What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Ringo Twitter (Les Miles)

Weird the amount of respect they gave us. I was expecting to be blasted.

I really think that the CU job is a premier job when you get down to it. Yes we have been in the bottom of the Big 12 lately, and all the Big 12 guys will say we are a crap school, but when you hear about CU outside of there, many feel it is a good place to go.

I really think that the CU job is a premier job when you get down to it. Yes we have been in the bottom of the Big 12 lately, and all the Big 12 guys will say we are a crap school, but when you hear about CU outside of there, many feel it is a good place to go.

It is just nice to hear people not related to CU speaking well about us. I usually don't read comments even in the local papers because they just rip us to shreds. I think that Colorado should be one of the top jobs that coaches want to go to.

What was also funny is that one of them mentioned that, should Miles leave, he didn't trust the LSU AD with the new hire .... ring any bells??

No offense, but I am about to offend some people. On paper Les Miles seems like a fantastic hire (who I would gladly take), but I have to agree with Sackman. Something in my gut doesn't feel right about this hire.

Barnett always could coach.

That wasn't why he was fired. Recruiting, PR and Team Discipline failures are what did him in.

Yep, e.g., he left us with BJ as QB. Cody as a true freshman would have been a better option.

Yep, e.g., he left us with BJ as QB. Cody as a true freshman would have been a better option.
Correction - Barnett left us with Brian White as the heir apparent QB, but Hawk never considered him and he left. White is/was better than any QB we've had here since Klatt.

Correction - Barnett left us with Brian White as the heir apparent QB, but Hawk never considered him and he left. White is/was better than any QB we've had here since Klatt.

Completely agree.

+1. GB also left James Cox, who I believe had some personal issues going on that made it tough for jhim to be effective his Sr. year. I watched the kid, he had an arm and was mobile. Too bad things did not pan out for him.

Brian White was a player. He never did much after he transferred to Portland St. but I agree, he was better than anybody Hawk has borught in.

Was White just too much of a Barnett guy? I don't recall why DII ran him out of town.

Last edited:
The key characteristic of a top premier job is that a coach will not leave said job to take another job unless there are special circumstances. I don’t think CU fits that bill. I would put CU one step down, but only one step. If CU were able to pay top-tier pay, then CU might be in the premier category, but that’s part of what defines a premier position/school in this context.

Was White just too much of a Barnett guy? I don't recall why DII ran him out town.

It's been a while, but apparently, BW wasn't too enthused with the vision DH had for CU FB. There were some allegations about BW being lax in learning the "Boise playbook". In retrospect, BW was probably run off, I don't believe the "Boise playbook" was anything but a Hawk ruse to get a fat paycheck. It looks like DH's playbook was to get CH on the field.

It's been a while, but apparently, BW wasn't too enthused with the vision DH had for CU FB. There were some allegations about BW being lax in learning the "Boise playbook". In retrospect, BW was probably run off, I don't believe the "Boise playbook" was anything but a Hawk ruse to get a fat paycheck. It looks like DH's playbook was to get CH on the field.

The playbook is complicated. Run on first down, penalty, two yard pass, two yard pass, punt.

The worst thing about that damn playbook is that it appears to require absolute perfection. There is no room for a slight mistake by any one of the 11 players on the field of the play falls apart...at least that is what I gather by our continued offensive ineffectivenss and continually hearing this regime mention missed assignments being the cause of the breakdown.

Give me a break Hawk...GTFO!!!!!

The worst thing about that damn playbook is that it appears to require absolute perfection. There is no room for a slight mistake by any one of the 11 players on the field of the play falls apart...at least that is what I gather by our continued offensive ineffectivenss and continually hearing this regime mention missed assignments being the cause of the breakdown.

Give me a break Hawk...GTFO!!!!!

This may be true. If you listened to Alfred, Schlereth and D-Mac yesterday they discussed this very issue in regards to the Broncos. They explained a play in the Raiders game where Beadles (RG) was asked to block in a certain way on a play which failed miserably. They explained how he should not have been asked to block in such a way because there was no way any O-lineman would be able to do it correctly.

Then they explained how Alex Gibbs would routinely get in huge arguments with Shanahan when Shanny would design a play that Gibbs didn't think his O-line could execute.

It makes me think this coaching staff is designing these plays on paper and not thinking about what their players can actually execute.

Not only that, but after White bailed a good coach would adjust his playbook to the talent pool. BJ was amazingly athletic and would have possibly excelled in a read spread or option type of offense. He had no chance in the Boise system.

Not only that, but after White bailed a good coach would adjust his playbook to the talent pool. BJ was amazingly athletic and would have possibly excelled in a read spread or option type of offense. He had no chance in the Boise system.

I guess this is the biggest disappointment for me with this staff. I assumed that they would be masterful in utilizing/planning around the talent they had...I could not have been more wrong in my assumptions. All of the evidence we needed as proof of Hawkins' incompetence was masterfully displayed in that great Montana State game.

Does anyone ever look back on 2008 and wonder what may have been if we had lost to WVU?

I guess this is the biggest disappointment for me with this staff. I assumed that they would be masterful in utilizing/planning around the talent they had...I could not have been more wrong in my assumptions. All of the evidence we needed as proof of Hawkins' incompetence was masterfully displayed in that great Montana State game.

Does anyone ever look back on 2008 and wonder what may have been if we had lost to WVU?
Yes. I recently rewatched that game on DVR. It was a winder CU won. CH turned it over twice deep in WVU territory. WVU mismanaged the clock like nobody's business at the end. If CU had lost maybe MB would have put that extension in his back pocket for a while. Given how DH subsequently shat himself, I like to think it never would have come out again and we would be watching the tail end of year number one of CU's recovery from the Hawk disaster right now.

Analysis doesn't work for a number of reasons. Most importantly, hiring Les Miles in 2010 is different than hiring Les Miles as a 1st time HC in 2001 at OSU. He's got a national championship and national rep now. But even after that OSU job performance that doesn't impress you, he was selected by the people at LSU to replace Nick Saban in 2004. But he's not good enough for CU 58 wins and a ring later? Huh?

Honestly, if Miles isn't up to snuff for people then I give up. He's among the elite active college football coaches with Mack Brown, Bob Stoops, Jim Tressel, Urban Meyer and Nick Saban. No one else has had similar success over the past 6 seasons.

(Sorry for going on a bit of a rant, but this is driving me crazy. I swear, if a Logan fan like Woody Paige blasts Miles then I think my head's gonna explode. :lol:)

:yeahthat:

Thanks for the correction - I completely forgot about Brian White. Jackson couldn't throw, even a little bit, so maybe he could run a wishbone or something, but he really belonged on the receiving end of the ball, either by handoff or pass (don't know about his "hands").

Yes. I recently rewatched that game on DVR. It was a winder CU won. CH turned it over twice deep in WVU territory. WVU mismanaged the clock like nobody's business at the end. If CU had lost maybe MB would have put that extension in his back pocket for a while. Given how DH subsequently shat himself, I like to think it never would have come out again and we would be watching the tail end of year number one of CU's recovery from the Hawk disaster right now.

...and maybe we could have saved a scholarship for a game-time kicker.

Back