What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Ringo on Mike MacIntyre

Like I said I haven't seen even one play of SJSU. If he looks like a serious candidate, maybe I'll watch some of the links. It's not like my opinion matters anyway.

I agree with you on the pro style, I wouldn't be advocating for MacIntyre if he ran it.

From what I could gather, it doesn't seem like he uses any hurry up, but maybe he just doesn't see the point in using it at sea level? All I know is, his offense put up more points against Stanford than Oregon did.

I'm also not sure why we're against the 4-3 now. His 4-3 looks to be very aggressive with a lot of blitzing which works for me.

I agree with you on the pro style, I wouldn't be advocating for MacIntyre if he ran it.

From what I could gather, it doesn't seem like he uses any hurry up, but maybe he just doesn't see the point in using it at sea level? All I know is, his offense put up more points against Stanford than Oregon did.

I'm also not sure why we're against the 4-3 now. His 4-3 looks to be very aggressive with a lot of blitzing which works for me.
I have always been a big fan of the 4-3. Odd fronts require that enormous dude that only seems to go to Alabama to take up two gaps....

3-4 you have to have the right guys, 4-3 like Denver runs would suit me. Who is that guy that can rush and cover a little

Purdy: Mike MacIntyre's miracle at San Jose State - Inside Bay Area http://www.insidebayarea.com/mark-purdy/ci_22148046/purdy-mike-macintyres-miracle-at-san-jose-state

Worth reading

Thanks for the read, Jens. Pretty good, but this statement is what turns me off to coaches in lower tiers that do well....

The 2012 season began with a hard-fought 20-17 loss to eventual Pac-12 champion Stanford, but the Spartans rolled to 10 victories in the next 11 games, including signature victories over bowl-bound San Diego State, Navy and BYU. It also helped that the landscape of San Jose State's league -- the WAC -- had changed radically. Two of the conference's best football programs, Boise State and Fresno State, had joined the Mountain West. They were replaced by less powerful programs Texas State and Texas-San Antonio. This lessened the week-by-week physical toll on the Spartans and allowed them to get on a roll.

This is one thing that Hawk wasn't prepared for when he came to Colorado - the fact he had to bring it week in week out when he got to the in-conference schedule. Couple that with his believing his Boise model for recruiting (get the low 3's high 2' with a chip on their shoulder for not getting a BCS offer) would continue to work at a BCS school destroyed him and CU.

Color me skeptical - but if we can't do better than MacIntyre or DeRuyter I'd prefer MacIntyre due to 3 years and the rebuiding project at SJSU.

I liked his recruiting strategy. WHy haven't any of our last few coaches taken that approach to Colorado? I know we don't have as rich of talent but every year we have at least 5 BCS worthy players in the state. We should be getting 4 of them.

Plus if we got him, we get the advantage of his previously developed relationships with high schools throughout Cali. Would be nice to know specifics on why Cal and USF didn't work out. Hopefully USF didn't work because he is holding out for CU :)

i'll be relatively happy if we hire macintyre. Bring in Stitt as offensive coordinator for bonus points

The "Dykes in Berkeley" experiment isn't going to work out. If they honestly think Dykes is the guy to vastly improve over Tedford and take them to a Rose Bowl, they're going to be extremely disappointed. Dykes will be good for the 6-7 win seasons that they all started hating Tedford for. Dykes went 9-3 at La Tech this year. Great. With the team he had and the schedule he had, that's actually some serious underachieving and La Tech fans were disappointed.

That said, I'm glad MacIntyre is still around. I like the background. I like that he's a defense guy. How can you not be impressed with taking SJSU from discussing shutting down their football program entirely and winning 1 game in his first season, to now two years later sitting with 10 wins and ranked 24th in the country at San Jose State?!?! That's remarkable. Would it be nice for this to be his 4th year having produced two great seasons? Obviously. However, if Bohn doesn't have any tricks up his sleeve for a big name hire and we land MacIntyre, I will be on board. I like some of his staff, too.

Maybe this is how superstitions are born, but isn't it weird how RSSBot kept updating us on San Jose State all season long? Don't tell me that's just coincidence (seriously, don't burst my bubble). It's fate, man.

One thing good about lower-level program coaches. If they have any success at all (even a single year out of, uh, three, for example), then they are coaching-up.

They MUST. They do NOT select their recruits - they accept the left-overs and non-qualifiers. They select MAYBE from that pool (which may be large, by the way), but even then, the Selection Process is hugely compressed and those understaffed smaller programs have to do a LOT of work, especially with late notifications of non-qualifiers PLUS all other recruits that didn't get Offers from their big-time favorites.

This of course leads to many selection mistakes. "I thought he could play better" is going to be every coaching staff's mantra. The successful ones will then reply, "Then we have to coach 'im up."

This CAN be one advantage from that smaller-program experience - they adjust their systems to the Actual Talent They Have. They don't blue-sky their dream and pretend they can run something they can't. They not only have great chances to coach 'em up, but any success indicates "I have seen the possible systems, and this is the best for our talent."

One thing good about lower-level program coaches. If they have any success at all (even a single year out of, uh, three, for example), then they are coaching-up.

They MUST. They do NOT select their recruits - they accept the left-overs and non-qualifiers. They select MAYBE from that pool (which may be large, by the way), but even then, the Selection Process is hugely compressed and those understaffed smaller programs have to do a LOT of work, especially with late notifications of non-qualifiers PLUS all other recruits that didn't get Offers from their big-time favorites.

This of course leads to many selection mistakes. "I thought he could play better" is going to be every coaching staff's mantra. The successful ones will then reply, "Then we have to coach 'im up."

This CAN be one advantage from that smaller-program experience - they adjust their systems to the Actual Talent They Have. They don't blue-sky their dream and pretend they can run something they can't. They not only have great chances to coach 'em up, but any success indicates "I have seen the possible systems, and this is the best for our talent."

+1

Back