What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Roll Call for the CU Football Preview Luncheon on February 3rd?

If you watch the Embree Press Conference video, you will hear more from him than we did today. Surprisingly, very little was said about the new football excellence fund. They left pledge slips at every seat, but there was not near the time spent on fundraising as I have seen at previous luncheons.

I met Coach Brookhart.

I think there were some other buffs and stuff there. Everybody talked a lot. We ate.

The food was good although the pound-cake croutons in the salad were a bit of a surprise.

I met Coach Brookhart.

I think there were some other buffs and stuff there. Everybody talked a lot. We ate.

The food was good although the pound-cake croutons in the salad were a bit of a surprise.

You're ****ing kidding me, right? The coaches spoke. The former heisman trophy winner spoke. And you're talking about the ****ING CROUTONS!!!?!?????????

You're ****ing kidding me, right? The coaches spoke. The former heisman trophy winner spoke. And you're talking about the ****ING CROUTONS!!!?!?????????

Oh, what did you want to know?

allright... let me get my best thinking cap on and try to write up some kind of summary. But, seriously ... pound cake croutons. and grapes. grapes in the salad. Very interesting.

He's flirting with some serious neg rep. If I wasn't concerned about losing our only expert in all things kicking, I'd neg rep him into the stone age for playing with us like that!

allright... let me get my best thinking cap on and try to write up some kind of summary. But, seriously ... pound cake croutons. and grapes. grapes in the salad. Very interesting.

funny like those videos we see of a kid breaking his arm or taking one to the stones. a little painful but funny.

Ha ha - our table spent about 10 minutes talking about the salad too. It was odd.

I'll try to write something up later too. Rashaan was AWESOME - hilarious. Felt badly because he was so nervous to public speak but he did a great job. He read his application letter to La Jolla Country Day School where he said his goal was to play football in college and win the Heisman (but he spelled Heisman incorrectly on his letter). Good stuff. More tidbits later - back to work for now.

Absolutely AMAZING!!!! Everyone was on point! The energy is the room was electric, complete strangers saying GO BUFFS to each other. Hell, I even had two parking attendants say it to me! I recorded the whole damn thing for you guys to post on here, but after reviewing the tape the quality isn't great. I really can't write anything up right now after taking a 3.5 hour lunch today and spending my entire day in the office yesterday reading about Buffs recruiting and sending text updates to the Buff Faithful! As soon as I have a few free minutes I'll send you guys some highlights. One quick one: I spent about 10 minutes taking to Rashaan Salaam. I thanked him for being a great Buff and welcomed him back to CU since we hadn't seen him in 9 years. I asked him if Hawk ever invited him back to campus, "Never once, Hawkins was all about ego. His ego was more important than the Colorado Buffaloes"! So I asked him if we'll be see more of him now and he said "Absolutely, Embo, EB... those are my boys, I'll be here all the time"! We parted ways with a GO BUFFS!!! More later...

First off, I’ve been to the last few of these luncheons and the crowd was HUGE compared to last year’s sleepover. Mark Johnson, the emcee, remarked how last year Ralphie ran down the center of the event and never touched a person – something like that. It was a little dig at just how bad it was last year: tiny turnout and people who were depressed and anxious.

Twelve hundred people - imagine that? It was like a turnout for a Kardashian wedding – if there ever is one. I bit the bullet and reserved a table for ten about a month ago, then sent the word out to friends. (If I didn’t fill it, I’d be buying the empty seats myself.) But I got 10, then a waiting list, then people calling me yesterday who wanted “in.”

There were many MANY former buffs in the room, not just those on the coaching staff. Last night, Blake Street Tavern (one of my favorites), held a private party for any member of the “C” club (athletes who lettered at CU, any time) and many of these guys stayed over and came to the luncheon. Or were coming in for the luncheon, so they came a day early and went to the BST party- however you want to look at it.

