What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Roby still chasing his dream

Recently, scouts and executives have the former Buff on the brain again after his stellar play during the NBA Developmental League finals. Roby averaged 19 points and 5.7 rebounds for the Rio Grande Valley Vipers during the three-game finals last week.

Roby still wonders if his NBA dreams would have come true if he hadn`t broken his hand before the pre-draft camps three years ago. Having already made some good money in Israel, he decided to come back home and played for the Denver Nuggets` Summer League team in 2010.

After playing eight games with Halcones Rojos de Veracruz in Mexico, he signed with Rio Grande Valley.

"The D-League is the most-scouted league in the world," Roby said. "So this season should help. ... I think I`m pretty close. I just need to keep working on my game and get to a (training) camp and perform."

Good luck, Richard. Buff nation is pulling for you.

:gobuffs:

Hope something good for him results from his hard work and tenacity. RGV is in Harlingen, TX...Harlingen is a real sh*thole - hopefully Roby never has to play there again.

I will never forget Roby's comment to the media after a game during Patton's last season. It was something like: "I see other teams setting screens and running plays designed to get their scorers open looks, and I wonder why we don't do the same thing." Don't think I've ever felt worse for a player than I did for Roby right then. It'll be good to see him in an NBA uniform some day!

I will never forget Roby's comment to the media after a game during Patton's last season. It was something like: "I see other teams setting screens and running plays designed to get their scorers open looks, and I wonder why we don't do the same thing." Don't think I've ever felt worse for a player than I did for Roby right then. It'll be good to see him in an NBA uniform some day!

what you didn't buy into RP's statement that we ran an O similar to Beilien's "flex" perimeter game at WVU? except for the 4 guys standing flat-footed on the perimeter looking at each other, the utter absence of backdoor cuts for easy hoops, and typified by passing the ball around the horn until there were 9 secs on the shot clock (or jacking a 3 immediately).....it was just the same.

yeah, that's sad. go get em Rich.

I really think that Roby's biggest issue with not being drafted into the NBA was his inability to create shots. He would make the plays when needed, but he didnt create offense something you see Burks was doing all the time. Many of those issues were likely from the inability of any of his teammates setting him up.

Was Roby superstar enough to take on a complete team and consistantly score on them? no, but with a few screens, he was able to take on his offender and possibly a double team with rather ease.

I was never much of a fan of Roby's play, but I have to admit seeing between Roby's play and Patton's coaching did make it hard. Even as sucessful as he was, I think he would have been even more sucessful player with a different coach.

I was never much of a fan of Roby's play, but I have to admit seeing between Roby's play and Patton's coaching did make it hard. Even as sucessful as he was, I think he would have been even more sucessful player with a different coach.

And I know that Bz was his coach the final year, but that first Bz year was pretty painful, too many personalities.

I really think that Roby's biggest issue with not being drafted into the NBA was his inability to create shots. He would make the plays when needed, but he didnt create offense something you see Burks was doing all the time. Many of those issues were likely from the inability of any of his teammates setting him up.

Was Roby superstar enough to take on a complete team and consistantly score on them? no, but with a few screens, he was able to take on his offender and possibly a double team with rather ease.

never got strong enough to fight off double teams and physical play on the perimeter once he became "the guy" to stop. and, usually in the new coach scenario, you give the ball to your best player (a la Tad and Burks this year)....in year 1 Bz, Roby averaged 11 shots a game because we were trying to execute the system. we beat Baylor and almost OU in the Big XII tournament in the only two games i recall Bz let Marcus Hall and RR open it up at the guard position. and remember, that Baylor team was very guard-centric with Jerrells, Aaron Bruce, Tweety Carter...and another pretty good player name i forget.

Back