1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rivals Top 10 Recruiting States

Discussion in 'University of Colorado Recruiting Archive' started by CVilleBuff, Jul 19, 2011.

1. CVilleBuff

CVilleBuff Club Member Club Member

http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1239398

Nothing shocking, but interesting to see. I actually am a little surprised to see NJ only at #10, but it's hard to say who they should be ahead of. Alabama has the smallest population of any state on the list (4.8 mil), which is basically even with the current population of Colorado.

Nice mention for the Buffs under California too.

2. BehindEnemyLines

BehindEnemyLines beware the habu Club Member

Virginia and North Carolina are the surprises to me. When I think of that area, I think of b-ball.

3. J.R. Ewing

J.R. Ewing Club Member Club Member

I'm a little surprised that Louisiana isn't on that list. That state seems to churn out d-linemen faster than it produces heart attact victims. I'm thinking that if it weren't for Katrina, Louisiana would be on the bottom end of that list.

4. zbuff

zbuff Club Member Club Member

..except the way they word it, it sounds like they don't know we're one of the teams that made the PAC-12.

"The other schools in what was the Pac-10 (now Pac-12) have also feasted on California talent, as have programs such as Colorado and Notre Dame."

5. Creebuzz

Creebuzz Club Member Club Member

On a per person basis, imho no region of the country produces athletes better than the tidewater region of Virginia.

6. CVilleBuff

This. It's unbelievable what comes out of the Tidewater region of Virginia - Newport News, Hampton, etc. have some very tough neighborhoods in which excelling at football (or basketball) is the only way out. All athletes from the Tidewater have a very distinct swagger and fearlessness in their game. This year alone it's conceivable that Alabama, Virginia Tech, Clemson and UVA will all have starting QB's from the area, while Wisconsin will be starting Russell Wilson from up the road in Richmond. 757 Tidewater has definitely produced its basketball studs as well - such as Allen Iverson - but football is king. Even Iverson was an unbelievable quarterback who could have played at any major D1 school. Generally speaking, football is king in Virginia while basketball is king in North Carolina.

From Lawrence Taylor to Michael Vick to Percy Harvin the area has long been a hotbed that can go toe to toe with anywhere in the country. Other areas of VA have strong football as well, Richmond, Northern Virginia (huge population boom in the DC suburbs), Roanoke.

7. whatthebuff

whatthebuff Club Member Club Member

Interesting. I wonder why UVA does not benefit from all that talent? Can't remember the last time they were good.

8. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Most of those kids can't get into UVA. Va Tech has risen to prominence based on that talent. They kill it in that area.

9. dply

dply Doble hoja Club Member

10. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

Muck City is a pretty amazing story. Saw a few features on it a couple years ago.

11. CVilleBuff

UVA was very solid in the 90s when they were getting Tidewater talent. Then UVA underwent a coaching change and Michael Vick went to Tech (because UVA thought they were getting Ronald Curry who was considered better than Vick, but Curry changed his mind and went to UNC) . UVA hired the pompous asshole Al Groh, who thought he could ignore recruiting Virginia in favor of New Jersey and Pennsylvania. That didn't turn out so well. Last year under new coach Mike London UVA cleaned up in the Tidewater, out-recruiting VT in the area for the first time in 10 years. They're off to a great start again this year, so perhaps a paradigm shift is occurring. Buffnik is also correct in that it's certainly easier to get into Tech as opposed to UVA.

12. BehindEnemyLines

BehindEnemyLines beware the habu Club Member

Let me clarify my statement -- I was surprised by the #'s, not the quality of players from those 2 states.

13. CVilleBuff

Just to update what I was saying about 757 Tidewater and recruiting there, UVA got their 8th commitment (19th overall) from the 757 today, 4/5* DE Eli Harold from Virginia Beach, #2 player in VA. They put together a Top 25 class last year, and they've already got at least three 4* this year depending on the site. Future looks bright for them

14. CVilleBuff