What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Rocky Mountain Showdown - News & Updates

CU will likely sell out their allotment in FoCo and probably dominate the tickets available on the 2nd market. CU will do fine financially and the fact we get another ,almost guaranteed to sellout, game at Folsom is a big win.

As Nik said, the visitor fee payout for CU going to Fort Collins will be on par with what CU requires. You are not smarter than Rick George when it comes to the financial matters of scheduling college football games.
Spot on here

So is meeting at the Egg and I in Longmont the equivalent of meeting at Sparks Steak House in NYC?

I wouldn't mind a two for one deal but otherwise the game is pointless for cu.

Given the following...
  1. Must fill three non conference games per year.
  2. Schedule two slots with beatable opponent (G5 or less).
  3. Try not to schedule someone with too low excitement value (Tulsa, Sisters of the Blind) so tickets are sold.
  4. Look for an opponent that will still get the game on Network TV (Revenue, Air Time)

Playing CSU therefore offers the following advantages
  1. Play annually with significantly lower cost overhead (no charter plane or hotel stay)
  2. Is a decent, beatable G5 team
  3. Local team with many alums generates local TV and water cooler interest (CSU > Tulsa, Sisters of the Blind). Tickets sell well.
  4. Game usually ends up on network TV.

Thus, I dont think the game is truly pointless given the other options. It would not be wise in our current state to be scheduling Ohio State, Florida State, or Alabama. Or even some middling teams from those conferences.

The CU CSU game in the past has been a national featured game. It'll be interesting to see when we play Air Force if it makes an important TV slot or if its relegated to regional only cable coverage. Since were recruiting now in Florida and Texas I'd think we'd at least like to try to be on TV there.

Given the following...
  1. Must fill three non conference games per year.
  2. Schedule two slots with beatable opponent (G5 or less).
  3. Try not to schedule someone with too low excitement value (Tulsa, Sisters of the Blind) so tickets are sold.
  4. Look for an opponent that will still get the game on Network TV (Revenue, Air Time)

Playing CSU therefore offers the following advantages
  1. Play annually with significantly lower cost overhead (no charter plane or hotel stay)
  2. Is a decent, beatable G5 team
  3. Local team with many alums generates local TV and water cooler interest (CSU > Tulsa, Sisters of the Blind). Tickets sell well.
  4. Game almost usually ends up on network TV.

Thus, I dont think the game is truly pointless given the other options. It would not be wise in our current state to be scheduling Ohio State, Florida State, or Alabama. Or even some middling teams from those conferences. It'll be interesting to see when we play Air Force if it makes an important TV slot or if its relegated to regional only coverage. The CU CSU game in the past has been a national featured game. Since were recruiting now in Florida and Texas I'd think we'd at least like to try to be on TV there.
good post. ugh.

The new stadium is going to be nice. At least for a couple years, and the college football atmosphere will be better there than at Mile High.
Yeah, but I do think the impetus is on us to turn it into Folsom Field North.

That is probably the worst night I have ever had at Folsom, watching those idiots storm and destroy our field...

Buffs came out so flat for that one. Deserved to lose. However, if the targeting call had been correctly made on that hit Scotty took at the end then CU is in position to finish its last drive to win the game.

**** HaLkins!

That is probably the worst night I have ever had at Folsom, watching those idiots storm and destroy our field...
Worst game I ever attended at Folsom (maybe with the exception of Sac State and Montana State), that's for sure... I actually had a spectacular night, after that though, iirc.

It limits our options unnecessarily.
What options? We're going to schedule some G5 team every year anyway and as a fan it's nice that one of our "road" games is less than a 90 minute drive from Denver. Road games that are easily accessible to our fans is a good thing. If you're in favor of a break every few years to schedule some other teams, that's fine, but a 2 for 1 doesn't give us more options really.

I agree with Sacky....Shouldn't be doing 1 for 1 deals with the CSU makes no sense. Why intentionally decrease our revenue streams and continually play a game that can only hurt the program (Win and its ok as it was expected, lose and the harm that year is tough to overcome). The negative list is growing.

