What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

RMS Ticket Sales

So what exactly went down between CU and Air Force? Everyone talks about the bad things we did be there is not a single story or detail.

So what exactly went down between CU and Air Force? Everyone talks about the bad things we did be there is not a single story or detail.

Alex Lewis roughed up a cadet in front of his girlfriend near Pearl Street. Nebraska was involved. It was horrid.

One story I heard was the club hockey teams got into a pretty good fight and, as a result, were banned from playing each other.

What's wrong with playing one of them a year?

If you have a problem with playing CSU every year, it seems pretty dumb to say a rotation would suddenly make everything okay. CA, TX, and real-live P5 teams would be infinitely better.

If you have a problem with playing CSU every year, it seems pretty dumb to say a rotation would suddenly make everything okay. CA, TX, and real-live P5 teams would be infinitely better.

A regional matchup is good for business. The game with the lambs has just gotten old and stagnant. Would love for CSU, Wyo, AFA, or UNM to be the weakest team on our schedule. Leaving us 2 games to play p5 teams.

So what is it? Good for business or nothing to be gained from it by CU? You guys are being wholly inconsistent here.

I don't have a problem with playing CSU. My two problems with playing CSU:

1. Location
2. Their 'fans'

Then you still have two other games outside of the conference to play a team from Texas or two

Are we trying to grow the CU fanbase with non-conference games or not? Regional games certainly would suggest the latter.

Are we trying to grow the CU fanbase with non-conference games or not? Regional games certainly would suggest the latter.

Say we were to play AFA, a p5 school like Vandy, and a power like Meatchicken. THat is a good line up that accomplishes a bunch of goals.

Both can't be accomplished? Get TT, TCU, Houston or one of the mid-tier Texas teams as another game and add one more. Hell, maybe with the front range games you add some more fans from Wyoming or New Mexico.

I would be looking at the demographics of transplants very closely. Where are they moving from and what team(s) have they followed in the past? JMO, but most longtime Front Range fans are set in their ways. Newbies (and there will be a LOT) are the target audience.

The CU fan experience would benefit from having six games in Boulder every year plus 1 road trip within an easy drive. Make that regional road trip on-campus.

I would be looking at the demographics of transplants very closely. Where are they moving from and what team(s) have they followed in the past? JMO, but most longtime Front Range fans are set in their ways. Newbies (and there will be a LOT) are the target audience.

Very good idea, and probably the smartest way to approach it

A regional matchup is good for business. The game with the lambs has just gotten old and stagnant. Would love for CSU, Wyo, AFA, or UNM to be the weakest team on our schedule. Leaving us 2 games to play p5 teams.

Playing a power conference school is good for business. Granted, preferably when we're capable of winning such games. However, I'm pretty sure facing a B10, BXII or ACC school will create far more excitement than New Mexico. Does facing UNM or Wyo really get us all jacked up? Not really.

Playing a power conference school is good for business. Granted, preferably when we're capable of winning such games. However, I'm pretty sure facing a B10, BXII or ACC school will create far more excitement than New Mexico. Does facing UNM or Wyo really get us all jacked up? Not really.
No but would it create more general regional interest? Probably. Not among the die hards, the casual fans on the front range that have family that went to UNM or went to UNM themselves.

Very good idea, and probably the smartest way to approach it

I am not opposed to regional games either. Just think if we are going to ditch the RMS, let's not lock ourselves into a yearly regional opponent. Those games certainly have their place.

So what is it? Good for business or nothing to be gained from it by CU? You guys are being wholly inconsistent here.

There is value in playing a regional opponent. It's good for business and it's good to give back when you're the big money flagship. Kind of like Ohio State having a MAC opponent from Ohio on its schedule pretty much every year. I think what people are saying is that to play a CSU or WYO or UNM or AFA most years has some positive attributes and could be a good thing. Manufacturing a "rivalry" with one of them is not a good thing since it cheapens the CU brand.

I'm with Duff on this. Schedule opponents that grow the brand and gets recruits in our footprint ( SDSU, SJSU, UHouston) and current players excited (other P5 schools). Every other year throw a more local opponent; Wyo, UNM, AFA on there but no more often than that.