The highlights of buffs, and great plays, past and present were streaming during the meet, greet and find your table portion. The crowd would glance up, recognize a player (who might be in the room), such as Bienemy or Salaam, and there would be a spontaneous murmur or cheer.

The event started with a group of CU cheerleaders up on stage, cheering, leading cheers and then breaking into the fight song. (Our super-gymnast cheerleader did not perform.)

Lots of speakers: I’m not going to get these in perfect order, but Tad Boyle spoke briefly, Larry Scott of the PAC 12 spoke and gave Embree a PAC 12 hat (someone quipped – usually when a recruit puts on a new hat, it means he’s going somewhere, but Embree isn’t leaving…), McCartney spoke with conviction and passion, saying in particular that for a metamorphoses to occur, turning limestone into marble, you need intense heat, pressure and time. He said that CU was going to be like that under Embree – he and his coaches have the intense heat in their passion for the program, and they have the pressure to succeed, and we need to give them time for the change to occur.

Embree introduced all the Colorado coaches in the room. Embree gave a synopsis of each coach’s career, and listed the qualities or experience that made him THE guy for this job. Each was warmly applauded, until they got to Brian Cabral, who received a standing ovation. For me, that was one of the most emotional moments of the luncheon, seeing everyone recognize Cabral and what he means to this program. Hagan, introduced as the recruiting coordinator that Embree hopes to have back on the field sometime, was also warmly applauded. (All the coaches got applause, but Cabral was off the charts, and Hagan’s was louder and more prolonged than some of the new guys.)

Rasham Salaam spoke and read an essay that he had written 9th grade with the topic of what goals he had in life and how he planned to achieve them. One of those goals was to play football at a top university and he said, “I’ll probably win the Heisman” and will get a married at 30 and have two kids. (He broke from the reading for a second and said almost to himself, “well that didn’t happen.”) He was not a polished speaker, seemed nervous at first, but the crowd so truly responded to everything that he marched on and got better as he spoke.

There was the usual introduction of the recruiting class – and Embree talked about how little time they had, and how they had to go after kids they were sure they could get – they couldn’t waste any time. Cabral told Embree he could flip a certain kid, and Embree said, “Okay, if you’re sure” so they tripped out to Hawaii and Cabral brought him in. Embree said the were able to get 7 recruits who were committed to other schools – and he said wistfully “I thought it was going to be 8.” (No clue which player he referenced, but there are a few it might have been. Your guess as good as mine.)

Bohn explained the fundraising materials at each table and we were encouraged to compete for prizes by seeing which table could raise the most money during lunch. I forgot 3rd place, but second place was Blake Street Tavern’s table, and first place went to a table identified as CU Alumni.

Extremely minute details: Mark Johnson held up a lost credit card that had been found, and announced the name on the card was Sam Wilder. He also jokingly thanked Sam for the donation he’d made to the CU foundation and hoped his limit was really $10,000. (I tried to find Sam after the event to introduce myself, but he slipped out before I could catch him to say I knew his dad.)

So, you want to know more about the salad now, those carmelized walnuts and so on?
I skipped desert, but I could make a few calls and get a review.

Last edited:
First off, I’ve been to the last few of these luncheons and the crowd was HUGE compared to last year’s sleepover. Mark Johnson, the emcee, remarked how last year Ralphie ran down the center of the event and never touched a person – something like that. It was a little dig at just how bad it was last year: tiny turnout and people who were depressed and anxious.

Twelve hundred people - imagine that? It was like a turnout for a Kardashian wedding – if there ever is one. I bit the bullet and reserved a table for ten about a month ago, then sent the word out to friends. (If I didn’t fill it, I’d be buying the empty seats myself.) But I got 10, then a waiting list, then people calling me yesterday who wanted “in.”

There were many MANY former buffs in the room, not just those on the coaching staff. Last night, Blake Street Tavern (one of my favorites), held a private party for any member of the “C” club (athletes who lettered at CU, any time) and many of these guys stayed over and came to the luncheon. Or were coming in for the luncheon, so they came a day early and went to the BST party- however you want to look at it.