The same could be said for any G5 school we put on the schedule. Replace CSU with Idaho, or UMASS, or (gasp) Hawaii and you have the same problem where a loss hurts and there's far less excitement at Folsom when UMass visits. CSU is a pretty fun game when it's on campus and CU wins 90% of the time.

That was my first game as a student. Just terrible. Bryce Givens had to of had 10 penalties that night and most of his holding calls were on plays we actually did something.

Worst game I ever attended at Folsom (maybe with the exception of Sac State and Montana State), that's for sure... I actually had a spectacular night, after that though, iirc.
Band had to line up and march through/past them in the north part of the stadium. Actually had to reorder our lines to put the upperclassmen guys on the edges in case the ram fans decided to get rowdy. Didn't have any cops or argus folks around. Was not fun. Pretty sure the only reason that nothing got violent was because the CSU band started clapping for us as we exited.

I don't remember hearing anyone complain about the addition of Air Force to our schedule. My discontent with the RMS has always been about the venue. If we schedule games on campus with CSU, further complaining from our fanbase starts to look like fear of losing.

Not that I want to relive that awful game experience, but two of my favorite Folsom memories came against CSU (Billingsley's goal line stand and Crosby's long game winner). The only one at Mile High that really compares to those, IMO, was Klatt vs BVP in the lightning game (may be the best RMS game of all time). That's why having this game back on campus is so important.

I don't remember hearing anyone complain about the addition of Air Force to our schedule. My discontent with the RMS has always been about the venue. If we schedule games on campus with CSU, further complaining from our fanbase starts to look like fear of losing.

Playing AFA is not a compelling game. There are not a lot of alums in state. And the ones that are here live by the honor code even after leaving the service. I.e., not rowdy or exciting. Whereas our students and fans have ample opportunity to make asses of themselves by contrast. I dont think there is much honor in beating a service academy either.

Great point!!! It also takes away the argument that I often hear from Ram Fans that we are taking our ball and going home. Not a good look to live in the past and not acknowledge the mutual hate on the gridiron.

Playing AFA is not a compelling game. There are not a lot of alums in state. And the ones that are here live by the honor code even after leaving the service. I.e., not rowdy or exciting. Whereas our students and fans have ample opportunity to make asses of themselves by contrast. I dont think there is much honor in beating a service academy either.
AFA people definitely get rowdy. The students aren't really allowed to but those games are really fun to go to and they have a big fan base down in the springs/Denver.

Not that I want to relive that awful game experience, but two of my favorite Folsom memories came against CSU (Billingsley's goal line stand and Crosby's long game winner). The only one at Mile High that really compares to those, IMO, was Klatt vs BVP in the lightning game (may be the best RMS game of all time). That's why having this game back on campus is so important.
My freshman year (1998) was the first CSU game in Denver at the old Mile High. CSU was ranked #15 (I think) and Moschetti completely torched them 42-14. It was awesome.

AFA people definitely get rowdy. The students aren't really allowed to but those games are really fun to go to and they have a big fan base down in the springs/Denver.

Also, UCCS is growing like crazy so we have some CU fans from the larger university system who will be in attendance. Good opportunity for them to connect with the program. Since they don't have a football team, I'd assume they would be Buff fans for football. They should be. On that note, I'd like to see the Buffs schedule some sort of event (fall scrimmage?) there in future years once UCCS finishes its 2020 master plan for a 4k seat soccer and t&f facility. http://gomountainlions.com/sports/2014/6/25/GEN_0625140510.aspx?id=14

My freshman year (1998) was the first CSU game in Denver at the old Mile High. CSU was ranked #15 (I think) and Moschetti completely torched them 42-14. It was awesome.
Was that the year before the tear gas game where CSU rolled us? I was 11 or 12 at the time, so it's a little fuzzy how everything went down.

I like the fact we are gonna play Air Force. I enjoy watching all the service academies play. Takes you back awhile. CSU I don't really but will trust George's decision on it, sure their are others involved in it I'd assume.

Was that the year before the tear gas game where CSU rolled us? I was 11 or 12 at the time, so it's a little fuzzy how everything went down.
Yeah, complete reversal the following year. We were ranked in the top 15 and they whipped us 41-14.

Back