What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Road trip report -- Palo Alton and Stanford

Sportsfan101

My thoughts on the road trip:

1. The CU alumni party before the game was a good time. It was held in the soccer fields next to the stadium, and there was a good contingent of Buff fans there. Coach Boyle spoke (mentioned that the Pac-12 is really helping recruiting), the pep band was there, and a "wedding band" style band played as well. I'd say there were about 1/2 of the fans in Palo Alto than made the trip to Berkeley last year -- a great turnout (better than any I've ever seen in the Big 12), but CU's poor start definitely kept some fans away.

2. The renovated Stanford Stadium is a very nice venue. It reminds me of Coors Field or some of the newish baseball stadiums with its wide open concourse with a view of the field. I don't think there were bleachers at all -- stadium-style seating only. It was a little anti-septic, but a nice place to watch a game. Great tailgating, too. And I love that Stanford has permanent bathroom structures in the tailgate parking lots -- more stadiums should do this.

3. That being said, Stanford Stadium has no real home field advantage. The game was almost (?) sold out, but the fans are definitely more "West Coast-ish" in their passsion. Everyone I noticed was sitting back versus the front of their seats and it was a very quiet stadium. I keep telling people that CU will have one of the best home field advantages in the Pac-12 -- and its true. Boulder is a much, much more difficult place to play than each of the California schools, anyway.

4. The CU pep band did a great job. Even when the score was 48-7, they were blowing (as they say) and the kids next to them were having a great time. I got a kick out of the CU students chanting "beat...the....spread." The Stanford fans got a good chuckle out of that one.

5. There were a TON of things going on in SF this weekend. Fleet Week was amazing (blue angels and other military trick planes), Oracle conference with 45k people, Taiwan celebration, etc etc. What a great city.

6. Overall, even though we got killed (I'll have a post later on my football-only thoughts), I can't recommend the road trip enough. I've now done the Boulder to Berkeley and Boulder to Palo Alto roadies, and they're both phenomenal. SO much better than Lincoln/Aimes/Stillwater/Norman/Lubbock/Manhattan/Lawrence/etc/etc/etc it's not even funny. I love the Pac-12. However, in my last 2 roadies CU has lost by a combined score of 100-14. Unbelievable.

Back