1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ringo with a great idea RE: Cabral

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by Buffnik, Nov 28, 2009.

1. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

http://buffzone.pmpblogs.com/2009/11/28/time-to-start-handing-out-t-shirts-again/

Ringo just wrote in his blog that Cabral should coach some of CU's special teams in addition to his duties coaching the linebackers.

He cites how Cabral was a special teams captain with the Bears and how he coached some of GB's special teams (including the Punt Return unit in 2001 when, iirc, we had an ok season :wink2:).

I love this idea! Props to Ringo for bringing this up. Hopefully this will happen. In fact, I'd like to see him promoted to Special Teams Coordinator. He has said he knows he needs coordinator experience on his resume to make the career advances he dreams of and this would be a perfect opportunity for him to do it at CU so we can keep him around another couple/few years.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2009
  2. The Guest

The Guest Guest

Sounds solid to me. Does anybody have a strong opinion regarding the job Coach Riddle is doing as the TE coach?

3. JimmyBuff

JimmyBuff Well-Known Member

We need new blood on the coaching staff.

4. SBG

SBG Formerly known as EFNMB Club Member Junta Member

Anything to get rid of Riddle

5. ScottyBuff

ScottyBuff Well-Known Member

Tough call since we are graduating so many seniors this year.

He recruited Deehan and he seems pretty high on him as a coach, from what I can tell. Riddle will have his work cutout for him in 2010 (if he returns) at TE. All the more reason to alleviate some of his ST duties.

It seems like Cabral could be doing alot more for us, in an official capacity at least. And expanding his duties might help keep him here since he aspires to be a HC some day.

Oh yeah, and since someone else (besides Hawk) thought it up, it will never happen, no matter how much sense it makes.

6. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

I don't have a strong opinion. I've seen nothing to complain about and he did seem to hold it together in 2008 when we were down to pretty much a true freshman (Deehan) and not much else at one point last season. He did a nice job as a RB coach at Boise, too. Pretty good recruiter, disciplined ex-Army coach, success as a position coach... I can definitely make an argument for him to remain on the staff, but it's hard to justify him as a Special Teams Coordinator after the past 4 years.

7. Idot Buff

Idot Buff Club Member Club Member

Completely clean house...(even Cabral....he must be stagnant by now).

8. White_Rabbit

White_Rabbit Club Member Club Member

Excellent plan, someone call Bohn to tell him how you can help out with such an awesome idea.

9. AlferdJasper

AlferdJasper Well-Known Member

Cabral stays. I'd like to keep Hagan, too, but I won't fall on my sword over it.

:thumbsup:

10. MtnBuff

MtnBuff Not allowed in Barzil 2 Club Member

I would go beyond that. A lot of schools have head coaches that are the face of the program and serve kind of like a CEO but leave the real coaching to others.

Make Cabral the Associate Head Coach and give him the Defense and Special Teams. Let Hawk be intricately involved in recruiting and the offense.

I think that Cabral knows what it takes to be ready to play emotionally and physically, the players like and respect him and what he does, he knows how to prepare and to adjust.

May be enough to make him more interested in staying and save Hawk some embarassment at doing what he has obviously failed at.

11. BinaryBuff

BinaryBuff mmmm...beer Club Member

I'm all for giving more responsibility to Cabral, but I'm doubting that Hawk will make any substantial changes in his coaches. I would love some type of change in the special teams though, that's been a sore spot for at least 4 years now and we've had the same guy coaching there for the past 4 years. Coincidence?