The highlights of buffs, and great plays, past and present were streaming during the meet, greet and find your table portion. The crowd would glance up, recognize a player (who might be in the room), such as Bienemy or Salaam, and there would be a spontaneous murmur or cheer.

The event started with a group of CU cheerleaders up on stage, cheering, leading cheers and then breaking into the fight song. (Our super-gymnast cheerleader did not perform.)

Lots of speakers: I’m not going to get these in perfect order, but Tad Boyle spoke briefly, Larry Scott of the PAC 12 spoke and gave Embree a PAC 12 hat (someone quipped – usually when a recruit puts on a new hat, it means he’s going somewhere, but Embree isn’t leaving…), McCartney spoke with conviction and passion, saying in particular that for a metamorphoses to occur, turning limestone into marble, you need intense heat, pressure and time. He said that CU was going to be like that under Embree – he and his coaches have the intense heat in their passion for the program, and they have the pressure to succeed, and we need to give them time for the change to occur.

Embree introduced all the Colorado coaches in the room. Embree gave a synopsis of each coach’s career, and listed the qualities or experience that made him THE guy for this job. Each was warmly applauded, until they got to Brian Cabral, who received a standing ovation. For me, that was one of the most emotional moments of the luncheon, seeing everyone recognize Cabral and what he means to this program. Hagan, introduced as the recruiting coordinator that Embree hopes to have back on the field sometime, was also warmly applauded. (All the coaches got applause, but Cabral was off the charts, and Hagan’s was louder and more prolonged than some of the new guys.)

Rasham Salaam spoke and read an essay that he had written 9th grade with the topic of what goals he had in life and how he planned to achieve them. One of those goals was to play football at a top university and he said, “I’ll probably win the Heisman” and will get a married at 30 and have two kids. (He broke from the reading for a second and said almost to himself, “well that didn’t happen.”) He was not a polished speaker, seemed nervous at first, but the crowd so truly responded to everything that he marched on and got better as he spoke.

There was the usual introduction of the recruiting class – and Embree talked about how little time they had, and how they had to go after kids they were sure they could get – they couldn’t waste any time. Cabral told Embree he could flip a certain kid, and Embree said, “Okay, if you’re sure” so they tripped out to Hawaii and Cabral brought him in. Embree said the were able to get 7 recruits who were committed to other schools – and he said wistfully “I thought it was going to be 8.” (No clue which player he referenced, but there are a few it might have been. Your guess as good as mine.)

Bohn explained the fundraising materials at each table and we were encouraged to compete for prizes by seeing which table could raise the most money during lunch. I forgot 3rd place, but second place was Blake Street Tavern’s table, and first place went to a table identified as CU Alumni.

Extremely minute details: Mark Johnson held up a lost credit card that had been found, and announced the name on the card was Sam Wilder. He also jokingly thanked Sam for the donation he’d made to the CU foundation and hoped his limit was really $10,000. (I tried to find Sam after the event to introduce myself, but he slipped out before I could catch him to say I knew his dad.)

So, you want to know more about the salad now, those carmelized walnuts and so on?
I skipped desert, but I could make a few calls and get a review.

ymssr

Forgot, Embree had a special shout-out to two recruits: Brady Daigh and Marc Mustoe. Brady's mom was in the crowd (not sure he knew that.) He said that he planned to work hard on getting the top Colorado kids, and wanted to recognize two guys who could have gone elsewhere, but stayed in state. That drew a lot of applause, too.

Are you serious about Sam? Thats hilarious, good, but ****ing hilarious. :lol::lol::lol:

sorry, I know Sam personally

Are you serious about Sam? Thats hilarious, good, but ****ing hilarious. :lol::lol::lol:

sorry, I know Sam personally

Absolutely. I don't know Sam, but I know his dad, so when he trekked up to grab the card, I memorized where he was sitting, but just couldn't get over to say hi. Not that it would have made any sense, but his dad would have gotten a kick out of it.

Back