't have a bunch of also-rans.

28. JimmyBuff

yeah cupcakes in nonconference is different than cupcakes in conference play.

29. stampy

stampy Well-Known Member

Think about a hybrid B12N/MWC with Boise St. Utah, TCU, BYU, Boise St (hypothetically), that's not exactly tiptoeing through the tulips. AF is no slouch either, and like it or not, KSU, KU and ISU have been competitive w/ CU in the recent past. The MWC sent 5 of their 8 teams to bowls last year and went 4-1, including BSU they would be 5-1, with TCU being the only loser to BSU.

30. MiamiBuffs

MiamiBuffs Wᴉɐɯᴉ qnɟɟs Club Member

I think it really depends on who is left. What if Texas dictates only 4 teams (UT A&M OU OSU) into the Pac 10? Why share so much revenue when your the engine? Anyway, there are a lot of scenarios here and some of them include us being excluded. Maybe there is a new Big 8 again with CUx, ISU, KSU, KU, BU, NUx, MUx, Team X. Maybe stealing a BSU or Utah