I long for the days when our out of conference schedule is hard as ****. The program isn't to that point yet. I don't see having a game against AF or UNM, etc, a terrible game for us. I do see some SEC team put a beat down on us as not good. Although I do hope we do start playing the Auburns and Alabama's of the world eventually.

I don't know about that. How much excitement is there against Iowa State, Kansas State, Vanderbilt, Northwestern, Purdue, Indiana, Mississippi State, and various other middling and cellar dwelling P5 foes?

From my personal experience, the opportunity to road trip to a campus was a cornerstone of indoctrination as a life long college football fan. Making a pilgrimage with a bunch of college buddies and experiencing some different, new, and exotic campus under the excuse of a CU football game is right there with the Vegas road trip or Marti Gras outing for the college kid bucket list. College in Boulder is fantastic, and nothing punctuates that opinion more than conquering some other college town under a CU football banner. Unfortunately the distance between CU and other P12 schools requires an airplane, which severely limits the number of students who show up on any given Saturday.

Some of the most cherished sporting moments for the most recent crop of CU students will undoubtedly include going to CSU, NCAA in ABQ, or the P12 tourney in Vegas and cheering the buffs basketball team on the road. There really is nothing like that for football...mostly because a neutral Mile High stadium is the only and closest option, and hanging out in Denver is nothing like going into legitimate enemy territory.

I don't know about that. How much excitement is there against Iowa State, Kansas State, Vanderbilt, Northwestern, Purdue, Indiana, Mississippi State, and various other middling and cellar dwelling P5 foes?

From my personal experience, the opportunity to road trip to a campus was a cornerstone of indoctrination as a life long college football fan. Making a pilgrimage with a bunch of college buddies and experiencing some different, new, and exotic campus under the excuse of a CU football game is right there with the Vegas road trip or Marti Gras outing for the college kid bucket list. College in Boulder is fantastic, and nothing punctuates that opinion more than conquering some other college town under a CU football banner. Unfortunately the distance between CU and other P12 schools requires an airplane, which severely limits the number of students who show up on any given Saturday.

Some of the most cherished sporting moments for the most recent crop of CU students will undoubtedly include going to CSU, NCAA in ABQ, or the P12 tourney in Vegas and cheering the buffs basketball team on the road. There really is nothing like that for football...mostly because a neutral Mile High stadium is the only and closest option, and hanging out in Denver is nothing like going into legitimate enemy territory.

I hear what you are saying with the rest of your post and agree in large part, but to the bolded, these games against P5 would probably be featured on a national broadcast. Whether that be ESPN2 or the ESPN Thursday night game etc. A game like puts the CU Buffaloes in millions of homes across the country each year.

I hear what you are saying with the rest of your post and agree in large part, but to the bolded, these games against P5 would probably be featured on a national broadcast. Whether that be ESPN2 or the ESPN Thursday night game etc. A game like puts the CU Buffaloes in millions of homes across the country each year.

Sure. But do we need to play 3 of those on top of 9 Pac-12 games?

There's going to be at least 1 game against a non-P5 program every year. Often 2 games. I'm good if half or more of the time it's a CO or border state team. I also see the value in mixing in to that some programs like Tulsa, Tulane, SMU, Houston, SDSU, SJSU, UNLV, Rice, Hawaii and Memphis. Those get exposure in areas we may want to do some recruiting.

As an example, I would be pretty damn happy with a schedule that looked like this:

4 home against Pac-12 + B1G team and Wyoming
5 road against Pac-12 + @ Houston

Or...

5 home against Pac-12 + Houston
4 road against Pac-12 + @ Wyoming and @ B1G team

(Substitute Wyoming for any of CSU, UNM and AFA / Substitute Houston for any of the programs I listed above / Substitute B1G for any P5)

I think the Toledo and Ohio State disasters soured me a little bit when it comes to worshipping at the altar of ESPN too much.

I like Nik's idea better. HTown is no pushover either, they'll kick our ass if we don't come ready to go. They might anyway, gonna have to score in that one, unless they drop significantly?

Back