1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Roby still chasing his dream

Discussion in 'Colorado Basketball Message Board' started by RSSBot, May 1, 2011.

1. RSSBot

RSSBot News Junkie

By Ryan Thorburn Camera Sports Writer

Photo courtesy of NBA There is a part of Richard Roby that wishes he would have left Colorado early for the NBA Draft when his stock was high.

Originally posted by Daily Camera
    Click here to view the article.

2. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Good luck, Richard. Buff nation is pulling for you.

:gobuffs:

3. HotRack

HotRack Rez BubbleHead Club Member

Hope something good for him results from his hard work and tenacity. RGV is in Harlingen, TX...Harlingen is a real sh*thole - hopefully Roby never has to play there again.

4. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

Eff yes roby, kill it.

5. BehindEnemyLines

BehindEnemyLines beware the habu Club Member

I admire people who do not quit. Good RR!

6. Scotch

Scotch Registered User Club Member Junta Member

I will never forget Roby's comment to the media after a game during Patton's last season. It was something like: "I see other teams setting screens and running plays designed to get their scorers open looks, and I wonder why we don't do the same thing." Don't think I've ever felt worse for a player than I did for Roby right then. It'll be good to see him in an NBA uniform some day!

7. Mick Ronson

Mick Ronson Well-Known Member

what you didn't buy into RP's statement that we ran an O similar to Beilien's "flex" perimeter game at WVU? except for the 4 guys standing flat-footed on the perimeter looking at each other, the utter absence of backdoor cuts for easy hoops, and typified by passing the ball around the horn until there were 9 secs on the shot clock (or jacking a 3 immediately).....it was just the same.

yeah, that's sad. go get em Rich.

8. GoBuffs!!

GoBuffs!! Active Member

I really think that Roby's biggest issue with not being drafted into the NBA was his inability to create shots. He would make the plays when needed, but he didnt create offense something you see Burks was doing all the time. Many of those issues were likely from the inability of any of his teammates setting him up.

Was Roby superstar enough to take on a complete team and consistantly score on them? no, but with a few screens, he was able to take on his offender and possibly a double team with rather ease.

I was never much of a fan of Roby's play, but I have to admit seeing between Roby's play and Patton's coaching did make it hard. Even as sucessful as he was, I think he would have been even more sucessful player with a different coach.

9. GoBuffs!!

GoBuffs!! Active Member

And I know that Bz was his coach the final year, but that first Bz year was pretty painful, too many personalities.

10. Mick Ronson

Mick Ronson Well-Known Member

never got strong enough to fight off double teams and physical play on the perimeter once he became "the guy" to stop. and, usually in the new coach scenario, you give the ball to your best player (a la Tad and Burks this year)....in year 1 Bz, Roby averaged 11 shots a game because we were trying to execute the system. we beat Baylor and almost OU in the Big XII tournament in the only two games i recall Bz let Marcus Hall and RR open it up at the guard position. and remember, that Baylor team was very guard-centric with Jerrells, Aaron Bruce, Tweety Carter...and another pretty good player name i forget.